any smoker-cyclists out there

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by mksalazar, Dec 20, 2004.

1. mksalazar

mksalazar New Member

..besides me? i'm just curious as to how many of you out there light up a cig after a long ride besides me..

Tags:

2. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

Yep. All the time. Right now, my monthly miles have dipped considerably. During the spring/summer months, I'm pedaling 5-700 miles and the smoking goes by the wayside. Come November here in Pittsburgh, the miles drop down below 200 and I try to keep fit on the mountain bike and trainer but it's just not the same. My diet turns to crap and I find myself at too many holiday parties and before you know it, out come the Marlboro lights.

Actually, the best smoke I ever had was last July when I beat the local crowd in a century by riding it solo in about 5 1/2 hours (with a hell of a headwind and 85 degrees to boot). I was packing up in my car and had a big smoke as two rivals of mine crossed the line. The looks on their faces while I was racking up my bike with a smoke was awesome. Of course I trained my ass off for that ride and hadn't smoked for three months prior but boy that one felt good.

Any time my friends ask me how I can smoke and ride my bike so much, I just tell them how much more I'd be smoking if I DIDN'T ride a bike so much. Hey, we're not all Lance. I ride to stay in shape and I enjoy the hell out of it. No, smoking isn't good for me but neither is too much scotch, driving fast, eating cheese fries or hooking up with too many waitresses in college but I'm alive God Damnit and I'll enjoy my life as I see fit. We're all just a heartbeat away from who knows what. The last thing I want to do is leave a healthy corpse. When I go, I want nothing left.

3. till!

till! New Member

I smoked and rode a bike for years, but no longer smoke. People think all weird freakish fitness things about you if you ride a bike, and they arent necessarily true. Its not like people that smoke give up driving or buses, so why give up bikes?

till

4. LottomagicZ4941

LottomagicZ4941 New Member

"People think all weird freakish fitness things about you if you ride a bike, and they arent necessarily true. Its not like people that smoke give up driving or buses, so why give up bikes?"

Treu that steriotypes are not always accurate. However, I would bet big money that cyclist have a lower percentage of smoking then the general population.

And I'll bet that those cyclest who do smoke smoke less then other smokers.

If anyone knows the stats on this please post.

5. mksalazar

mksalazar New Member

i love looking at the tour de france pictures where guys are smoking on their bikes.. i know a lot of pro european soccer players smoke. and i think that socceer uses your cardiovasculars as much or almost as much as riding a road race does.. nevertheless i usually light up while riding and it drives my buddies nuts.. haha

6. till!

till! New Member

Haha, been to china? A lot of smoking bike riders there.

till

7. waterboy420

waterboy420 New Member

I used to smoke and ride, but found it too hard to breathe deeply during harder riding. Now the 10 extra pounds I gained from the quitting process are kicking my ass . . . Oh well, should've never started.

8. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

When I was still a smoker I never smoked while riding because I was embarassed. I didn't want to be seen as a bicyclist who smoked. I knew then as most know that smoking ruins your lungs and bicyclist need good lungs.

I quit smoking over ten years ago, but I had not been bicycling regularly. Now I bicycle regularly and am grateful that my lungs are clear (I'm 52).

On the bicycle trail I use regularly there is this guy who rides all the time. I was shocked one day to see him on the side of the trail lighting up a smoke. It definately is my impression that the majority of cyclists are non-smokers and that is why it is so unusual to see a cyclist that smokes. Of course, I ride a biycle trail and many smokers are not into cycling as seriously as many others are and might not ride on the trails. I see some people who smoke and ride that seem to do so probably because they lost their liscence to drive a car.

9. EnigManiac

EnigManiac New Member

I have a smoke when riding only after I leave the bar (cuz I can't smoke in the bar anymore), but on commutes (when I'm sober) I don't smoke. I sure need that ciggy when I lock up the bike. Almost like I earned it.

10. midgie

midgie New Member

Unfortunately I smoke, actually while I'm riding if I'm on the Cruiser. How stupid is that. You would think after dying up a hill, a cigarette would not be the thing I'd want most. And being all of 5'2", if I quit smoking I would be as round as I am high.(I know, bad excuse) It's a goal of mine to eventually quit, just have to really want to.

11. Alpha

Alpha New Member

I smoke, but never on a ride. It's also a fact that smokers who get regular exercise are much healthier than non-smokering couch potatoes.

12. tjocesq

tjocesq New Member

I smoke and ride--not at the same time. I had quit for years--got stressed and lit up again. Didn't give up the riding, though. I do get some looks from colleagues that know I smoke and know how much I ride.
    I know smoking is bad, etc.,etc., I get irritated when I am lectured by a non-smoker who doesn't exercise.

anyway--good post--thought I was alone!

13. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Ughhh! Quit for 2 years (after 18), and then fell off the wagon- I hope to get my shit together and quit again, now that it's warming up and my lungs are burning on the bike. It was the only reason I quit in the first place...hopefully I can push a little harder and do it again.
    As for the folks who lecture, I just pee on their shoe while they are Blah-Blahing...almost as satisfying as a smoke after a lousy day.

14. howierart

howierart New Member

Im an intermittent smoker of Marlboro lights myself. Picked it up during my years as a student., it soon bbecomes an association thing with drinking alchohol.. Now the guilt kills me especially with regards to cycling. I can give up for the week but when it comes to freinds and the pub at weekends! Ive never smoked on my bike though bought cigarettes after a crash or serious mechanical failure! I do seem to find though that my hill climbing abilities increase enourmously after three days of not smoking!

15. LottomagicZ4941

LottomagicZ4941 New Member

My understanding is it is better to be either a heavy smoker or a heavy drinker then to do both.

The body gets confused which poison to kick out between the alchol and the nicotine so they both stay in the system longer and do more damage.

Tried to buy a beer the other day but I did not have my ID on me so no beer.

www.lef.org for health and nutritional info. Though they once had and my still have an afilate program I'm not a member of the program.

Actually let my membership expire because they generally will have a discount eventually.

16. tjocesq

tjocesq New Member

If I recall correctly--alcohol increases the brain's absorption of nicotine which is why a majority of people smoke more when they drink. it takes more cigarrettes to get the same effect that the smoker is craving when alcohol is in the system.

Makes sense: alcohol is a depressant and nicotine is a form of speed (in the loosest sense of the word.)

Re: looking at people's shoes when lectured--better idea than what I do--I usually glare and make a sarcastic comment of some sort. :rolleyes:

Either way--I made contract to quit by 6/1/05 w/my better half:eek:

17. franklin pierce

franklin pierce New Member

I enjoy lighting up just as I'm about to pass a gaggle of spandex weenies whilst on my fixed-gear, preferrably on a long climb. Otherwise, not so much, as the lady of my nightmares is a non-smoker and it would be impolite.

18. fmanter

fmanter New Member

I often smoke while on a long ride but never when I'm actually riding. Have been doing it for most of my life, am 72 now and started smoking when I was 14. A couple of years ago, when I was thinking about quitting the habit, I asked my doctor what he thought. His answer was, "if it hasn't got you by now, it probably won't and if you quit it might kill you." Trouble now is, I want to swap my tubs for clenchers and I've costed new rims and all. Wouldn't take that many packs to pay for the lot, confused again!

19. Ike90

Ike90 New Member

I'm surprised there are so many of us, at least so many who will admit it.

I'll occasionally light up on back roads or trails, but I tend to try to hide it from passers-by. As someone mentioned, it's better to be a smoking cyclist that a smoking couch potato.

20. Meeba

Meeba New Member

l once saw an old guy smoking a cigar while cruising along, made me have a second look. Isnt it a bit dangerous if ash falls on your lyrca...ouch!