Any suggestions on a decent warm up for cycling

usually high cadence pedalling on an easy gear is good for warming up. or you can use a trainer

linck said:
just need some info on a good warm up routine for cycling. Thanks
If you road riding, take at least 20 minutes of easy pedalling to get the juices flowing. Increase the intensity and duration if you're warming up for a race.

If you're indoors, you'll need to work slightly harder to achieve the same level of warmupness :)o).

linck said:
just need some info on a good warm up routine for cycling. Thanks
Warming up for WHAT?

Just to... warm up for your ride? Or are you warming up for a 60-minute Pro/1/2 crit? How old are you? Is it a morning race and you're a night person? How hard will you be going?

Sorry, but without answers to those questions it's impossible to answer. I'm 41 years old and regularly compete in Masters and Pro/1/2 criteriums; usually between 40 and 90 minutes. The effort in the race is rather intense and starts almost immediately after the whistle. Because of this, my warmup can take up to an hour for me to reach correct operating temperature.

If I do a long road race (which I try to avoid, but end up doing anyway) 20 minutes of easy spinning with 1-2 Zone-4 efforts at the end is enough.

Shirt39 said:
Warming up for WHAT?

Just to... warm up for your ride? Or are you warming up for a 60-minute Pro/1/2 crit? How old are you? Is it a morning race and you're a night person? How hard will you be going?

Sorry, but without answers to those questions it's impossible to answer. I'm 41 years old and regularly compete in Masters and Pro/1/2 criteriums; usually between 40 and 90 minutes. The effort in the race is rather intense and starts almost immediately after the whistle. Because of this, my warmup can take up to an hour for me to reach correct operating temperature.

If I do a long road race (which I try to avoid, but end up doing anyway) 20 minutes of easy spinning with 1-2 Zone-4 efforts at the end is enough.
Don't forget the stretching part, helps you warm your muscles for any sport. Then go slowly first and increase the intensity. Sounds all so natural doesn't it?

camino10 said:
Don't forget the stretching part, helps you warm your muscles for any sport. Then go slowly first and increase the intensity. Sounds all so natural doesn't it?
when i go on my 34 mile bike ride, i take a dash around town (about 7 mile total, 30 mins) as quick as i can.

When i get home, i have 1/2 - 1 hour break, then go out on my big one.

I usually find that after having a rest, my energy is restored and the blood is pumping nicely for the big one.

May not be the best method through it works for me