Any (testicular cancer survivors) riders here?

cdaleguy

Nov 13, 2004
I for one am. Clear now for 7+ years. My question is "are there any others here" and "do you think that the chemotheraphy drugs used have affected your ability to perform on your bike? I was administered the dreaded "lung killer" that Armstrong refused (bleomycin), due to it's damaging affects that it can have on lunch capacity, but was not active enough before being administered the drug, to notice any limitations now that I have started cycling.

My mother survived cancer after surgery but one of my friends died from it. Once diagnosed as having it, she took off on a world tour before starting chemo (and left it late). Apart from that, my dad's second wife died of cancer as well.
As for testicular cancer, any idea what the symptoms are? Do you always get some kind of physical indication or do you have to have X-rays e.t.c.?

cdaleguy said:
I for one am. Clear now for 7+ years. My question is "are there any others here" and "do you think that the chemotheraphy drugs used have affected your ability to perform on your bike? I was administered the dreaded "lung killer" that Armstrong refused (bleomycin), due to it's damaging affects that it can have on lunch capacity, but was not active enough before being administered the drug, to notice any limitations now that I have started cycling.

Not (always) physical (depending on what your definition of physical is)indications, as was the case with me. I was just "self-examining" and felt "something." It was just a tiny bump on my teste. After ultrasounds, xrays, bloodwork (which, by the way, never showed any elevated levels of significance), the only other option is to remove the teste (biopsy is not an option) then test for cancer. That, and the cancer had spread to near my kidney, which of course showed up on xray as a "mass."