Any Truvativ BB experience (and compatability ques.)

Chris

Guest
I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the Truvativ Stylo Team and the
RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of money - I just
love my bike.

So PricePoint's website tells me the Stylo cranks are only compatable with the Truvativ Sealex BBs,
even though the Sealex BBs are listed as ISIS drive (the ST cranks description simply reads
"splined"). I checked out the Truvativ BBs on mtbr, and they have horrid reviews...all less than
three "stars" or whatever system they use. So...has anyone ever used a Truvativ BB? Should I be
afraid? Are the Stylo Teams (2001 and 2002 models) ISIS or proprietarily (a la Shimano) splined? Can
I put a RF ISIS BB in a 01-02 Stylo Team?

The Next LP really seems like the way to go - because it is the baddest ass crank ever - but I
wanted to order all the stuff I need to both finish upgrading my Sugar and finish building my
hardtail, and if I go Next, I will blow out my self-established price limit by about $100.

Vital stats that may apply to BB questions: It will be installed in a Sugar frame, so
short-to-mid-travel FS, ridden mostly XC, some "trail riding," rider is 185 (and losing weight, but
probably will never get to 175, thanks to genetic love handles and increasing muscle mass).

I should just buy the damn Next's and a RF SRX BB and stop my *****ing, right?

Chris

PS - I always shop at my LBS, 'cuz dammit, it's the right thing to do, but even they tell me to shop
online for some stuff...they just can't compete with the prices.

Chris wrote:
> I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the Truvativ Stylo Team and the
> RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of money - I just love
> my bike.
>
> So PricePoint's website tells me the Stylo cranks are only compatable with the Truvativ Sealex
> BBs, even though the Sealex BBs are listed as ISIS drive (the ST cranks description simply reads
> "splined"). I checked out the Truvativ BBs on mtbr, and they have horrid reviews...all less than
> three "stars" or whatever system they use. So...has anyone ever used a Truvativ BB? Should I be
> afraid? Are the Stylo Teams (2001 and 2002 models) ISIS or proprietarily (a la Shimano) splined?
> Can I put a RF ISIS BB in a 01-02 Stylo Team?
>
> The Next LP really seems like the way to go - because it is the baddest ass crank ever - but I
> wanted to order all the stuff I need to both finish upgrading my Sugar and finish building my
> hardtail, and if I go Next, I will blow out my self-established price limit by about $100.
>
> Vital stats that may apply to BB questions: It will be installed in a Sugar frame, so
> short-to-mid-travel FS, ridden mostly XC, some "trail riding," rider is 185 (and losing weight,
> but probably will never get to 175, thanks to genetic love handles and increasing muscle mass).
>
> I should just buy the damn Next's and a RF SRX BB and stop my *****ing, right?
>
> Chris
>
> PS - I always shop at my LBS, 'cuz dammit, it's the right thing to do, but even they tell me to
> shop online for some stuff...they just can't compete with the prices.

I have Next LPs on a TruVative sealex ISIS BB.

I've had 2 BBs so far. The first lasted about 5k miles, but I replaced with when I could feel slop
in the bearing and could probably have gotten another 1k+ out of it before it got bad enough that I
*had* to replace it (didn't like the clicking). The second came with tight bearings -- the first
would spin easily, the 2nd was bound a bit. Didn't notice it riding at all. Took over 1k miles to
free-up. I don't know if it was tight bearings or slightly off bore on one side. Since it works for
my bike and comes in a 118 (needed for the Next LPs to clear my swing-arm pivots), I'm using it! :).
The fact that RaceFace will only produce 113s has me annoyed at their arrogance -- their way or the
highway? starting to sound like Shimano.

Note that it doesn't take the standard shimano BB tool. I think that it uses the spider tool, but
I'm not sure (I had one already, but don't remember what I bought it for :)).

David

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 05:43:54 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the Truvativ Stylo Team and the
>RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of money - I just
>love my bike.
>
>So PricePoint's website tells me the Stylo cranks are only compatable with the Truvativ Sealex BBs,
>even though the Sealex BBs are listed as ISIS drive (the ST cranks description simply reads
>"splined"). I checked out the Truvativ BBs on mtbr, and they have horrid reviews...all less than
>three "stars" or whatever system they use. So...has anyone ever used a Truvativ BB? Should I be
>afraid? Are the Stylo Teams (2001 and 2002 models) ISIS or proprietarily (a la Shimano) splined?
>Can I put a RF ISIS BB in a 01-02 Stylo Team?
>
>The Next LP really seems like the way to go - because it is the baddest ass crank ever - but I
>wanted to order all the stuff I need to both finish upgrading my Sugar and finish building my
>hardtail, and if I go Next, I will blow out my self-established price limit by about $100.
>
>Vital stats that may apply to BB questions: It will be installed in a Sugar frame, so
>short-to-mid-travel FS, ridden mostly XC, some "trail riding," rider is 185 (and losing weight, but
>probably will never get to 175, thanks to genetic love handles and increasing muscle mass).
>
>I should just buy the damn Next's and a RF SRX BB and stop my *****ing, right?
>
>Chris
>
>PS - I always shop at my LBS, 'cuz dammit, it's the right thing to do, but even they tell me to
> shop online for some stuff...they just can't compete with the prices.

I have the Stylo Team cranks and the Sealex BB. I have not had any problems with mine but I only
have about 1k miles or so on it right now. I did have to buy the Park BBT-8 tool to install it. One
note with using the tool. You have to keep pressure pushing in on the tool to keep it from slipping
off while you tight the BB. I took a washer just big enough around to catch the tool and with an
internal opening big enough to fit the crank bolt into. Put the tool on the BB then screw in in the
washer/crank bolt and then the tool can't slip off the BB.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

> I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the
Truvativ
> Stylo Team and the RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of
> money - I just love my bike.

<snipped my own details>

Alright, nevermind. The Stylo Team looks like a great crankset, but I knew if I ordered it I would
still always be dreaming of the Next LP - so that's what I bought. I offset the cost by going square
taper (with compact rings and RF Taperlock CrMO BB - $229); I can wait a few years for ISIS.

For the record, I also bought all the parts I need for my hardtial project, and some stuff I just
plain wanted. Grand total for cranks, BB, xtr F and xt R ders, xtr cables, xt chain, zuzu pedals, RF
Deus stem - $449.

I better not get a girlfriend anytime soon, as I can no longer afford to date.

Chris (still thinks it's a bit crazy that $449 doesn't seem that expensive for bike parts when, in
reality, it's ridiculous)

Chris wrote:
> I'm buying a crankset this weekend and have narrowed it down to the Truvativ Stylo Team and the
> RF Next LP. Ordinarily, I know, there'd be no comparison, but I'm not made of money - I just love
> my bike.
>
> So PricePoint's website tells me the Stylo cranks are only compatable with the Truvativ Sealex
> BBs, even though the Sealex BBs are listed as ISIS drive

ISIS is ISIS.... that is the whole point behind a "standard"
I.S.I.S. (International Spline Interface Standard)

> (the ST cranks description simply reads "splined"). I checked out the Truvativ BBs on mtbr, and
> they have horrid reviews...

Dunno, I use RaceFace North Shore XS bottom Brackets. I can destroy a Shitmano UN-72 in a
matter of miles

The baddest @ssed crank ever made is the Rafe Face North Shore DH

David Kunz wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
> Note that it doesn't take the standard shimano BB tool.

100% correct.... You ABOSULTELY _NEED_ the Race Face BB tool