any way to buy a sram power link without being screwed in the process?

Strelok

Apr 12, 2011
pricepoint wants $15 for 4 of these stupid things. you'd think they'd be free or something. i lost half of my link in the dirt somewhere.

jensen wants $4 for ONE of them.

My LBS has them for 4 dollars each. I save my old ones when I replace chains. I keep the used links in my saddle bags for emergencies.
As far as getting screwed I am a firm believer that whenever we purchase anything for our bikes we are getting screwed.
I can buy a used pick up truck for the same amount of money as a Dura Ace group.
All these components are massed produced in asia. I bet Mr Shimano has twice as much cash as Oprah.

Originally Posted by davereo .

As far as getting screwed I am a firm believer that whenever we purchase anything for our bikes we are getting screwed.
I can buy a used pick up truck for the same amount of money as a Dura Ace group.
All these components are massed produced in asia. I bet Mr Shimano has twice as much cash as Oprah.

Reactions: davereo
Strelok,

I'd get your mother to go to the bike shop for you after she's done with changing your diapers. If you think that the powerlinks are that stupid how 'bout you get a real chain that relies on pins rather than a rinky-dink link that way you can spare use the whine over a required part that costs a whopping $4.

Originally Posted by steve .

If you pay almost $15k for an R6 you're being screwed. MSRP is less than $11K and they're going out the door in sales for less than $10K. It might have been a good comparison if any of the prices were even remotely correct...

it's a required part that costs 2 cents to make. it's not like a pair of grips or something. it's a bloody rip off just like those stupid gillette razors.

Strelok said:
it's a required part that costs 2 cents to make. it's not like a pair of grips or something. it's a bloody rip off just like those stupid gillette razors.
No way $0.02, but not important. Use a chain tool and one of the standard links in the chain and you don't need the Power Link/Lock.

it works for busting, but putting it back together is the problem. what does the tool used to do that cost?

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

If you pay almost $15k for an R6 you're being screwed. MSRP is less than $11K and they're going out the door in sales for less than $10K. It might have been a good comparison if any of the prices were even remotely correct...
It's correct in Australia.

Originally Posted by Strelok .

you don't have to re-mushroom the rivet head? already got a breaker.
No. The pins in the standard links are compression fit. If you asking about mushrooming the pin on a Power Lock link, you cannot reuse the SRAM Power Lock (10s chain). You'll destroy it getting it apart. The PowerLink version for 7/8s and 9s will come apart and can be reused (but I don't).

So as long as you're working on the standard links, just push the pin through until it clears the roller, but not completely through the side plate. You'll have a difficult time getting it back in if you push it all the way out ... can be done, but just easier if you don't push it out. Do just like in the video and you won't need the "quick link". You'll have to remove one inner link so you don't terminate both ends of the chain with inner links. Sram does that so the power link/lock can connect both ends.

The PowerLink is a nice feature if you want to quickly remove the chain to clean it or swap chains. The 10s version wasn't reliable as a "removable" link, so it was redesigned to permanently lock (and renamed PowerLock). You will destroy it getting it apart. So much of the convenience is gone with the 10s version. Still not a bad thing to carry one with you if you don't have a chain tool with you. Worst case, use a nail and rock or whatever you can find to push the pin out of a broken link and use the Power Lock to snap your chain back together. If you're trying to limit the junk in your seat bag, best to carry a "pin pusher" so you don't have to scrounge for a nail on the road/trail.. You'll be really lucky if you find what you need. Rocks are plentiful. :)

If you carry a chain tool with you, then the PowerLock doesn't have a lot of value, except it is a little faster to reassemble the chain. I use the PowerLocks "just because", but they aren't required.

no, i thought the ends of the pins had to be mushroomed for them to stay in the chain.

no, i thought the ends of the pins had to be mushroomed for them to stay in the chain.
No they don't. Just press it on in and make sure it is even on both sides.

BTW I agree about getting ripped off by the LBS's. I found one LBS where the owner is really cool and the rest are just there to sell you any damn thing they can no matter how big or small. I have gotten so much bad advice and BS regarding setup and other issues that hardly know where to begin. I have wasted a small fortune on junk I didn't need because I took the bad advice. No longer.

Originally Posted by davereo .

My LBS has them for 4 dollars each. I save my old ones when I replace chains. I keep the used links in my saddle bags for emergencies.
Heck yeah. 4 bucks for a freaking CO2 cartridge? It's not the amount, it's the knowledge of bad you are getting screwed.

I know this thread is old however some may pass this way and save them some time. I exploded a link on a road climb out of the saddle probably due... 1500 miles and 50% had no friggin idea the seemingly "removable" link was not removable on the 10spd sram chain. thank god I was almost home...cross training cyclo cross style run home shoes off.

mtb broken chains yeah one or two in 15+ years ... 15+ years of road never broke a chain till now

I have my share of pushin pins to fix a broken chain in the middle of nowhere from days gone .... so from the suggestion here to push it... done...pushed out just to the outter plate and pushed back in piece of cake. My advice for anyone passing through with a sram 10spd drive train... get your self a nice mini chain tool practice on a old chain... and dont leave home without it.

My Masi now has new life for a couple days till the new chain comes. damn I F'd with that stupid power link for 30 min until i looked here. and seriously in less time than it took to type this... my chain is fixed... probably last another couple hundred miles ... less a couple links but it fine...but I am in the saddle again tomorrow and a new chain on its way.