Any suggestions for a simple bike lock

Someone actually stole my friends bicycle while we were in the park. I
can't believe it. It made me think I should buy a lock. There is so
little crime in our town, I never thought of buying a lock. Plus I do
not have an expensive bike. I was told that cable locks are convenient
and easy to use, but they are not as secure as U-locks. I like the
cable lock. It is just a lot easier to lock up the bike with this type
of lock. Anyone have an opinion? Seems to me if someone really wants
your bicycle they certainly would not have that difficult a time
stealing it...locked or unlocked. I am certainly not in a high crime
area....I don't even know if its worth locking up the bike. We have a
problem with car theft because we are near a highway which quickly
brings the cars into Newark. (a definate high crime area) .. But
geez... being in a park in the middle of a suburb, it seemed highly
unlikely that someone would steal it. Goes to show how much I know. It
was probably a kid who wanted to see if he could get away with it. Our
major crimes include houses being toilet papered at Halloween and
people driving through town without their seat belts on. Its a pretty
wussy town. Any suggestions for a lock?
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

[email protected] wrote:
|| Someone actually stole my friends bicycle while we were in the park.
|| I can't believe it. It made me think I should buy a lock. There is so
|| little crime in our town, I never thought of buying a lock. Plus I do
|| not have an expensive bike. I was told that cable locks are
|| convenient and easy to use, but they are not as secure as U-locks. I
|| like the cable lock. It is just a lot easier to lock up the bike
|| with this type of lock. Anyone have an opinion?

When I ride, I don't let my bike out of my site until I'm home. Well, I do
stop at an occaisonal firestation to either peep or refill my water bottles.
So in those cases I am away from the bike for a few moments, but the bike is
in the firestation where people are less likely to steal it (I think,
anyway). If I go into a store someplace, I take my bike in with me. So, I
leave my locks at home. This works for the kind of riding I do (out and back
for up to 7 hours at a time in summer and fall). I imagine if you want to
go buy something at the store or visit with someone, or spend time in the
park, you might want something else. Both a cable and a U-lock might be
worthwhile. I got both of those when I got my bike but have yet to use
them.

a light cable and a cheap combo lock will prevent casual theft, NOTHING
will stop a truely dedicated thief. If you get stuck somewhere you have
to leave a bike for a bit and dont have your lock... just remove the
wheel skewers and take them with you.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Someone actually stole my friends bicycle while we were in the park. I
> can't believe it. It made me think I should buy a lock. There is so
> little crime in our town, I never thought of buying a lock. Plus I do
> not have an expensive bike.

Most people continue with the "it will never happen to me" until it actually
happens, so consider yourself one step ahead. I thought I could get away
with locking my bike on a college campus with a cable lock in the daytime,
and well, "it happened" at 5pm.

> I was told that cable locks are convenient
> and easy to use, but they are not as secure as U-locks. I like the
> cable lock. It is just a lot easier to lock up the bike with this type
> of lock. Anyone have an opinion?

I think you would do well with a lock that clips to your frame in a bracket
for easy carrying. You'll have to make the decision between a U-lock and a
cable lock yourself, but my thoughts on them are:
Cable lock - Easy to cut no matter how big (thick) it is, but also
convenient since you can lock a large variety of objects.
U-lock - More difficult to defeat, esp. the high-end ones, but you have to
find an object the right size to lock it around.

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Someone actually stole my friends bicycle while we were in the park. I
> can't believe it. It made me think I should buy a lock. There is so
> little crime in our town, I never thought of buying a lock. Plus I do
> not have an expensive bike. I was told that cable locks are convenient
> and easy to use, but they are not as secure as U-locks. I like the
> cable lock. It is just a lot easier to lock up the bike with this type
> of lock. Anyone have an opinion? Seems to me if someone really wants
> your bicycle they certainly would not have that difficult a time
> stealing it...locked or unlocked. I am certainly not in a high crime
> area....I don't even know if its worth locking up the bike. We have a
> problem with car theft because we are near a highway which quickly
> brings the cars into Newark. (a definate high crime area) .. But
> geez... being in a park in the middle of a suburb, it seemed highly
> unlikely that someone would steal it. Goes to show how much I know. It
> was probably a kid who wanted to see if he could get away with it. Our
> major crimes include houses being toilet papered at Halloween and
> people driving through town without their seat belts on. Its a pretty
> wussy town. Any suggestions for a lock?
> http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

I live in a very low crime village too, and I use a cable lock with a "drum"
style combination lock built into it. It will prevent someone from riding
off on your ride, It will not stop someone from cutting it with a pair of
bolt cutters, but then again how many casual thiefs walk around with bolt
cutters in their pockets. And nothing will stop a serious professional
thief!

Ken

Ken Marcet wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> Someone actually stole my friends bicycle while we were in the park.
>> I can't believe it. It made me think I should buy a lock. There is so
>> little crime in our town, I never thought of buying a lock. Plus I do
>> not have an expensive bike. I was told that cable locks are
>> convenient and easy to use, but they are not as secure as U-locks. I
>> like the cable lock. It is just a lot easier to lock up the bike
>> with this type of lock. Anyone have an opinion? Seems to me if
>> someone really wants your bicycle they certainly would not have that
>> difficult a time stealing it...locked or unlocked. I am certainly
>> not in a high crime area....I don't even know if its worth locking
>> up the bike. We have a problem with car theft because we are near a
>> highway which quickly brings the cars into Newark. (a definate high
>> crime area) .. But geez... being in a park in the middle of a
>> suburb, it seemed highly unlikely that someone would steal it. Goes
>> to show how much I know. It was probably a kid who wanted to see if
>> he could get away with it. Our major crimes include houses being
>> toilet papered at Halloween and people driving through town without
>> their seat belts on. Its a pretty wussy town. Any suggestions for a
>> lock? http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

> I live in a very low crime village too, and I use a cable lock with a
> "drum" style combination lock built into it. It will prevent someone
> from riding off on your ride, It will not stop someone from cutting
> it with a pair of bolt cutters, but then again how many casual thiefs
> walk around with bolt cutters in their pockets. And nothing will stop
> a serious professional thief!

All true. Bike theft is often a crime of opportunity. Lock your bike, and a
would-be thief will pass it by.

When I was a kid, any bike left unlocked begged to be stolen. Often they were
vandalized then ditched nearby. Obviously kids did this just for "fun."

Matt O

Roger Zoul wrote:
> When I ride, I don't let my bike out of my site until I'm home. Well, I do
> stop at an occaisonal firestation to either peep or refill my water bottles.
> So in those cases I am away from the bike for a few moments, but the bike is
> in the firestation where people are less likely to steal it (I think,
> anyway). If I go into a store someplace, I take my bike in with me. So, I
> leave my locks at home. This works for the kind of riding I do (out and back
> for up to 7 hours at a time in summer and fall). I imagine if you want to
> go buy something at the store or visit with someone, or spend time in the
> park, you might want something else. Both a cable and a U-lock might be
> worthwhile. I got both of those when I got my bike but have yet to use
> them.

I carry a Master Lock Pit Stop cable lock
(http://www.mtbr.com/tradeshow/interbike2003/masterlock/productpage2.shtml)
in my seat bag for the purpose of those quick trips into a convenience
store. It is a joke how lightweight it is, but for quick stops in a safe
area it seems to me worthwhile to deter the most opportunistic kind of
theft.

Pam

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:25:01 -0500, pam_in_sc <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Roger Zoul wrote:
>> When I ride, I don't let my bike out of my site until I'm home. Well,
>> I do
>> stop at an occaisonal firestation to either peep or refill my water
>> bottles.
>> So in those cases I am away from the bike for a few moments, but the
>> bike is
>> in the firestation where people are less likely to steal it (I think,
>> anyway). If I go into a store someplace, I take my bike in with me.
>> So, I
>> leave my locks at home. This works for the kind of riding I do (out and
>> back
>> for up to 7 hours at a time in summer and fall). I imagine if you want
>> go buy something at the store or visit with someone, or spend time in
>> the
>> park, you might want something else. Both a cable and a U-lock might be
>> worthwhile. I got both of those when I got my bike but have yet to use
>> them.

> I carry a Master Lock Pit Stop cable lock
> (http://www.mtbr.com/tradeshow/interbike2003/masterlock/productpage2.shtml)
> in my seat bag for the purpose of those quick trips into a convenience
> store. It is a joke how lightweight it is, but for quick stops in a safe
> area it seems to me worthwhile to deter the most opportunistic kind of
> theft.
>
> Pam

I have to go with taking the bike into the store. Some people will steal
the seat and post if the rest of the bike is locked up. Those quick
releases
are just too hard for some bums to pass up. If the store won't let me
bring in the bike I just ask where the next store is, and I usually
get served. I have quick releases on both tires and the seat, so locking
it all down means two or more locks or a really long cable.

--
Bill (?) Baka

"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> bolt cutters, but then again how many casual thiefs walk around with bolt
> cutters in their pockets. And nothing will stop a serious professional
> thief!

I was at the tool rental place one day & say a few kids renting a big
compound bolt cutter. I very much doubt they had bolts to cut. Thieves
carry these under jackets, bend over a bike for a few seconds, then ride
away.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > bolt cutters, but then again how many casual thiefs walk around with

bolt
> > cutters in their pockets. And nothing will stop a serious professional
> > thief!

> I was at the tool rental place one day & say a few kids renting a big
> compound bolt cutter. I very much doubt they had bolts to cut. Thieves
> carry these under jackets, bend over a bike for a few seconds, then ride
> away.

Oh I have no doubt that there are some people who will use bolt cutters to
cut cables / chains / locks but these are not casual crooks they are closer
to professional crooks! The simple cable locks will prevent your bike from
being a easy target of opportunity!

Ken Marcet wrote:
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>bolt cutters, but then again how many casual thiefs walk around with bolt
>>>cutters in their pockets. And nothing will stop a serious professional
>>>thief!

>>I was at the tool rental place one day & say a few kids renting a big
>>compound bolt cutter. I very much doubt they had bolts to cut. Thieves
>>carry these under jackets, bend over a bike for a few seconds, then ride
>>away.
>>

> Oh I have no doubt that there are some people who will use bolt cutters to
> cut cables / chains / locks but these are not casual crooks they are closer
> to professional crooks! The simple cable locks will prevent your bike from
> being a easy target of opportunity!

Is there such a thing as a "lightweight" hardened chain, about 2-3'
long? I'm thinking more along the lines of the kind of chain holding up
my porch swing, only hardened -- not a logging chain. Just how much
iron do you have to lug around to defeat a 24" bolt cutter, anyway?

Pat

Zoot Katz wrote:
> 14 Dec 2004 08:45:25 -0800,
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Any suggestions for a lock?

> The one that's easiest for you to use and carry.
> That way you'll be more inclined to carry and use it, always.
> --
> zk

A well meaning friend gave me an OnGuard BEAST w/Padlock. Between that
and my BICYCLE COMPUTER SPEEDOMETER ODOMETER BIKE CATEYE (BEST &
STRONGEST MADE!) SUPER THICK WIRE! CATEYE ENDURO 8 which I purchased on
e-bay......my cheap bike is well equipped. Now if the weather would
cooperate maybe I could ride more with this fancy **** on my bike. I
have well meaning friends trying to give me things for my bike that I
really do not think I need in suburbia. Especially an ONGUARD BEAST!!!!
Maggie.
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> writes:

> Oh I have no doubt that there are some people who will use bolt cutters to
> cut cables / chains / locks but these are not casual crooks they are closer
> to professional crooks! The simple cable locks will prevent your bike from
> being a easy target of opportunity!

We've got plenty of bike thieves here in Vancouver BC.
And what's particularly irritating about that is that
there are so many almost-ready-to-ride bikes around
that people just throw away. They leave them out in the
back lanes along with defunct household appliances etc,
free for the taking. I'm sure fixing up many of these
discards would take less work than theft.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

pam_in_sc said:
I carry a Master Lock Pit Stop cable lock
(http://www.mtbr.com/tradeshow/interbike2003/masterlock/productpage2.shtml)
in my seat bag for the purpose of those quick trips into a convenience
store. It is a joke how lightweight it is, but for quick stops in a safe
area it seems to me worthwhile to deter the most opportunistic kind of
theft.

Pam

That's a pretty neat looking device but how stong can the cable be? Is the cable coated with something to protect the paint on the bike?

: A well meaning friend gave me an OnGuard BEAST w/Padlock. Between that
: and my BICYCLE COMPUTER SPEEDOMETER ODOMETER BIKE CATEYE (BEST &
: STRONGEST MADE!) SUPER THICK WIRE! CATEYE ENDURO 8 which I purchased on
: e-bay......my cheap bike is well equipped. Now if the weather would
: cooperate maybe I could ride more with this fancy **** on my bike. I
: have well meaning friends trying to give me things for my bike that I
: really do not think I need in suburbia. Especially an ONGUARD BEAST!!!!
: Maggie.

and yet, you're complaining about people giving you things? And you think
you don't need the lock even after your friend's bike was just stolen? I
just can't get your logic.

Pat in TX

Pat wrote:
> : A well meaning friend gave me an OnGuard BEAST w/Padlock. Between

that
> : and my BICYCLE COMPUTER SPEEDOMETER ODOMETER BIKE CATEYE (BEST &
> : STRONGEST MADE!) SUPER THICK WIRE! CATEYE ENDURO 8 which I

purchased on
> : e-bay......my cheap bike is well equipped. Now if the weather would
> : cooperate maybe I could ride more with this fancy **** on my bike.

> : have well meaning friends trying to give me things for my bike that

> : really do not think I need in suburbia. Especially an ONGUARD

BEAST!!!!
> : Maggie.
>
> and yet, you're complaining about people giving you things? And you

think
> you don't need the lock even after your friend's bike was just

stolen? I
> just can't get your logic.
>
> Pat in TX

Dear Pat in TX.
Boy, I really **** you off don't I? And I have never even been in
Texas. Go figure. Have a great day. There is no logic in what I
wrote. Its just ramblings. Peace.
Maggie

15 Dec 2004 06:45:47 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:
\snip

>......my cheap bike is well equipped. Now if the weather would
>cooperate maybe I could ride more with this fancy **** on my bike. I
>have well meaning friends trying to give me things for my bike that I
>really do not think I need in suburbia. Especially an ONGUARD BEAST!!!!
>Maggie.

You were bemoaning the complexities of modern bicycling, now you're
wanting to add them to your bike. You don't need a computer to ride a
bike. For myself it serves instead of a watch. Keep it simple.

The lock you were given may seem heavier than necessary.
That's good. It keeps the idiots from even trying. If it's got flat
keys it's great for security but not if you won't use it.
A lighter lock that you _do_ use would be more secure.

Whatever you use, make it a habit. I've never had a locked bike
stolen. Three left unlocked were. Go figure.
--
zk

Zoot Katz Dec 15, 12:07 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
From: Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:07:03 -0800
Subject: Re: Any suggestions for a simple bike lock
original | Report Abuse

15 Dec 2004 06:45:47 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:
\snip

>...... I have well meaning friends trying to give me things for my

bike that I really do not think I need in suburbia. Especially an
ONGUARD BEAST!!!!

The lock you were given may seem heavier than necessary.
That's good. It keeps the idiots from even trying. If it's got flat
keys it's great for security but not if you won't use it.
A lighter lock that you _do_ use would be more secure.

That's the problem, the lock weighs a ton. My friend lives in NYC and
probably needs a lock like this. The lock was free, but its so heavy.
It is an expensive lock too. It's probably worth more than my bike.
;-)
Maggie.

: > : A well meaning friend gave me an OnGuard BEAST w/Padlock. Between
: that
: > : and my BICYCLE COMPUTER SPEEDOMETER ODOMETER BIKE CATEYE (BEST &
: > : STRONGEST MADE!) SUPER THICK WIRE! CATEYE ENDURO 8 which I
: purchased on
: > : e-bay......my cheap bike is well equipped. Now if the weather would
: > : cooperate maybe I could ride more with this fancy **** on my bike.
: I
: > : have well meaning friends trying to give me things for my bike that
: I
: > : really do not think I need in suburbia. Especially an ONGUARD
: BEAST!!!!
: > : Maggie.
: >
:
: Dear Pat in TX.
: Boy, I really **** you off don't I? And I have never even been in
: Texas. Go figure. Have a great day. There is no logic in what I
: wrote. Its just ramblings. Peace.
: Maggie

I'm not ****** off. I am trying to find logic---any logic in what you write.
So far, I have been unsuccessful. Maybe this group is just a diary for
you....

Pat in TX
: