Anybody heard from Iban Mayo

barnstorm

Mar 1, 2005
From Cyclingnews....

Mayo returns to racing in Murcia

Euskaltel-Euskadi's Iban Mayo will return to racing tomorrow when he lines up for the first stage of the Vuelta a Murcia (March 1-5), according to Europa Press. The team hopes to improve its early-season campaign which has already seen it take the team classification at the Vuelta a la Comunidad Valenciana and Iñaki Flores take overall fourth place in the Vuelta Andalucía.

Mayo will be joined in Murcia by Antton Luengo, Beñat Albizuri, Unai Uribarri, Rubén Pérez, Joseba Zubeldia, Igor Antón and Aketza Peña.

The five-stage Vuelta a Murcia is expected to be taxing, with two stages that should be crucial to the overall result. Stage 3's 21.3km time trial in Jumilla will be an essential test for any rider with general classification aspirations, and the following day's 148.6 trip from Caravaca de la Cruz to Collado Bermejo includes three category one climbs and finishes at 1150m.

Mayo and Euskaltel won't have things their own way. Murcia will also be an early-season outing for several other noted talents, including Discovery Channel's Manuel Beltran; Caissed'Epargne's Alejandro Valverde; Lampre-Fondital's Damiano Cunego; Liberty Seguros' Alexandre Vinokourov; and Rabobank's Denis Menchov and Michael Rasmussen.

From Barnstorm...

I am not sure whether we should care or not. Mayo seems to have peaked at the 2004 Dauphine and then disappeared in a frenzy of excuses for pathetic performances. I have read the theory here that his team was warned about doping, he cleaned up, and he sucks as a clean rider. Interesting theory. I have also heard the theory that he is a prima donna and really soft. Something doesn't go his way, he throws a hissy fit and quits. I can see that too. It's just sad after all of the hype and the few really amazing performances he showed us in 2003 and early 2004. Will we see him as a competitive rider again?????

barnstorm said:
From Cyclingnews....

Mayo returns to racing in Murcia

Euskaltel-Euskadi's Iban Mayo will return to racing tomorrow when he lines up for the first stage of the Vuelta a Murcia (March 1-5), according to Europa Press. The team hopes to improve its early-season campaign which has already seen it take the team classification at the Vuelta a la Comunidad Valenciana and Iñaki Flores take overall fourth place in the Vuelta Andalucía.

Mayo will be joined in Murcia by Antton Luengo, Beñat Albizuri, Unai Uribarri, Rubén Pérez, Joseba Zubeldia, Igor Antón and Aketza Peña.

The five-stage Vuelta a Murcia is expected to be taxing, with two stages that should be crucial to the overall result. Stage 3's 21.3km time trial in Jumilla will be an essential test for any rider with general classification aspirations, and the following day's 148.6 trip from Caravaca de la Cruz to Collado Bermejo includes three category one climbs and finishes at 1150m.

Mayo and Euskaltel won't have things their own way. Murcia will also be an early-season outing for several other noted talents, including Discovery Channel's Manuel Beltran; Caissed'Epargne's Alejandro Valverde; Lampre-Fondital's Damiano Cunego; Liberty Seguros' Alexandre Vinokourov; and Rabobank's Denis Menchov and Michael Rasmussen.

From Barnstorm...

I am not sure whether we should care or not. Mayo seems to have peaked at the 2004 Dauphine and then disappeared in a frenzy of excuses for pathetic performances. I have read the theory here that his team was warned about doping, he cleaned up, and he sucks as a clean rider. Interesting theory. I have also heard the theory that he is a prima donna and really soft. Something doesn't go his way, he throws a hissy fit and quits. I can see that too. It's just sad after all of the hype and the few really amazing performances he showed us in 2003 and early 2004. Will we see him as a competitive rider again?????

I hear he and Tyler may start a team together.

bobke said:
I hear he and Tyler may start a team together.
nice informative post with sound data to back up your arguments.

Is the doping thing the going theory? or is it the sissy boy theory?

barnstorm said:
I have also heard the theory that he is a prima donna and really soft. Something doesn't go his way, he throws a hissy fit and quits.
If this is the case, he has really chosen the wrong sport. Maybe soccer would be more fitting.

jonjungel said:
If this is the case, he has really chosen the wrong sport. Maybe soccer would be more fitting.

Or world championship wrestling.

barnstorm said:
I have read the theory here that his team was warned about doping, he cleaned up, and he sucks as a clean rider. Interesting theory.
It's not just a theory, in fact two teams where warned in 2004: Euskatel and ..... Phonak. I have this from inside the UCI.

cyclingheroes said:
It's not just a theory, in fact two teams where warned in 2004: Euskatel and ..... Phonak. I have this from inside the UCI.
Right, you and Dr. Zamboni is your inside source.
Everyone and their mother have heard about Euskatel getting warned and their doctor being in disrepute. No news there at all.

bobke said:
Right, you and Dr. Zamboni is your inside source.
Everyone and their mother have heard about Euskatel getting warned and their doctor being in disrepute. No news there at all.
Yeah like everybody heard about Phonak and Tyler.

Anyway, the first stage of Vuelta a Murcia ended in a bunch sprint, so no indecations of form there.

Does anybody know where I can find some coverage of this race? Like e.g. stage profiles.

For some reason cyclingnews.com is almost ignoring it. I know it's 2.1 and not 2.HC, but so is Tour of California. Many GT favourites are starting their season in VaM, and in my opinion this deserves attention.

jonjungel said:
Thanks a bunch, lucybears... :)
Stage 2:

44º 41 MAYO, Iban ESP EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI a 06:22

(Valverde won, Vinokourov had more than 10 minutes...- alomst 4 minutes behind Mayo)

cyclingheroes said:
Stage 2:

44º 41 MAYO, Iban ESP EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI a 06:22

(Valverde won, Vinokourov had more than 10 minutes...- alomst 4 minutes behind Mayo)
Looking at the results, I see that, apart from Valverde, the best of the GT favourites were Cunego at 1.04.

I guess the other big guns weren't going full throttle, but OTOH they probably would have hung on to Valverde's wheel if they could.

jonjungel said:
Looking at the results, I see that, apart from Valverde, the best of the GT favourites were Cunego at 1.04.

I guess the other big guns weren't going full throttle, but OTOH they probably would have hung on to Valverde's wheel if they could.

I hear Mayo is gonna buy a dog.
Call him remolcador. Cute.

bobke said:
Mayo is sooooo over.
Wonder what he was on in 2003 2004.

I don't think my jaw ever dropped farther in my life than watching Mayo lug it up Ax-3-Domaines with the grupetto in last year's Tour. The Basque fans hanging around us literally seemed depressed, but they had Mancebo to cheer. Indurain didn't crack this much when he lost it in 1996.

Mark