Any suggestions for different breakfasts?

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Left over pizza, cold.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
> ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

One of my all-time favorite breakfasts, my dear Sheldon! (But, you have to have a cold beer with it
too.) kilikini

"RMiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > for different breakfasts? From: "K. Reece" [email protected] Date: 2/15/2004 10:49 AM Central
> > Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
> >

> ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> >> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle.
> >> I would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> >> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen
> >> Please reply to Group as my email is fake.
> >
> >You could try some crockpot breakfast casseroles. I don't have a recipe
for
> >one but I've seen several of them on various recipe sites.
> >
> >Kathy
>
> When my kids were around, every once in awhile I would make them Fried
Chicken
> and Biscuits for breakfast. It was a treat and they loved it. Rosie

Crockpot breakfast casseroles? Fried chicken and biscuits? What a bunch of

-L. wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Frogleg wrote:

>>> Oatmeal cookies. No, really. Homemade, with raisins or possibly other dried fruits. Nice glass
>>> of milk & a few cookies (or one BIG one) isn't bad.
>>>
>>> Muffins -- zillions of recipes for ones with all sorts of fruit and other healthios included.
>>
>> Indeed - bran muffins are good. Here's a recipe I got from the back of the Hodgson's Mill bran
>> box that you can make ahead and then just bake the muffins when you're ready:
>>
>> 3 c. Hodgson's Mill Wheat Bran 1 c. brown sugar 2-1/2 c. white flour 2-1/2 tsp. baking soda 1
>> tsp. salt
>> 1/2 c. butter or margarine 1 pint buttermilk 2 eggs, beaten 1 c. boiling water
>>
>> Combine 1 cup wheat bran and 1 cup boiling water. Let steep. In a separate bowl cream butter with
>> brown sugar. Combine flour, salt, baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the steeped bran
>> with remaining 2 cups of bran, eggs, buttermilk, butter and sugar. Mix together well. Cover and
>> let stand at least 12 hours before baking.
>>
>> Store in a tightly covered bowl, refrigerated, up to 6 weeks. Simply stir and scoop out to fill
>> lightly greased muffin tins (2/3 full) and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
>>
>> Jill
>
> What - no spices? Ewwww...
>
> -L.

Sugar isn't enough for you? Okay add some spices like those used for pumpkin pie if you must. I'm
not much into sweet stuff, otherwise I would suggest doughnuts or Captain Crunch cereal :)

Jill

>>Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast?

When I was a kid, you got a few hunks of buttered rye bread to dunk in your coffee...... ( no joke )

Mom just didn't have time to do the "breakfast song and dance"

<rj>

<rj

On 16-Feb-2004, [email protected] (Nancree) wrote:

> Toast a piece of bread, preferably a good, hearty one ( I use Orowheat's Extra Sour Rye--so good).
> With the back of a spoon, mash down the bread inside the crust, making a depression. Crack a raw
> egg into the toast. Microwave for about 30 seconds (adjust to your taste and your microwave). Be
> sure to cover it with something (wax paper, or plastic dish, or ?? ) Eggs sometimes explode. This
> is easy to make and to eat, even if you're rushing out the door.

In our family, we do something similar, called target toast. Butter both sides of a slice of bread,
with a bicuit cutter or the rim of a glass, cut a circle from the center of the bread and put in a
low-medium heated skillet - put the removed center in alongside. Crack an egg into the center of the
bread, cook a bit then flip, slice with egg and the round that was removed. It might take a bit of
practice to get the bread and egg done to your liking; you can always zap in microwave to finish
cooking egg if you like it cooked hard and the "toast" light.

Larry

x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other
groups x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

<[email protected]> wrote> Hi all
> Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the
> moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please
> reply to Group as my email is fake.

Figure out some breakfast burritos---various ingredients. You can have them cooked up ahead of time,
slam them in a tortilla, and nuke it.

a bit of egg a bit of bacon or sausage a bit of stir-fried veg or fruit cooked, spiced fruits and
nuts yogurt whatever and whatever

You could, if you give it some thought, come up with many combinations that you can freeze in small
batches---spiced or not, hot or not, whatever or not.

And, tortillas aren't your only option. Think pitas, crepes, eggroll or springroll skins, crunchy
corn taco shells.

If you just get your thoughts away from the blatant breakfast load, well...

Potato skins with fruit and yogurt or cheese.

Man, I'm an old lady, half in the bag, and haven't cooked for children for years---

Just let your imagination go---

Fruit and yogurt pizzas

Cheese and fruit pizzas

Sausage and cheese rolled up in those Pillsbury crescent rolls

Deli ham and pineapple

Let your mind imagine truly fine dishes made with stuff you can put together to see the kids off
to school.

Whoa, I'm not sending this to my daughter. She'll accuse me of abuse (ok, she's 35, it's too late)
because she never got any of this stuff.

Pam

If you had an addy seemingly real, I'd of copied this, but then ... :)

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.

How about quiche? There are numerous types of quiche. You can even make quiche a head of time and
warm it up when you're ready to use it.

> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please
> reply to Group as my email is fake.

Pop a frozen Gardenburger in one side of the toaster, a piece of light right in the other, put them
together with a thin slice of Swiss in the middle, and you're out the door with a nutritious, easy,
fast food...

Karen

On 2/18/2004 7:55 PM, [email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
>>the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
>>would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
>>morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.
>

> How about quiche? There are numerous types of quiche. You can even make quiche a head of time and
> warm it up when you're ready to use it.

Oh! This remindes me of the quiche in a muffin cup thing. They are actually pretty cute. I got the
recipe from Vegetarian Times (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/recipe.asp?recipe=8947). I
think that you could mix everything except the egg the night before, add the egg and bake them for
20 minutes in the morning.

--
jmk in NC

>>> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
>>> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle.
>>> I would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
>>> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.

Think major food groups. How about a portion of fresh fruit or vegetables? Fruit is great on
pancakes, just don't load it down with sugar. Are there veggies they like that you can scramble into
eggs? You've got the bread/grains covered pretty well. How about some protein? Bacon, sausage, ham,
peanut butter, cheese, eggs?

Dawn

"> On 2/18/2004 7:55 PM, [email protected] wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> >>the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle.
> >>I would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> >>morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.

Stan, at the risk of sounding snotty, how about if you stop thinking "breakfast" and just serve the
kids whatever they like and whatever you have time to cook! IHOP is probably the only place where
breakfast has to be breakfast!

Felice

"<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> When I was a kid, you got a few hunks of buttered rye bread to dunk in your coffee...... (
> no joke )
>
> Mom just didn't have time to do the "breakfast song and dance"

We need more Moms like your Mom nowadays!

Karen

On 2/19/2004 1:24 PM, Felice Friese wrote:

> Stan, at the risk of sounding snotty, how about if you stop thinking "breakfast" and just serve
> the kids whatever they like and whatever you have time to cook! IHOP is probably the only place
> where breakfast has to be breakfast!
>
> Felice

Good point. I know someone who prefers ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast.

--
jmk in NC

Felice Friese wrote:

> Stan, at the risk of sounding snotty, how about if you stop thinking "breakfast" and just serve
> the kids whatever they like and whatever you have time to cook! IHOP is probably the only place
> where breakfast has to be breakfast!
>
> Felice

Stan is not the OP, he didn't say anything here that I know of.

nancy

> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please
> reply to Group as my email is fake.

Breakfast pizza - scrambled egg, crumbled bacon, green pepper bits, cheese, etc., on an English
muffin half or toast, - use real pizza dough and make them up ahead of time - good to go from the
toaster oven in less than 10 minutes.

Breakfast tacos or burritos - use flour or corn tortillas and fill with your choice of eggs and meat
(sausage, cheese & egg is good).

Waffles with different toppings.

N.

Toast w/ peanut butter, fruit on the side. Toasted English muffim w/ peanut butter, topped w/ a
sprinkling of Cocoa Krispies cereal. Graham crackers served in a bowl, topped w/ hot milk (one of my
son's favorites...eat quickly before it gets mushy!)

Buttered toast topped w/ bacon or Canadian bacon Buttered toast dipped in hot cocoa.

Cold leftover pizza (breakfast of champions!)

Homemade egg McMuffin...pretty quick to make.

Walking salad...scoop core out of an apple, fill w/ chunky peanut butter...mix in some raisins.

Cottage cheese pancakes topped with jam.

Tortilla spread w/ peanut butter and decorated w/ fruit (like a pizza) or topped w/ fruit and rolled
up like a burrito

Uncooked oatmeal mixed w/ fresh berries, brown sugar, chopped almonds, and topped w/ milk

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Felice Friese wrote:

> > Stan, at the risk of sounding snotty, how about if you stop thinking "breakfast" and just serve
> > the kids whatever they like and whatever you
have
> > time to cook! IHOP is probably the only place where breakfast has to be breakfast!
> >
> > Felice
>
> Stan is not the OP, he didn't say anything here that I know of.
>
> nancy

Oops, sorry, Stan. And thanks, Nancy. I owe you each one hearty morning meal of your choice.

Felice

Here's one you (and the kiddies) might enjoy for breakfast, or even a snack anytime. It's different
and it's EASY.

CANNOLI BREAKFAST 1 pint of skim or fat-free ricotta cheese 2-4 tbs. powdered sugar (or to taste) 1
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (or to taste)
1/4 tsp. vanilla
2/2 cup natural tropical dried fruit mix (or citron, or any mixture of dried fruit chopped up ... my
fave is pineapple, raisins & papaya & dried cherries) 1-2 tbs. mini chocolate chips for a treat,
if desired Slices of cinnamon raisin bread, toasted

Blend the ricotta, sugar, cinnamon & vanilla until well-blended. Stir in the fruit and the chips (if
desired). Spread on slices and toasted cinnamon raisin bread & enjoy!

NOTE: If the dried fruit pieces seem too large, just chop them up a bit more to make it easier
to spread.

The mixture should stay fresh for at least the shelf life of the cheese in the fridge ready to use.