Any suggestions for different breakfasts?

abuse

Guest
Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the
moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I would
like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every morning
before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please reply to
Group as my email is fake.

il Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] ha scritto:

> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please
> reply to Group as my email is fake.

Fried egg on toast that's been thinly smeared with vegemite.

Grilled cheese on toast

oh, more healthy. hmmm add a lettuce to the above :)
--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] wrote:

>Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the moment
>we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I would like
>to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every morning before
>school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.

Oatmeal cookies. No, really. Homemade, with raisins or possibly other dried fruits. Nice glass of
milk & a few cookies (or one BIG one) isn't bad.

Muffins -- zillions of recipes for ones with all sorts of fruit and other healthios included.

Tomato & cheese on toast, broiled? Or a tomato-cheese grilled sandwich?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please
> reply to Group as my email is fake.

You could try some crockpot breakfast casseroles. I don't have a recipe for one but I've seen
several of them on various recipe sites.

Kathy

How about yogurt, fruit and grapenuts.... my kids loved that....good luck

Ellie

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please
> reply to Group as my email is fake.

How about Quiche (if you're doing the egg thing)? It's actually very easy to make and you can do it
the night ahead. Or there are egg bakes, egg cassaroles, etc. My sister makes a casserole (I'd have
to get the recipe) that's egg, bacon, cheese and potatoes all baked in a dish. It's pretty good and
again, it can be done ahead of time.

kilikini

[email protected] wrote:

> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.

Do you need alternates? My brothers and I grew up with porridge for breakfast, and most days it was
oatmeal, Our variety was Cream of Wheat, Vita B or Red River once in a while.

But if you must have variety, how about fruit and yogurt crepes. Make up a bunch of crepes ahead of
time (can be frozen and taken out a few minutes ahead of time when needed). Cut up some fruits for a
fresh fruit salad, or you can use canned fruits. Put a nice dollop of plain yogurt on each crepe and
then add some fruit salad. Roll them up and drizzle some honey over them. They are delicious and
fairly healthy.

>Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast?

Smoothies! Kids love 'em and they're quick and easy to make, as well as healthful and delicious.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] wrote:

:)Hi all )Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school )going kids and at
:the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, )crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. )I
:would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main )criterion is that they eat every
:morning before school, so kid )friendly stuff is essential. )thanks in advance )Neil McMullen
:)Please reply to Group as my email is fake.

I disliked cereal as a youngster, and didn't want anything sweet for breakfast. Every morning for
several years I had ham and swiss on pumpernickel or rye bread, and a mug of tomato soup. It still
sounds tasty 50 years later...

Ev

> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please
> reply to Group as my email is fake.

My fave breakfast is cottage cheese topped with bananas (try it - you will be in heaven) served with
cinnamon raisin toast topped with butter and cinnamon sugar. Yum, Yum, Yum!!

If they don't like CC - do a lemon yogurt with bananas, or lemon yogurt with bananas, pineapple and
coconut, topped with granola.

-L.

Frogleg wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the
>> moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
>> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
>> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.
>
> Oatmeal cookies. No, really. Homemade, with raisins or possibly other dried fruits. Nice glass of
> milk & a few cookies (or one BIG one) isn't bad.
>
> Muffins -- zillions of recipes for ones with all sorts of fruit and other healthios included.

Indeed - bran muffins are good. Here's a recipe I got from the back of the Hodgson's Mill bran box
that you can make ahead and then just bake the muffins when you're ready:

3 c. Hodgson's Mill Wheat Bran 1 c. brown sugar 2-1/2 c. white flour 2-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter or margarine 1 pint buttermilk 2 eggs, beaten 1 c. boiling water

Combine 1 cup wheat bran and 1 cup boiling water. Let steep. In a separate bowl cream butter with
brown sugar. Combine flour, salt, baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the steeped bran with
remaining 2 cups of bran, eggs, buttermilk, butter and sugar. Mix together well. Cover and let stand
at least 12 hours before baking.

Store in a tightly covered bowl, refrigerated, up to 6 weeks. Simply stir and scoop out to fill
lightly greased muffin tins (2/3 full) and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

Jill
> Tomato & cheese on toast, broiled? Or a tomato-cheese grilled sandwich?

How about some peanut butter and crackers or toast? Serve with some cut up fruit. NancyJaye

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the
> >moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> >would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> >morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.
>
> Oatmeal cookies. No, really. Homemade, with raisins or possibly other dried fruits. Nice glass of
> milk & a few cookies (or one BIG one) isn't bad.
>
> Muffins -- zillions of recipes for ones with all sorts of fruit and other healthios included.
>
> Tomato & cheese on toast, broiled? Or a tomato-cheese grilled sandwich?

"Frogleg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the
> >moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> >would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> >morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.
>
> Oatmeal cookies. No, really. Homemade, with raisins or possibly other dried fruits. Nice glass of
> milk & a few cookies (or one BIG one) isn't bad.
>
> Muffins -- zillions of recipes for ones with all sorts of fruit and other healthios included.
>
> Tomato & cheese on toast, broiled? Or a tomato-cheese grilled sandwich?

I'll take the tomato-cheese grilled sandwich with a shrimp spread or ham or even tuna. I never eat
*traditional* breakfast foods. My ideal breakfast would be sauteed scallops with asparagus. Yummy!

kilikini

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:33:10 -0500, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast?

>Do you need alternates? My brothers and I grew up with porridge for breakfast, and most days it was
>oatmeal, Our variety was Cream of Wheat, Vita B or Red River once in a while.
>
>But if you must have variety, how about fruit and yogurt crepes. Make up a bunch of crepes ahead of
>time (can be frozen and taken out a few minutes ahead of time when needed). Cut up some fruits for
>a fresh fruit salad, or you can use canned fruits. Put a nice dollop of plain yogurt on each crepe
>and then add some fruit salad. Roll them up and drizzle some honey over them. They are delicious
>and fairly healthy.

Use crepes for a kid breakfast?! I regard them as culinary gold to be hoarded in the freezer until
such time as I need to provide a dainty lunch, decent first course, or creative leftover dish. The
OP mentioned pancakes. These could easily be doped up with fruit and yogurt.

Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the
> >moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> >would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> >morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.
>
> Oatmeal cookies. No, really. Homemade, with raisins or possibly other dried fruits. Nice glass of
> milk & a few cookies (or one BIG one) isn't bad.

My brother eats oatmeal cookies every day for B'fast!

-L.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:59:07 GMT, Ev Dugan <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I disliked cereal as a youngster, and didn't want anything sweet for breakfast. Every morning for
>several years I had ham and swiss on pumpernickel or rye bread, and a mug of tomato soup. It still
>sounds tasty 50 years later...

'Breakfast' food varies considerably. I believe in many Asian countries, soup is common. Or a bowl
of noodles. I suppose the general idea is something that doesn't take a lot of prep time, and can
sustain one until lunch. I could go for a hot bowl of soup right now. New snow on the ground and a
wind-chill in the teens.

Frogleg wrote:

> >But if you must have variety, how about fruit and yogurt crepes. Make up a bunch of crepes ahead
> >of time (can be frozen and taken out a few minutes ahead of time when needed). Cut up some fruits
> >for a fresh fruit salad, or you can use canned fruits. Put a nice dollop of plain yogurt on each
> >crepe and then add some fruit salad. Roll them up and drizzle some honey over them. They are
> >delicious and fairly healthy.
>
> Use crepes for a kid breakfast?! I regard them as culinary gold to be hoarded in the freezer until
> such time as I need to provide a dainty lunch, decent first course, or creative leftover dish. The
> OP mentioned pancakes. These could easily be doped up with fruit and yogurt.

Why not. The biggest part of making crepes is getting out the utensils and getting the ingredients
together. Most crepe recipes make more than enough for any single use for small groups and you end
up with leftovers anyway. It's no more work to cook up a few dozen crepes to be used for a series of
breakfasts than it is to do all those individual meals. Best of all, you get into the habit of
making lots of crepes so there will always be a supply of them around for all those dainty lunches.
You can always pull a few out of the freezer and do up some nice desserts. Crepes Suzettes are easy
to whip up once you have the crepes made. Just melt some butter and sugar, add a little orange juice
and grated rind, add a little brandy or whatever for extra pizzazz with a flambee. Restaurants
charge a lot of money for Crepes Suzette and once you see how simple they are to do you realize what
a terrific profit margin they provide.

> Frogleg wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the
> >> moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> >> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> >> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.
> >
> > Oatmeal cookies. No, really. Homemade, with raisins or possibly other dried fruits. Nice glass
> > of milk & a few cookies (or one BIG one) isn't bad.
> >
> > Muffins -- zillions of recipes for ones with all sorts of fruit and other healthios included.
>
> Indeed - bran muffins are good. Here's a recipe I got from the back of
the
> Hodgson's Mill bran box that you can make ahead and then just bake the muffins when you're ready:
>
> 3 c. Hodgson's Mill Wheat Bran 1 c. brown sugar 2-1/2 c. white flour 2-1/2 tsp. baking soda 1
> tsp. salt
> 1/2 c. butter or margarine 1 pint buttermilk 2 eggs, beaten 1 c. boiling water
>
> Combine 1 cup wheat bran and 1 cup boiling water. Let steep. In a
separate
> bowl cream butter with brown sugar. Combine flour, salt, baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Stir
> in the steeped bran with remaining 2 cups of
bran,
> eggs, buttermilk, butter and sugar. Mix together well. Cover and let
stand
> at least 12 hours before baking.
>
> Store in a tightly covered bowl, refrigerated, up to 6 weeks. Simply stir and scoop out to fill
> lightly greased muffin tins (2/3 full) and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

Oh yes, the kids are going to *love* eating bran muffins before school.

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Frogleg wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:01:31 +0200, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >> Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at the
> >> moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
> >> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
> >> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential.
> >
> > Oatmeal cookies. No, really. Homemade, with raisins or possibly other dried fruits. Nice glass
> > of milk & a few cookies (or one BIG one) isn't bad.
> >
> > Muffins -- zillions of recipes for ones with all sorts of fruit and other healthios included.
>
> Indeed - bran muffins are good. Here's a recipe I got from the back of the Hodgson's Mill bran box
> that you can make ahead and then just bake the muffins when you're ready:
>
> 3 c. Hodgson's Mill Wheat Bran 1 c. brown sugar 2-1/2 c. white flour 2-1/2 tsp. baking soda 1
> tsp. salt
> 1/2 c. butter or margarine 1 pint buttermilk 2 eggs, beaten 1 c. boiling water
>
> Combine 1 cup wheat bran and 1 cup boiling water. Let steep. In a separate bowl cream butter with
> brown sugar. Combine flour, salt, baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the steeped bran
> with remaining 2 cups of bran, eggs, buttermilk, butter and sugar. Mix together well. Cover and
> let stand at least 12 hours before baking.
>
> Store in a tightly covered bowl, refrigerated, up to 6 weeks. Simply stir and scoop out to fill
> lightly greased muffin tins (2/3 full) and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.
>
> Jill

What - no spices? Ewwww...

-L.

> for different breakfasts?
>From: "K. Reece" [email protected]
>Date: 2/15/2004 10:49 AM Central Standard Time
>

><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Hi all Can anyone give me some alternate ideas for breakfast? I have 2 school going kids and at
>> the moment we do french toast, cereal, pancakes, crumpets, oatmeal porridge in a kind of cycle. I
>> would like to introduce something more healthy, but the main criterion is that they eat every
>> morning before school, so kid friendly stuff is essential. thanks in advance Neil McMullen Please
>> reply to Group as my email is fake.
>
>You could try some crockpot breakfast casseroles. I don't have a recipe for one but I've seen
>several of them on various recipe sites.
>
>Kathy

When my kids were around, every once in awhile I would make them Fried Chicken and Biscuits for
breakfast. It was a treat and they loved it. Rosie