Any Tricks for installing FSA MegaExo Cranks

Sir Topham Hatt

Guest
Just installed a pair of the FSA K-Force MegaExo Cranks on my ride. Quite a
struggle getting the spindle inserted thru the bearings and BB. Any tricks to
make this easier next time?

BTW
These are beautiful cranks, very stiff, very reponsive, very smooth bearings

thxs

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
> Just installed a pair of the FSA K-Force MegaExo Cranks on my ride. Quite a
> struggle getting the spindle inserted thru the bearings and BB. Any tricks to
> make this easier next time?
>
> BTW
> These are beautiful cranks, very stiff, very reponsive, very smooth bearings
>
> thxs

A tap on the crank, with lots of grasso on the spindle. Hopefully your
frame is prepped, very important with these external bearing cranks.

Also, per the FSA warranty department, install the non-drive cup after
pushing the spindle through the drive side. By screwing it in, it will pul
itselft over the spindle and help avoid breakage of the plastic bearing
cover/bushing.

> Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
> > Just installed a pair of the FSA K-Force MegaExo Cranks on my ride.

Quite a
> > struggle getting the spindle inserted thru the bearings and BB. Any

tricks to
> > make this easier next time?
> >
> > BTW
> > These are beautiful cranks, very stiff, very reponsive, very smooth

bearings

> > thxs

> A tap on the crank, with lots of grasso on the spindle. Hopefully your
> frame is prepped, very important with these external bearing cranks.

Well then somebody better tell FSA's Warranty Department, those are not what the
instructions say ...

Install the R. bearing cup and alloy middle spacer.
Tighten cup to 400~500 kgf-cm / 39~49 N-m /
29~36 ft-lbs / 39~49 N-m / 29~36 ft-lbs. (Use
FSA cup tool part no. E0102 or Park Tool part no.
BBT-9)

(3), (4) Install the L. bearing cups and rubber shell
spacer. Tighten to 400~500 kgf-cm / 39~49 N-m
/ 29~36 ft-lbs.

(5), (6), Install O-ring fully onto the axle of the R. crank.
Install one triple spacer.

(7) Gently and completely insert the R. crank through
the BB cups.

(8), (9) Install O-Ring and triple spacer on L. side of axle.
(10), (11) Grease the threads and washers of the M18
fixing screw. Install the L. crank onto the axle.
Tighten the fixing screw to 350~400 kgf-cm

I had one other small problem. The screw at the bottom of the BB shell, that
holds the shifter cable guide, interfeared with the installation of the aluminum
spacer. I had to back off on the screw, then install the spacer, then set the
screw back.

"Wannagofast" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Also, per the FSA warranty department, install the non-drive cup after
>pushing the spindle through the drive side. By screwing it in, it will pul
>itselft over the spindle and help avoid breakage of the plastic bearing
>cover/bushing.
>

>"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
>> > Just installed a pair of the FSA K-Force MegaExo Cranks on my ride.

>Quite a
>> > struggle getting the spindle inserted thru the bearings and BB. Any

>tricks to
>> > make this easier next time?
>> >
>> > BTW
>> > These are beautiful cranks, very stiff, very reponsive, very smooth

>bearings
>> >
>> > thxs

>> A tap on the crank, with lots of grasso on the spindle. Hopefully your
>> frame is prepped, very important with these external bearing cranks.

At least warranty knows that there is a problem with step 7, so they need to
talk internally and take the learnings from the field/warranty department
and use them to improve the instructions. It would be cheap to update the
online ones.

The warranty guy told me because of breakage on the non-drive side
cover/bushing, they've improved it by mixing carbon in with the plastic.

news:[email protected]...