any tips for dealing with bursitis?

markcashion

Sep 27, 2004
Just over a year ago it started to get a 'grating' sensation in my knee, often accompanied by a dull ache. I had x-rays and an MRI that indicated that there were no major problems with the bones, ligaments or cartilage, which lead to the diagnosis of bursitis. Within a month or so I was back on the bike and in the end had a fairly successful (well for me I hit most of my personal goals) first season of proper racing.

Back in November the problem reoccurred and I have only been out on the bike a couple of times since and I’m getting bored of this whole thing now and desperate to gain some sort of speed again soon!!!!!

I have had advice on the set up of the bike and have tried various tweaks (i'm 2.05m on a 63cm Trek with 92cm inseam), but i still have this problem after weeks of not even looking at the bike. Acupuncture has sort of helped, but the knee is starting to feel a bit sore again over the past week. I went out at the weekend on a club run wearing a knee brace and it was okay for 90 minutes or so before I felt it and headed home.

I have also been taking joint supplements (can't remember the name), which don't appear to have helped either.

I suspect that it could be to do with getting the knee warm and keeping it warm. Are there specific knee braces/warmers for cyclists (over and above standard leg and arm warmers) available?

Is there anything else I could try on this? Please...?

Thanks,

Mark

Ps I managed to break my little toe on Saturday night so I have another two weeks off the bike to play with!!!!!!!!!!!!