Anybody also a musician?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by randall0069, Oct 29, 2003.

1. randall0069

randall0069 New Member

I'm just wondering if any other bikers out there share my other passion - music. I'm in a band called KaleidoscopiK and have been for about 8 years now. Played in several other bands before then but now one band is enough. Although in need of an update, check out my website www.kaleidoscopik.com.

Remember, keep your stick on the ice!

Tags:

2. pineapple

pineapple New Member

Well I've played violin for the better part of my life so I guess that counts me in! What kind of music you play?

3. randall0069

randall0069 New Member

We've coined the term "Electro-Alternative" to describe our brand of Rock. Powerful alternative riffs with electronic sequences all to back up an enchanting female vocalist! We seem to have a decent following here in Montreal and you can catch us on stage at least once a month (not enough but that's what its like) including a super Halloween bash this Saturday night.

4. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

I've played drums off and on since I was 7 (I'm 31 now). It's been more off than on the last 5 years or so, but I've recently corrected that, I bought a used set this spring and began banging away again. I got a guitar for Christmas last year and have been (slowly) learning how to play that. I think my frustrations at sucking at guitar right now pushed me to get back to something I am pretty decent at (drums). Who knows, at least I'm playing again, albeit not very well; yet.

K.

5. Blimp

Blimp New Member

my guitar goes up to 11

6. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

That would scare the sheep down there. Seen any of those pesky foxes recently?

I'm building a lagerphone:
    http://www.varietyqld.org/MiscEvents/Lagerphone.htm
    for a bike-related event .(SingleSpeed Worlds)
    Other than that, I have absolutely no musical talent. I'm tone deaf and my attempts at singing are painful to behold. But I do have a photographic knowledge of Countdown from the years 1978-1987.

7. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

Played guitar for a while....totally forgot everything.... I was still young.

8. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

That was great! I'm gonna have to make one for my wife and tell her she's the "new" background personality in the "band." That would be cool. I dig your signature as well.

K.

9. Shifter

Shifter New Member

Blues Harp, Rythm/Lead guitar and playing the fool on many a stage at this end (Aust)

-------edit-----Ha...dig the junior member tag, hell I'm middle aged!

10. Malvern_star

Malvern_star New Member

I'm very proud to be a bassplayer. :)
    Been playing guitar and bass for nearly 20 years. Everything from jazz, folk and classical to metal.
    Currently in a metal band. Influences are: Dimmu Borgir , Immortal , Blind Guardian.
    Any other metalheads here?

11. Scoundrel

Scoundrel New Member

I've been fooling around with a bass guitar for a few years and I'm starting to get good at it. My main influence is punk, but punk bass gets pretty boring. Cake and Jamiroquai do some pretty interesting stuff.

12. Malvern_star

Malvern_star New Member

I think punk has some underated bassplayers . One of those is the bassplayer from Dead Kennedys.
    Not sure if Jamiraquai have had two bassplayers , anyhow the basslines are great.
    Highly recommend Marcus Millers' playing if you like the jazz/funk bass style.

Cheers

13. stevenaleach

stevenaleach New Member

I've been playing guitar off and on for about 10 or 11 years. My wife and I both picked up violins about a year ago. She also plays guitar as well piano. Oh, and there is an old banjo lurking about the house somewhere that I might eventually learn to play.

14. randall0069

randall0069 New Member

At the moment, my favorite bass players are Geddy Lee of Rush, Tony Levin of all over the place but mostly does tours with Peter Gabriel and last but not least Sting on his The Police records. Very competent musicians all around. I wish I could sing at the same time as playing but my fingers go haywire. A little more practice I guess.

15. Blimp

Blimp New Member

q. what do you call someone who can't play guitar?
    a. a bass player.

q. what do you call someone who hangs around musicians?
    a. a drummer

16. gregplo

gregplo New Member

I've played the trumpet for about 35 years...maybe one day I'll get good at it!

Greg

17. melvyng

melvyng New Member

Yeah man, my two passions are saxophone and riding. I've played in a few rock and blues outfits but since '95 have settled into a local big band, just switched from 1st tenor to baritone. I'd love to play in a horn section for a Latin dance band someday but that doesn't seem to be happening around here.

18. ireman_1

ireman_1 New Member

That is pretty damn funny! I shared it with the cat helping me learn the guitfidle (as he calls it) and he agreed.

K.

19. Etxy

Etxy New Member

I play bassoon, which is a double reed instrument that sounds like a nauseous cow. :)

20. cpa

cpa New Member

Yup,

Played Guitar for 22 years. (I'm 30)
    Learnt Classical for 10 yrs as a kid, did all the exams & stuff, while also letting off steam on electric guitar.

Played in Rock band around Perth years ago.
    Still jam on my Satriani Signature model Ibanez, my Yamaha APX-4 Electric/Acoustic and a Classical.

Wife don't like the noise of the Satch much. I'm right into Satriani and instrumental rock numbers.

Let's Wwwwockkkkkk !