Anybody ever used these with their HS-33???

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by zod, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. zod

    zod Guest

    Goodridge Steel Braided tubing kit as seen here???

    http://tinyurl.com/23xs8

    From what I understand all the parts are reusable unlike standard magura
    ferrules/olives, so you never have to have extra parts ever again should
    you change/shorten your hydraulic line!!!

    Come in clear
    [image:
    http://www.mtbstore.com/product_images04/Goodridge-HydraulicTubing-BT00024.jpg]

    and carbon!
    [image:
    http://www.mtbstore.com/product_images04/Goodridge-HydraulicTubing-BT00022.jpg]

    --
    zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
    zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

  2. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    It doesn't look like it includes the fittings necessary to make the
    crossover line for the Magura rim brake. It's the crossover line that
    most needs to be the steel braided line. The plastic crossover line
    gets messed up (kinked or broken) too quickly from muni use.

    My brake line is some after market line put together by a local DH bike
    shop. I don't know what brand the line is. It's stronger and more kink
    resistant that the stock plastic Magura line, but I don't think it's as
    flexible as the steel braided Magura line. It works well enough for me.
    The bike shop puts it all together for me for about $35 which includes
    the fittings. It doesn't use the olive style fittings.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  3. zod

    zod Guest

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    zod wrote:
    > *Yea, it doesn't come with the crossover and it's fittings, I'd have
    > to buy that separate........ It could get costly to change to steel
    > braided... :)
    >
    > Oh John another question. Does the steel braided cross-over from
    > Magura use their typical ferrules or does it have re-usable parts??? *

    The Magura steel braided line does not use the olive style connectors
    that are used on the plastic line. They're reusable fittings.

    Here's a PDF from Magura that shows how to install the braided hose and
    includes pictures of the fittings:
    'How to cut the braided hose' (http://tinyurl.com/366tt)
    The PDF is linked on the 'Magura home page'
    (http://www.magura.de/english/frameset/default.htm). Go to their
    Downloads section.

    Something to note about the Magura braided line. The braided crossover
    connects differently to the slave cylinders than the plastic crossover.
    The Magura braided crossover has a M8 connector at one end and a M6
    connector at the other end. The plastic line has M6 connectors at both
    ends. What this means is that the Magura braided line connects to
    different holes in the slave cylinders than the plastic line. You
    cannot use a plastic main hose and a Magura braided crossover hose
    together because there is only one M8 hole on the slave cylinders and
    both the main line and the crossover line will have an M8 fitting. The
    PDF document should make this somewhat clear if you look carefully at
    the picture of the rim brake.

    However, you can use an aftermarket braided line and get M6 fittings put
    on both ends of the crossover line. You'll just not be using original
    Magura branded parts.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  5. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Oh, and if you want to get the Magura braided line give 'Trialsin USA'
    (http://www.trialsin.com/) a call. He's got a supply of all Magura
    small parts and will be able to sell you the parts and extra hose
    necessary for you to make your own longer crossover to fit over the 3"
    Gazz. He's got good prices too. The Magura braided line ain't cheap,
    especially once you factor in the extra cost for the fittings and hose
    to make your own longer crossover.

    Darren Bedford may also be another source for the Magura braided line
    kit. I think he's carrying it now.

    'Speedgoat' (http://www.speedgoat.com/) would be another likely source.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  6. the Goodridge housing has a nice plasticy coating on the outside.i think
    this is nicer that the bare medal Magura line.if i ever have to buy new
    braidind line,i think i would go with the Goodridge.

    --
    forget_your_life - #3649 plus_your_life

    [image:
    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/bunnyjumping.gif]
    dream one dream many....
    *'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
    forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

  7. zod

    zod Guest

    Thanks for the info John, I work at a bike shop so I'll do all my
    purchases there.....the beauty of the employee discount! ;)

    I agree with you Jagur, I think Goodridge cabling appears superior to
    Magura's. Here is what I think I will do. I'm gonna order the Goodridge
    Carbon *REAR* Hose Kit which is 1650mm's, the front brake kit is only
    900mm's and only about $2 cheaper. Might as well spend a few bucks for
    the extra spare length. The kit will come with two M6's so then all I
    have to do is buy an extra M6 and M8 and I can make my own cross-over
    out of the Goodridge tubing! AND I'll have plenty of leftover cable for
    those unforseen emergencies.

    --
    zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
    zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

  8. zod

    zod Guest

  9. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    zod wrote:
    > *Thanks for the info John, I work at a bike shop so I'll do all my
    > purchases there.....the beauty of the employee discount! ;)
    > *

    Cool, looks like you're set.

    One other weird thing about the Magura braided hose is that one end of
    each hose (the main hose and the crossover) has a factory installed
    fitting that does not look like it's removable. The other end of each
    hose is bare and ready to be cut and then fitted with a user installable
    fitting that should be removable if you later want to shorten the
    hose.

    I actually have a Magura braided hose kit with an extra length of hose
    that will be used for the crossover. I got the Magura hose from
    Trialsin USA and I was planning on using it on my Coker. But the brake
    I got for my Coker from Ben already had a braided crossover so I didn't
    end up using the Magura braided line. Right now it's sitting in my
    parts box. I'll find a use for it soon enough.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  10. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    zod wrote:
    > *Hmm, I just noticed that the Goodridge hose comes with two M8's and
    > that would not be correct according to what you are saying John?? *

    That should be OK for the main line. The brake lever has an M8 and one
    of the slave cylinders has an M8. Then your crossover would need to
    have two M6's.

    You'll need to double check that the lever does indeed take an M8. I
    looked at mine and it does look like it's an M8, but I'm not taking it
    apart to verify.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  11. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    forget_your_life wrote:
    > *the Goodridge housing has a nice plasticy coating on the outside.i
    > think this is nicer that the bare medal Magura line.if i ever have to
    > buy new braided line,i think i would go with the Goodridge. *

    My aftermarket brake hose has a clear plastic coating. It's nice in
    that it keeps the brake hose from scratching up the paint on the frame.
    It's not so nice in that it shows visible creases when it gets bent too
    much. It doesn't kink, but it does show a crease.

    The genuine Magura braided hose is more flexible and won't show any kink
    marks.

    I posted a picture of my brake in my Miscellaneous Stuff gallery.
    'Aftermarket Magura Brake Hose picture' (http://tinyurl.com/ywr94)
    The photo also shows the fittings that were used. The fittings on the
    crossover line are rather large.