Anybody have a Lighman strobe?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by gooserider, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. gooserider

    gooserider Guest

    I have heard good things about the Lightman strobe, and I'm considering
    getting one. The pics I've seen make the mounting arrangement unclear. I
    cannot mount it on my seatpost, because I use a rack trunk which obscures
    same. I currently mount a blinkie on my trunk's blinkie loop. Can the
    Lightman be mounted the same way?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. mort

    mort Guest

    I had two. One died immediately, the other has been going strong for 2
    years. It comes with a variety of mounting devices including a a clip
    that will work in the blinkie loop (at least mine did). It is
    incredibly bright - I use it with the white shade on the front of my
    recumbent (mine came with white and orange shades). I use rechargable
    AAs and get about 1.5 hourse out of a charge. Aside from the 50%
    failure rate, its good, but for the rear I would also look at LEDs
    which are quite bright and should run longer per charge.

    Mort

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    gooserider wrote:

    > I have heard good things about the Lightman strobe, and I'm considering
    > getting one. The pics I've seen make the mounting arrangement unclear. I
    > cannot mount it on my seatpost, because I use a rack trunk which obscures
    > same. I currently mount a blinkie on my trunk's blinkie loop. Can the
    > Lightman be mounted the same way?
    >
    > Mike

    The newer ones (as of about a year ago) are not as bright as the old ones
    (say 3 years ago). The mounting kits seem to be variable, one having something
    you could strap to a seat stay.

    It's not bright enough in either case to notice in clear daylight. It's fine
    in dark / cloudy conditions.

    In all cases, the ``bolt'' is plastic and breaks immediately; and worse, it's
    deliberate because the ``threads'' are also plastic and they want the bolt to
    break first. You really have to tighten it to barely-tight-enough, which is not
    very satisfying. (You can replace the bolt at the hardware store, but you then
    have the threads problem.)

    I use a single strobe between two solid-on LED taillights, the taillights serving to
    localize the strobe and send a message what kind of thing it is up ahead.

    There's as much importance to being intuitively recognizeable as what you are, as to
    being noticed, which might just lead as quickly to being ignored like a motel sign.
    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  4. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    "gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have heard good things about the Lightman strobe, and I'm considering
    >getting one. The pics I've seen make the mounting arrangement unclear. I
    >cannot mount it on my seatpost, because I use a rack trunk which obscures
    >same. I currently mount a blinkie on my trunk's blinkie loop. Can the
    >Lightman be mounted the same way?

    I don't love mine, but I like it. While I probably need to
    (immediately) start using rechargeable batteries with high capacity, I
    find that it a) goes through batteries quickly (another post said
    1.5hrs. I'd buy that), and b) the flash rate deteriorates quickly
    over the latter part of that time ... leading ... at least me ... to
    look back periodically, wondering if it's dead.

    My other bike has a Cateye LED. It's a no-brainer. Bright,
    consistent, multiple blink pattern options, and great battery life.

    YMMV.
    --
    Live simply so that others may simply live

  5. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    Neil Brooks wrote:

    > I don't love mine, but I like it.

    Ditto for me. After trying various mounting options I finally settled
    on zip ties through a bracket mount that's so that it's facing rearward
    from my messenger bag.

    My Lightman Strobe has been reliable. It chews up the batteries pretty
    quickly. I use the amber lens to emulate a construction zone or snow
    plow.

    RFM
    http://www.cyclelicio.us/

  6. SMS

    SMS Guest

    gooserider wrote:
    > I have heard good things about the Lightman strobe, and I'm considering
    > getting one. The pics I've seen make the mounting arrangement unclear. I
    > cannot mount it on my seatpost, because I use a rack trunk which obscures
    > same. I currently mount a blinkie on my trunk's blinkie loop. Can the
    > Lightman be mounted the same way?

    If you have a 12V system, you can use one of the Velleman strobes, see
    "http://nordicgroup.us/s78/taillights.html" where I have pictures of it
    mounted on my rear rack.