Any Turner 5 Spot owners...

G.T.

Guest
...on a.m-b? Or 2002 or before Turner XCE owners? Friends of a 5 Spot or XCE owner? Just looking
for reviews.

The 5 Spot is way at the top of my list and I made a deal with myself that when I started working
again I'd treat myself to a poseur bike.

Poseur Extraordinaire

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ...on a.m-b? Or 2002 or before Turner XCE owners? Friends of a 5 Spot or XCE owner? Just looking
> for reviews.
>
> The 5 Spot is way at the top of my list and I made a deal with myself that when I started working
> again I'd treat myself to a poseur bike.
>
> Poseur Extraordinaire

Is it gonna COST you a 5 spot (five LARGE spot, that is)?!?

I know a rather large guy who replaced his broken Truth with a Burner, I believe, and seemed to
really like it.

Bill "adding nothing to the conversation, as usual, but WTF" S.

news:<[email protected]>...
> ...on a.m-b? Or 2002 or before Turner XCE owners? Friends of a 5 Spot or XCE owner? Just looking
> for reviews.
>
> The 5 Spot is way at the top of my list and I made a deal with myself that when I started working
> again I'd treat myself to a poseur bike.
>
> Poseur Extraordinaire

Not an xce owner but I do own an RFX which is the (non-pussified) strengthened version of the xce.
Can't praise it enough. I've had it about a year and a half and the bushings etc have not needed any
more attention than a squirt of grease through the grease ports every couple of months, or after a
really wet / muddy ride. I don't get out as much as some but the British weather makes any ride
pretty demanding on pivots etc.

Suspension action feels active all the time, some bob in the small ring (watch it rimmer) but
noticeably less than other bikes I have owned (Intense, Foes). Climbs great despite its 34lb weight
and descends, well lets say I know its not the bike that limits me.

Steve E. aka spademan (my ropey news server is not showing any new posts so I'm using google ATM)

news:<[email protected]>...

spademan o---[ * wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>...on a.m-b? Or 2002 or before Turner XCE owners? Friends of a 5 Spot or XCE owner? Just looking
>>for reviews.
>>
>>The 5 Spot is way at the top of my list and I made a deal with myself that when I started working
>>again I'd treat myself to a poseur bike.
>>
>>Poseur Extraordinaire
>

> Not an xce owner but I do own an RFX which is the (non-pussified) strengthened version of the xce.

Ok, I can't remember the previous model lineup, in order of burliness the current lineup is
with travel:

Burner 3.5", 5 Spot 5", DHR 8.5" (and the dirt jumper Rail at 4.5")

Were there 4 models before, Burner, XCE, RFX, and DHR?

Can't praise it enough. I've had it
> about a year and a half and the bushings etc have not needed any more attention than a squirt
> of grease through the grease ports every couple of months, or after a really wet / muddy ride.
> I don't get out as much as some but the British weather makes any ride pretty demanding on
> pivots etc.

I was most concerned about the bushings, your weather and riding would be a good test, though, so
that's good to hear. I'd buy a 5 Spot today if it had bearings, but I've still got a couple of
bearing equiped frames in mind.

Thanks for the info.

Greg

I bought a 2002 Turner 02 (renamed Burner in 2003) with 3.5" of travel last Feb. Immediately replaced the rockers with the ones from XCE to get 4.5" of travel and replaced the air shock with a Romic. The XCE was seriously back ordered and I just HAD to have a Turner - go figure. Well, after riding the Turner most of the summer I bought a Heckler with 6" of rear travel. I really liked the Heckler and started seriously comparing it to the Turner. As a result I'm ordering a Turner 5 Spot and selling my 02 and the Heckler. The Turner 02 is a GREAT XC trail bike, but I ride rocky, rooty singletrack here in Maine and I need a laterally stiff frame with at least 5" of rear travel to soak up obstacles. The 02 is made for the xc riders, 5.5 lbs frame weight, and the 5 spot is built with the same attention to detail but more travel and stiffer, @ 7 lbs. The quality of the ride is MUCH better than the single pivot types. I really enjoy the Heckler, but the suspension design of the Turner REALLY provides better all around performance. Don't agonize over it any more -- order the 5 Spot.