Anybody doing this Year's Etape Du Tour

UncleFred

Oct 4, 2005
I did it last year for the first time and am doing it again this year. I was wondering how others are approaching their training and what are you doing differently to take into account the much harder route.

UncleFred said:
I did it last year for the first time and am doing it again this year. I was wondering how others are approaching their training and what are you doing differently to take into account the much harder route.
I also took part last year and the year before and will be riding again this year, my training has been pretty much the same. My top tips would be just pace yourself and dont go off the quick at the start, its a marathon not a sprint and drink plenty of fluids regardless of if you are thirsty. One thing for sure its going to be a long day in the saddle.
Wayne

I'm doing my last Century tomorrow, then I have a 75 mile road race the following weekend and then I'll be tapering off until the Etape.

Question is, how did you do last year? Lot's of folks didn't finish. It may be hot it may rain (being the Pyrenees). The Port de Bales is an interesting climb. The Route du Sud used it as a time trial a werk or so ago and it took an hour and change for them to get to the top.

Last year I finished in 9hrs 50, but took it easy and spent time taking pictures and phoning home with progress reports.

This year I'm a lot fitter and quicker, I have a coach and have been placing in local races. Last weekend I completed a 115 mile ride (with about 3000ft of climbing) in 7 hours.

This year I'll be riding to finish in hopefully around 8 hours. So no camera or phone calls. Of course that's assuming that it will be dry and warm.

I'm used to riding in temps of 90-95 degrees, so the afternoon riding was perfect last year, the morning I struggled as I found it too cold.