Any tips to train for a 25 mile race?

bikerwannabee

Sep 2, 2003
It's a triathlon relay and I'm doing the cycling leg. The course is defined as "fast and flat". Some info about me: I'm new to cycling and have about 350 miles for this summer so far using a 2004 OCR1, 6'3" 206lbs, my routine has been a route that is 19-20 miles long with one or two small hills - I do this about three times a week but it's becoming boring.

I need some advice on what things I should be doing for a great time on this 25 miler. For example, should I be avoiding hills? Would you scope out the route prior to the big day? The race is Aug13. Thanks.

Here is the route: http://www.turtleman.org/courses.phtml

Look at the results from last years race. Most folks were in the 21-24mph average. I'd work on riding for time and distance that is as close to those numbers as I could....

L

bikerwannabee said:
It's a triathlon relay and I'm doing the cycling leg. The course is defined as "fast and flat". Some info about me: I'm new to cycling and have about 350 miles for this summer so far using a 2004 OCR1, 6'3" 206lbs, my routine has been a route that is 19-20 miles long with one or two small hills - I do this about three times a week but it's becoming boring.

I need some advice on what things I should be doing for a great time on this 25 miler. For example, should I be avoiding hills? Would you scope out the route prior to the big day? The race is Aug13. Thanks.

Here is the route: http://www.turtleman.org/courses.phtml
This is the simplest race to prepare for, because you don't have to worry about surges, bridges, climbs, sprints and avoiding crashes, which are the real challenges with RRs and crits. I recommend a training regimen to raise your 40K TT power. Personally, I follow Andy Coggan's power meter training schema, with two pure interval days and two group rides with some high-intensity efforts whenever possible (hills, wind) per week. It is producing the predicted results. I strongly recommend getting a PM to use your training time most efficiently. I am much more efficient with my training time now that I have a PM. For example, I now realize that when I was using HR to manage my high-intensity efforts I was cheating from time to time by taking advantage of the HR lag. When you slack off a touch with a PM, you know it instantly. A week before the ride, do a 1 hr ride (flat course with no stop signs or lights) at the maximum pace you can sustain. This'll give you a benchmark for the race, to help you avoid going too fast in the first half (a common mistake). In the race, you want to be able to pace yourself within a few watts of your "blow up" pace. You might also want to experiment with bike setup and position to minimize your drag. Again, a PM is invaluable. If you ride a standard road bike in a mediocre aero position, you are probably leaving 5+ minutes on the table. Good luck.

Cool. I will try to do some of my weekend rides on the exact triathlon route.

Also, do you guys recommend riding with extra weight on...like one or two 10lb dumbells in a back pack. And do you guys drink anything like red bull before a hard ride? Thanks for the feedback!

bikerwannabee said:
Also, do you guys recommend riding with extra weight on...like one or two 10lb dumbells in a back pack. And do you guys drink anything like red bull before a hard ride? Thanks for the feedback!
No no no:eek: . Riding with weight is not only dangerous, but it will only train you to go slower. Like Rap Daddy said, train your 40K power. Focus on training to put out the highest power possible for those 25 miles. Go fast, enjoy it, and ride it like ya stole it ;)

Red Bull is a favorite of mine, but I don't drink it a lot during cycling because of the carbonation. Sometimes I'll have it as a 'pick-me-up' before an early morning race, and then once in a while during a stop in a loooooong ride, but other than that, I would just focus on the pre-ride meal with higher carbohydrate foods/drinks like a small bagel/gatorade for example. This is so you go into the ride with your fuel stores topped off.