Anybody (guys) here close to these measurements?

Scott'sTrek1000

Jul 28, 2004
Me:
5'7"
Longer torso (for my height)
174 lbs
Short arms
29.5" inseam (short legs)
Solidly built (heavy torso, not skinny legs)

Have a 50cm Trek and need help getting more comfortable on it.

If you ARE close to my measurements, what size frame do you have and/or what aftermarket parts (if any) have made your fit better?

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Me:
5'7"
Longer torso (for my height)
174 lbs
Short arms
29.5" inseam (short legs)
Solidly built (heavy torso, not skinny legs)

Have a 50cm Trek and need help getting more comfortable on it.

If you ARE close to my measurements, what size frame do you have and/or what aftermarket parts (if any) have made your fit better?

Scott: You've started about 5 threads on this same subject now, but I can't tell if you're reading any of the advice we've written. I wrote about some simple checks you need to make in another thread....did you do these?

Scott'sTrek1000 said:

I have no idea why I'm buying into making a "threads started" champion, but:

5'8"
187 lbs and dropping (will settle in at ~165)
Pants inseam: 30"
Long torso, short arms, short legs, broad shoulders (compared to statistical averages)

Frame:
ST 51 cm c-to-c
TT 55 cm c-to-c
ST angle 74.5
seat height (c-to-top) 693 mm
head tube 140mm

the rest:
Stem 100mm
bars 44cm
crank 170 mm

I don't what your TT length or stem length is because you don't list it. I have no intention of riffling through your multiple calls for help to find out. My best guess given the sparse data provided is that your TT /stem are too short for a long torso (which is relative for short guys like us.) Or that to get to a good length, the stem is too long affecting handling. But it would help if, in one place and not across multiple similarly themed threads, you would concisely state the problem.

In case you can't figure it out from the above, my body dimensions call for a custom frame. It's possilbe that some stock frames could be tweaked to "work", but that's a hit and miss proposition. At 56 and having suffered from arthritis for 20 years, comfort was paramount. So custom it became.

Before you frustrate us to the point that we collectively take out a contract on you, please find a professional to give you an accurate fitting. Don't settle for a few static measurements and a calculator, but get fitted in a dynamic system like the Serotta cycle or Bikefitting .com. They'll fit you to the way you ride.

Most shops worth their salt who have this capability will include the fit in a frame/bike purchase. Otherwise you may have to pay. If your concern matches the energy you put into starting threads, paying shouldn't be a roadblock. Hell, maybe there's a Trek dealer in your area who can do this and will help you in hopes you'll return to the brand for your next purchase.

All the rest of us here can do is guess and get frustrated with your many cries for help, Chicken Little. Of course, I am coming to think that you just like seeing your name under the thread title and are severely handicapped creatively so you have to make all the threads you start essentially the same. Time to learn a few new notes, methinks.

dhk & Tridodelover: 2 words....screw you. if you don't like seeing my multiple posts, it's real simple....don't click on them. i'm trying to get legitimate answers from people that may be in the same situation (or have been in the past) as i. if you read my response, you'll see that i AM reading all of the posts and that i am very grateful for the suggestions. with posting multiple threads (all with the same basic question) i am simply trying to get the attention of those that may be of some help, not 2 grouchy ass's like yourselves. if you don't like it, don't read it. very simple. and don't attack me for trying to get some help/answers. actually, don't attack me at all unless you want some back.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
dhk & Tridodelover: 2 words....screw you. if you don't like seeing my multiple posts, it's real simple....don't click on them. i'm trying to get legitimate answers from people that may be in the same situation (or have been in the past) as i. if you read my response, you'll see that i AM reading all of the posts and that i am very grateful for the suggestions. with posting multiple threads (all with the same basic question) i am simply trying to get the attention of those that may be of some help, not 2 grouchy ass's like yourselves. if you don't like it, don't read it. very simple. and don't attack me for trying to get some help/answers. actually, don't attack me at all unless you want some back.

OK, if you read my advice and did the fit checks I mentioned, what were the results? I spent a lot of time making a helpful suggestion to one of your questions, only to see the same question over and over.

If you didn't like my recommendation, would appreciate you telling me why it didn't help you. "Screw you" isn't the response I was looking for, and violates the rules of this forum besides.

And don't worry, I won't waste my time on your question again.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
You know.. this is a little uncalled for. I've answered your questions (to the best of my ability) at least once myself. I know DHK has responded to I believe 3 of your multiple threads on the same subject.

Scott...here's what's happening. People are trying to give you good information, but you're not really responding as to whether you've found any answers or not. So someone suggests something.. and the next thing THEY see is ANOTHER thread asking the same question. I suspect they feel, rightfully so, that you're not paying any attention to the assistance to begin with (which is why you were asked the question I'm sure). Frankly, I'm surprised that dhk tried to help as many times as he did.... I stopped after the first time.

If you're looking for more diverse information, then keep the thread going, you might find that others will chime in once it gets going good. Most, however, when seeing the same question multiple times.. will tend to just skip over it. In case you haven't noticed.. not that many DIFFERENT people are responding. Why do you think that may be?

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, but I think there's a better way to accomplish what you're trying to do.

take it or leave it, we all have to make our own choices.

Sincerely,

John

Scott'sTrek1000 said:

If you bothered to read all my post, you'll see I provided all the information you requested and made suggestions for remedies. (You think maybe this is why we get the feeling that you aren't reading our responses?) The rest of my opinions are...well, my opinions and I'm entitled to them. And it seems I'm not the only one.

This forum is a valuable resource. Not because I post here, but because many, many people with more experience and knowledge than me post here. They've even been kind enough to point out how you might be wearing out you're welcome and what you might do to corral that while still rather patiently trying to provide answers.

You're breaking several rules of 'Net etiquette. "Screw you" is a response from an immature individual with a poor upbringing. The count is 0-2 and you're about to take a third strike looking.

If you want some advice - and you clearly don't - you'll stop posting new threads with the same questions, distill all the info from the various threads you've inititated, try out the suggestions and then and only then report back with your results. Until then, silence would surely be golden.

Maybe it's the two of you (now 3) that need to read the replys. Here are my responses to advice given:
1. "Thanks for the replys. It's looking like mine may not be too small for me afterall. You guys are a bunch of help."
2. "Thanks. I've been tweeking my seat height and setback a bit and it's getting more comfortable. I also recently purchased some look pedals and am still trying to get used to the feel versus the old. I DID realize that I had the mount too far back on my shoes so I adjusted them up (to use more toe) and it feels better. It's amazing how much a little adjusting here and there can affect it. Thanks a bunch for all of the replys. I look forward to more. By the way, HOW CAN A LONGER STEM HELP? IF IT'S LONGER, DOESN'T THIS MEAN THAT IT WILL PROTRUDE FURTHER OUT TOWARDS THE FRONT TIRE, THEREFORE MAKING IT MORE OF A REACH FOR ME?"
3. "Oh, I'm reading alright. RELIGIOUSLY. I have been tweeking my seat height, setback and bar angle a bit. I'm getting closer to it feeling better. I also had just purchased some look pedals and realized I had them mounted to far towards the ball of my foot. I adjusted them so I'm using my toes more (guess I'm a toe rider) and it feels better. I think I'm gonna get it right (or closer to than it is now). Thanks for the feedback. You guys are awesome."

You 3 take it personal, like I'm not taking your advice and act like you're being slighted. Get over it. Until I hear from a rep. of this message board, I will pay no attention to rants. The fact is (as proven above) is that I have read each and every reply to my posts, used the info to the best of my ability, and have acknowledged that I am grateful. And to say that my response is from my being immature and having had a poor upbringing? Are you kidding me? If you have kids, I sure feel sorry for them for having a drill sergeant for a father. You act like I am sending you personal messages, asking the same questions. I didn't ask for you to respond. You chose to respond. If you are sick of seeing my posts, quit reading them.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Maybe it's the two of you (now 3) that need to read the replys. Here are my responses to advice given:
1. "Thanks for the replys. It's looking like mine may not be too small for me afterall. You guys are a bunch of help."
2. "Thanks. I've been tweeking my seat height and setback a bit and it's getting more comfortable. I also recently purchased some look pedals and am still trying to get used to the feel versus the old. I DID realize that I had the mount too far back on my shoes so I adjusted them up (to use more toe) and it feels better. It's amazing how much a little adjusting here and there can affect it. Thanks a bunch for all of the replys. I look forward to more. By the way, HOW CAN A LONGER STEM HELP? IF IT'S LONGER, DOESN'T THIS MEAN THAT IT WILL PROTRUDE FURTHER OUT TOWARDS THE FRONT TIRE, THEREFORE MAKING IT MORE OF A REACH FOR ME?"
3. "Oh, I'm reading alright. RELIGIOUSLY. I have been tweeking my seat height, setback and bar angle a bit. I'm getting closer to it feeling better. I also had just purchased some look pedals and realized I had them mounted to far towards the ball of my foot. I adjusted them so I'm using my toes more (guess I'm a toe rider) and it feels better. I think I'm gonna get it right (or closer to than it is now). Thanks for the feedback. You guys are awesome."

You 3 take it personal, like I'm not taking your advice and act like you're being slighted. Get over it. Until I hear from a rep. of this message board, I will pay no attention to rants. The fact is (as proven above) is that I have read each and every reply to my posts, used the info to the best of my ability, and have acknowledged that I am grateful. And to say that my response is from my being immature and having had a poor upbringing? Are you kidding me? If you have kids, I sure feel sorry for them for having a drill sergeant for a father. You act like I am sending you personal messages, asking the same questions. I didn't ask for you to respond. You chose to respond. If you are sick of seeing my posts, quit reading them.
How about taking your bike to a LBS and have them help you out?