Any tips for new BikeE RX owner?

Bri

Guest
Hello All: I just ordered my first recumbent yesterday and will pick it up today, a BikeE RX. Are
there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? I hope that it holds up since
the company is out of business but I really like the ride and it's price couldn't be beat, although
the Giro bike was very tempting but an added $500 couldn't be justified by me. Thanks, Bri.

Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? Yeah, here's a tip for
ya.Have a lot of fun zippin' around by yourself, but don't go on any "club rides"...enjoy,Mark C.

Cancel immediately and get the Giro. You will end up hating yourself for buying a very nice but
SLOOOW and out of date out of production recumbent.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Bri" <"Share,D,Computer"@boeing.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All: I just ordered my first recumbent yesterday and will pick it up today, a BikeE RX.
> Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? I hope that it holds up
> since the company is out of business but I really like the ride and it's price couldn't be
> beat, although the Giro bike was very tempting but an added $500 couldn't be justified by me.
> Thanks, Bri.

By the way, if you paid more than $700 for the BikeE RX you overpaid. They are purely
clearance items.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cancel immediately and get the Giro. You will end up hating yourself for buying a very nice but
> SLOOOW and out of date out of production
recumbent.

> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Bri" <"Share,D,Computer"@boeing.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello All: I just ordered my first recumbent yesterday and will pick it up today, a BikeE RX.
> > Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? I hope that it holds up
> > since the company is out of business but I really like the ride and it's price couldn't be
> > beat, although the Giro bike was very tempting but an added $500 couldn't be justified by me.
> > Thanks, Bri.

Shwackman don't listen too closely to alot of the posters here on this news group they have a bias
against Bikee's. They may not be the fastest but they are STILL a decent bike. Ride it and enjoy it.
Later you can go out and buy a $3000 ti rush if you got the cash or inclination. As a bikeE owner
sign on to the [email protected] where hundreds of us "out of daters" lurk and support each
other! Larry Leduc "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> By the way, if you paid more than $700 for the BikeE RX you overpaid.
They
> are purely clearance items.
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Cancel immediately and get the Giro. You will end up hating yourself
for
> > buying a very nice but SLOOOW and out of date out of production
> recumbent.
> >
> > --
> > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Bri" <"Share,D,Computer"@boeing.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hello All: I just ordered my first recumbent yesterday and will pick it up today,
> > > BikeE RX. Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? I hope that
> > > it holds up since the company is out of business but I really like the ride and it's price
> > > couldn't be beat, although the Giro bike was very tempting but an added $500 couldn't be
> > > justified by me. Thanks, Bri.

Bri <"Share,D,Computer"@boeing.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello All: I just ordered my first recumbent yesterday and will pick it up today, a BikeE RX.
> Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? I hope that it holds up
> since the company is out of business but I really like the ride and it's price couldn't be
> beat, although the Giro bike was very tempting but an added $500 couldn't be justified by me.
> Thanks, Bri.

Congrats, the RX is a great bike. It is good at almost everything except speed. The RX is extremely
stable, and very good on unpaved/ crushed limestone roads. Enjoy!

Well, Robert that was a mean-spirited set of remarks you made. (I won't comment on riding an
overpriced Taiwan made bent, btw! LOL) I have about 5K miles on my RX and I am VERY content. Here's
a tip that I picked up at Atlantic Bicycles in Ft. Lauderdale. Put Kenda Kwest 100 psi tires on the
RX and you will notice a faster, quieter ride. (Don't forget to recalibrate your computer. It's a
different diameter tire than the 'worms.) I have NEVER had a flat with 'em. I use Bebop pedals:
they are, arguably, the best non-spring loaded, zero maintainence, large float pedals available.
Get the BagJob top of the beam bag, if it's still available for your pump and etc. Get the long
bolts you'll need to put a water bottle cage on the front of the stem from Atlantic. Feel confident
going downhill at 48 mph. Get used to "feathering" the front derailler to create a super quiet
drivetrain. Make sure you have the banded seat clamps that were part of a recall. Remove the sheet
metal screw "safety" stop with a vise grips and slide the seat off when you need to remove it.
(Don't snap it off!) Adjust the positions of the two quick release skewers to maximize the rear
seat tilt. Don't forget that the seat base adjusts forward/backward. I found that moving it back
decreased contact with the back of my legs. Get used to riding great distances with fatigue but no
pain, strain or migraine!

Welcome to the club!

BentJay

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Cancel immediately and get the Giro. You will end up hating yourself for buying a very nice but
> SLOOOW and out of date out of production recumbent.

And yet he never mentioned he was looking for SPEED.

> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Bri" <"Share,D,Computer"@boeing.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello All: I just ordered my first recumbent yesterday and will pick it up today, a BikeE RX.
> > Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? I hope that it holds up
> > since the company is out of business but I really like the ride and it's price couldn't be
> > beat, although the Giro bike was very tempting but an added $500 couldn't be justified by me.
> > Thanks, Bri.

"thediff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Shwackman don't listen too closely to alot of the posters here on this news group they have a bias
> against Bikee's. They may not be the fastest but they are STILL a decent bike. Ride it and enjoy
> it. Later you can go out and buy a $3000 ti rush if you got the cash or inclination. As a bikeE
> owner sign on to the [email protected] where hundreds of us "out of daters" lurk and support
> each other! Larry Leduc

The whettens group is also *snob free*!!!

> "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > By the way, if you paid more than $700 for the BikeE RX you overpaid.
> They
> > are purely clearance items.
> >
> > --
> > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> > > Cancel immediately and get the Giro. You will end up hating yourself
> for
> > > buying a very nice but SLOOOW and out of date out of production
> recumbent.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Bri" <"Share,D,Computer"@boeing.com> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

[email protected] (Shwackman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? Yeah, here's a tip for
> ya.Have a lot of fun zippin' around by yourself, but don't go on any "club rides"...enjoy,Mark C.

Don't listen to hard to these guys who put the RX down. I own several bents of different types,
one of which is the Rx. Heres some good things about them:
1. They have great balance. So much so that most everyone can get on and ride first time out.
2. They are easy to transport.
3. They are overbuilt and very tough.
4. Great bike for city riding. Quick and safe.
5. Good off road bike as recumbents go.
6. Kids love to see them and think their cool.
7. You bought very good components at a fare price.
8. Its a bike you will want to keep because friends can ride it when you have moved on to
other bikes.
9. It's a fun bike to tinker with.
10.It drives the jarheads that think their gods answer to recumbents crazy to see them still
selling well after going down the tubes as a company. Congrats on your bike I hope you have as
much fun on yours as I have had on mine!

BentJay wrote:
> ...Get used to "feathering" the front derailler to create a super quiet drivetrain....

I believe that the BikeE RX has a middle derailleur and rear derailleur, but no front derailleur.

Robert Siegel wrote:

> Cancel immediately and get the Giro. You will end up hating yourself for buying a very nice but
> SLOOOW and out of date out of production recumbent.
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush

At least the BikeE RX has a proper ISO 305-mm/ISO 406-mm wheelset, unlike the TiGRR. ;)

He will be very interested in more speed right after his 3rd or 4th ride with friends ... and has
some uphill runs behind him. Trust me. I owned and enjoyed my BikeE FX-modified-to-RX .... but it
was strictly a fun bike for rides in town, on trails, and the like.

Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "R.White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Cancel immediately and get the Giro. You will end up hating yourself
for
> > buying a very nice but SLOOOW and out of date out of production
recumbent.

> And yet he never mentioned he was looking for SPEED.
>

> > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Bri" <"Share,D,Computer"@boeing.com> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hello All: I just ordered my first recumbent yesterday and will pick it up today,
> > > BikeE RX. Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? I hope that
> > > it holds up since the company is out of business but I really like the ride and it's price
> > > couldn't be beat, although the Giro bike was very tempting but an added $500 couldn't be
> > > justified by me. Thanks, Bri.

I did not mean to be mean in any way ... just being direct. I enjoyed my FX-to-RX but it soon
became just too slow, especially uphills and riding with a group. A very nice bike, excellent for
in-town and trail rides. But I think (obviously YMMV) most folks who get into serious or even
semi-serious (like me) riding very quickly want something faster and lighter. From what I read on
this NG, the Giro seems to be excellent choice. And a $500 differential is not that much spread
over the life of the bike.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "BentJay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, Robert that was a mean-spirited set of remarks you made. (I won't comment on riding an
> overpriced Taiwan made bent, btw! LOL) I have about 5K miles on my RX and I am VERY content.

Hey, Tom Sherman!

As far as I know that's a front derailler on the mid drive of my RX. This devisive, splitting of
hairs is really silly, don't you agree? It's about the ride, as Bikee ads used to say!

BentJay

"BentJay" <[email protected]> wrote

> Hey, Tom Sherman! (1)

> As far as I know that's a front derailler on the mid drive of my RX. This devisive, splitting of
> hairs is really silly, don't you agree? It's about the ride, as Bikee ads used to say! (2)

(1) Hair-splitter, troller.

(2) Not for the "Quad"

Regards,

Mike O'Brien

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

---

That's OK, I don't normally ride with a group, maybe one or two. The last group rides that I went on
were way back in 74. I can always pull out the 27 incher if I want to go fast, I think there is
still air in the tires :)

Shwackman wrote:

> Are there any tips that you experienced RX owners can pass along to me? Yeah, here's a tip for
> ya.Have a lot of fun zippin' around by yourself, but don't go on any "club rides"...enjoy,Mark C.

Thanks for the tips. I got the rings on the seat clamps. I will try it with the seat back angled
back all the way. I had asked the guys at Angle Lake Cycle about that since the big buck bikes seem
to have the seats leaning way back, they said to get used to it more vertical then lean it back. I
think I'm used to it after my first 2 hour ride :) It is a very fun bike and I was amazed at all
the car drivers that were honking and waving and giving thumbs up, that never happens on my
conventional bikes.

BentJay wrote:

> Well, Robert that was a mean-spirited set of remarks you made. (I won't comment on riding an
> overpriced Taiwan made bent, btw! LOL) I have about 5K miles on my RX and I am VERY content.
> Here's a tip that I picked up at Atlantic Bicycles in Ft. Lauderdale. Put Kenda Kwest 100 psi
> tires on the RX and you will notice a faster, quieter ride. (Don't forget to recalibrate your
> computer. It's a different diameter tire than the 'worms.) I have NEVER had a flat with 'em. I use
> Bebop pedals: they are, arguably, the best non-spring loaded, zero maintainence, large float
> pedals available. Get the BagJob top of the beam bag, if it's still available for your pump and
> etc. Get the long bolts you'll need to put a water bottle cage on the front of the stem from
> Atlantic. Feel confident going downhill at 48 mph. Get used to "feathering" the front derailler to
> create a super quiet drivetrain. Make sure you have the banded seat clamps that were part of a
> recall. Remove the sheet metal screw "safety" stop with a vise grips and slide the seat off when
> you need to remove it. (Don't snap it off!) Adjust the positions of the two quick release skewers
> to maximize the rear seat tilt. Don't forget that the seat base adjusts forward/backward. I found
> that moving it back decreased contact with the back of my legs. Get used to riding great distances
> with fatigue but no pain, strain or migraine!
>
> Welcome to the club!
>
> BentJay

Wow! I wish I could have found one for $700, I paid $1050! I guess that was better than $1500 for a
giro with none of the RX features :)

On Wed, 07 May 2003 12:10:46 GMT, "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I did not mean to be mean in any way ... just being direct. I enjoyed my FX-to-RX but it soon
>became just too slow, especially uphills and riding with a group.

On the other hand, riding a BikeE for fun and fitness may be just the ticket. I got pretty good at
hills and friendly group rides on my BikeE AT,-- not so fast, but a respectable recreational rider
level. I rode a number of 50 and 60 mile rides on the BikeE.

Assuming he's already bought the BikeE, my suggestion is to ride the 'dickens' out of the BikeE. Put
a box on the beam behind the seat (mine was a colored 5 gallon coordinated plastic storage box). Use
the bike to run errands. Use it for leisurely rides with the family. Use it for aerobic
conditioning. Use it to build leg strength. Push it to go faster. Push it to go further.

At the point when the BikeE is holding him back and his budget permits, he can then buy another
recumbent better optimized for the type of riding he's interested in.

In the mean time, "it's not about the bike", so I hear.

Jon Meinecke