Any supplement reccommendations for l'etape?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by mallyg, Apr 12, 2004.

1. mallyg

mallyg New Member

I don't want creatine or anything 'banned'. I read about Optygen, but don't know anyone who has tried it. Basically, I'm just interested in something that might add that final percentage to my training. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Tags:

2. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

your best bet are plenty of carbohydrate energy drinks, some gels, and energy bars, and some 'real' food.

eat plenty of carbs (e.g., pasta, rice, potatoes, etc) in the days prior to the etape, and when training. have a good breakfast prior to the etape, aiming for a 1g carb per kg body mass per hour prior to the start.

eat and drink regularly throughout the ride. carry the carb-electrolyte powders ready weighed out in e.g., sandwich bags, so that they can be mixed at water stops.

most importantly, train well, to cope with the demands of the event.

if you need more advice don't hesitate to contact me,
    ric

3. mallyg

mallyg New Member

Thanks Ric. I will definitely contact you again. I'm currently riding 70 miles on a sunday, plus various training sessions during the week. Also trying to sort out an upper arm pain that is a bit of an issue when I ride.
    ps Just checked out your website which looks very interesting.

4. Cowboyathlete

Cowboyathlete New Member

Since I do not race, I have no clue on what is banned and what is not. However, I strongly recommend against using creatine for cycling. I swear by it for the days I lift weights, but I stay away from it on the days I mountain bike. Not only is it little benefit for cycling, but it can lead to muscle cramps if you are not careful - which is NOT a fun thing to have when you are several miles out there. :)

5. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

creatine isn't banned, but it has no benefit to endurance cycling performance. the data is quite equivocal on creatine and sprint exercise

ric

6. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

you might want to do a practice ride one day, where you ride for the *duration* (not the distance) that you think it'll take you to cover the etape. also, i know there's no hills in london, but you might want to consider a trip to somewhere hilly, so that you know what it's like to climb plenty of hills (assuming that you don't normally get to do any hills). there's the lakes, the peak district, and wales, with some good long climbs in the UK

ric

7. Chaim

Chaim New Member

I am eating like your recommendation, when I am cycling. I also joined Weight Watchers (USA) since I want to loose 40 pounds.

Do you recommend Vitamins as a method to maintain streangth (I am currentlly a strong biker but I think I will get weaker as my diet progress).

8. jcongdon

jcongdon New Member

Anyone got any ideas for accommadation for the Etape... Limoges is very booked.