Any vegitarians on here?!

Im personally not a vegetarian, but I do have a friend attempting to lose weight. I keep reminding him that he should focus on protein and a good workout, but he just does not listen. I am not saying there is anything wrong with his plan, but it might not be healthy for him. Being a vegetarian takes lots of discipline, especially as a biker.

I am not a vegetarian either and I feel that being a vegetarian really doesn't provide for all the nutritional needs the body has and most vegetarians don't look that healthy, they are just too thin and yellow.

I am a vegetarian and I definitely love my diet. It is one of the greatest thong about living. I believe it can be quite helpful in many ways if you are a vegetarian.

I am a vegetarian and I definitely love my diet. It is one of the greatest thong about living. I believe it can be quite helpful in many ways if you are a vegetarian.

Haha, funny typo there shilpa! :D

Well, how can you fully exercise if you are a vegetarian, where do you get the energy from?

I'm not a vegeterian*, I like eating a lot of meat, especially for dinner.
Being a vegeterian isn't good, because you don't fullfill your body with enough of vitamins.
Meat is necessary in our diet in order to stay healthy and fit also.

I usually eat vegan, but since I am losing muscle mass very quickly, my doctors say I should eat at least some sort of meats for protein as its getting very serious. I'm kinda forced to eat meats now :(

I'm not a vegetarian; I do eat meat occasionally. However I don't eat meat as much as most people. Most of my protein sources come from eggs, chickpeas, and protein-rich grains. I don't eat that way no purpose or because I feel like I need to avoid meat, though. I just prefer those foods over meat. I like eating it once in a while so I'm not completely vegetarian. :) I had chicken just earlier today!

I was a full vegetarian for one year though. Someone showed those animal abuse videos that PETA puts out, and I was so sickened by them that I refused to support animal cruelty. Took me a while before I learned that PETA exaggerates basically all of their advertising and campaigns, and by a year in I had given up on it because I wanted a hamburger, lol.

Being a vegetarian has its ups and downs - it does not provide all the required nutrients in a daily meal. There is no protein in vegetables, or fruits, so eating some form of protein (protein bar, etc.) is required to fulfill that particular requirement. You need a sufficient amount of vitamins, which vegetables also do not provide in an abundant amount.

MNyte said:
Being a vegetarian has its ups and downs - it does not provide all the required nutrients in a daily meal. There is no protein in vegetables, or fruits, so eating some form of protein (protein bar, etc.) is required to fulfill that particular requirement. You need a sufficient amount of vitamins, which vegetables also do not provide in an abundant amount.
Exactly, it's not the best decision to be a vegeterian while being an active bike rider.

I need some carbs and protein for energy so that I can sustain my ride. I am not sure if fruits and or vegetables alone will provide all what my body needs especially when I engage in strenuous activities.

You know, everyone on here saying that vegetarians don't get enough vitamins in their diet is amusing to me (someone becoming a jainist vegan). Because that's actually a common misconception. The only vitamin present in animal meat that people who eat meat have in abundance is Vitamin B12-- and vegetarians, who still consume dairy and eggs get plenty of that, since milk, cheese and eggs have B12 as well.

Meaning that not only do you not lose out on any nutrients when you become a vegetarian, but your diet actually becomes healthier due to the amount of green you eat AND you don't kill any animals OR contriube to the huge environemental problems that have arisen from the meat industry.

I tried once in my life and it lasted about 2 weeks. It wasn't for me. Meat is for us to eat! Plus vegetarians eat meat when they get drunk, they throw their beliefs out the window. :D

A vegetarian diet is high in fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals, which is important to a healthy diet. Some cancers are more prevalent in meat eaters that is why we should avoid eating meat and processed meat products. Vegetarians have low blood pressure thus lower risk of a heart disease.

I was a vegetarian for a couple of years, and then I decided I would only eat fish, not any other meat than that one. Anyone who claims that a vegetarian cannot get enough protein from other food, rather than meat, should first try to educate himself/herself. Do not claim something you have no knowledge of. Try to do your own research.
Until you do, check out this photo. :)
where-do-vegans-get-their-protein.jpg

That is completly false Ron, there is no protein in any of those foods. Broccoli is a plant, it's not made from animals and therefor can't have any protein. Protein is the most important vitamin, humans are at the top of the food chain and should eat a diet based on grass fed proteins. We're genetically carnivores, which explains why so many of us start watering at the mouth when we walk past the meat section of a super market.
Actually, I would disagree with you. Maybe you should do a little bit more research before you say that what someone had said is completely false. I really hope you would take a look at this article. There are of course many other articles like this that can probably teach you something. :)
http://gentleworld.org/10-protein-packed-plants/

Best thing to do is do your own research on what is feasible based on your budget and availability of food in your supermarket or local market or restaurants, taking into consideration your own preference. As long as you take the necessary nutrients based on the RDA and adjust your carb/protein/fat intake based on your weight and lifestyle, any vegetarian diet will work. You might need to supplement on some of the vitamins not available in plants, though.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I love vegetables. I think being vegetarian is not applicable for my body. My metabolism work fast and I really need some meaty foods for that.