Any TdF bets on Cippo NOT finishing?

Guest
Has Cipollini EVER finished the Tour?
Any bets that he won't finish in 2004?
Is he in this year's Tour for ratings?

[email protected] wrote:
> Has Cipollini EVER finished the Tour?

No. He has finished the Giro several times but not the Tour de France.

> Any bets that he won't finish in 2004?
> Is he in this year's Tour for ratings?

I would not want to bet my money on Cipollini finishing this year, but I
am hoping against hope that he will not leave empty-handed...

-Sonarrat.

<[email protected]> wrote ...
> Has Cipollini EVER finished the Tour?
> Any bets that he won't finish in 2004?
> Is he in this year's Tour for ratings?

I was riding through West Chester last year and a 60-ish Italian landscaper
in business for himself pulled alongside me coming up to a light. "'ey, how
'bouta Cipollini?" he said. I laughed because given what people say out
their car windows it was nice to have an enthusiast on my hands. Super
Mario was fading in the Giro at the time, so I had to be honest. Cipo's
been there, not done it, never got the T-shirt. His best is behind him.
Heck, he never even made (was invited to) the Tour last year.

JF

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Has Cipollini EVER finished the Tour?

> No. He has finished the Giro several times but not the Tour de France.
>
> > Any bets that he won't finish in 2004?
> > Is he in this year's Tour for ratings?

> I would not want to bet my money on Cipollini finishing this year, but I
> am hoping against hope that he will not leave empty-handed...
>
> -Sonarrat.

It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour. Who
want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a race?

Marty

Marty Wallace wrote:
> It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour. Who
> want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a race?
> Marty

The thing is that Mario will be remembered as one of the alltime great
cyclists and the best sprinter of his age. Not many will care about him
not finishing the TdF.

--

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:42:55 +0800, "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour. Who
>want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a race?

I wish I could go down in history with his record in the TdF. I'll
bet a lot of pros wish they could.

JT

wrote:

>It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour. Who
>want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a race?

I just remember another loser by your standards -- Roger de Vlaeminck.

JT

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...

> It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour. Who
> want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a race?
>
> Marty

Another way of looking at it :

He wins a lot of races, individual races, in a grand tour. Each day is a
real race. It's just that the practice of racing hard all three weeks has
departed, with "peaking", "targeting" and other practices that make the
obsession with three weeks in July very diseased.

Somehow, I wouldn't be offended if people accused me of ONLY winning a few
of them ....
Or are your statistics better ?
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

[email protected] wrote:

> Has Cipollini EVER finished the Tour?
> Any bets that he won't finish in 2004?
> Is he in this year's Tour for ratings?

How about not starting?

Marty Wallace <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour. Who
> want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a race?

Here's a trivia question. You guys all know about Cipo's record
number of stage wins in the Giro, right?

How many of those were in the final stage in Milan?

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

Cipo is no different than anybody else with a job.
He does what he gets paid to do. You can train for
top end speed or you can train to finish the Tour.
It is very hard to do both if you are also riding
(and finishing) the Giro. If he does the work to
finish the Tour and it shaves something from his
top end then that is clearly not a good move for
a guy that is paid to take stage wins.

Mario makes his choice and carries it out. Better
than anyone of his time.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Has Cipollini EVER finished the Tour?

> > No. He has finished the Giro several times but not the Tour de France.
> >
> > > Any bets that he won't finish in 2004?
> > > Is he in this year's Tour for ratings?

> > I would not want to bet my money on Cipollini finishing this year, but I
> > am hoping against hope that he will not leave empty-handed...
> >
> > -Sonarrat.

> It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour. Who
> want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a race?
>
> Marty

True, but he has finished the Giro, and the giro has always been more
important to him than the tour anyways. Also, I'd hardly use the words sad
nd pathetic to describe Cipo. I think Museeuw finished the tour once, but no
one calls him sad and pathetic! Obviously, the tour isn't the same priority
for everyone.

Marty Wallace wrote:

> It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour.
> Who want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a
> race?

If you have won several stages and are now relaxing on a beach with the
babes while your coworkers suffer on a mountain, would you care what history
has to say?

"Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> I would not want to bet my money on Cipollini finishing this year, but I
> am hoping against hope that he will not leave empty-handed...
>
> -Sonarrat.

Got to agree here. He was such a great ambassador for the sport at the Tour
de Georgia this spring.
It's difficult not to be overwhelmed by the onslaught of Lance-philia going
on and yet I'd really like to
see Super Mario win a stage or two this year.

-Kristin

Marty Wallace wrote:
> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Has Cipollini EVER finished the Tour?

>>No. He has finished the Giro several times but not the Tour de France.
>>

>>>Any bets that he won't finish in 2004?
>>>Is he in this year's Tour for ratings?

>>I would not want to bet my money on Cipollini finishing this year, but I
>>am hoping against hope that he will not leave empty-handed...
>>
>>-Sonarrat.

> It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour. Who
> want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a race?

I for one would be thrilled out of my mind to go down in history as the
man who was the best on one day of the Tour when I was 2 hours down and
everyone else let me go. You have your sights set too high. Cipo is a
legend.

-Sonarrat.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Marty Wallace wrote:
> >
> > It's sort of sad and pathetic that Mario has never finished a tour.
> > Who want's to go down history as someone that is only good for half a
> > race?
> >

> If you have won several stages and are now relaxing on a beach with the
> babes while your coworkers suffer on a mountain, would you care what

history
> has to say?

Amen brother, amen.
Dave

"Kristin Garau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > I would not want to bet my money on Cipollini finishing this year, but I
> > am hoping against hope that he will not leave empty-handed...
> >
> > -Sonarrat.

> Got to agree here. He was such a great ambassador for the sport at the

Tour
> de Georgia this spring.
> It's difficult not to be overwhelmed by the onslaught of Lance-philia

going
> on and yet I'd really like to
> see Super Mario win a stage or two this year.
>
> -Kristin

His train may be disrupted though, as Mario Scirea, one of his faithful
leadout men may be excluded for the TDF because he is under formal
investigation. Mario is the big tall lean HEMI motor that is on the front
during the last 2k that gets the train up to max speed
Dave