Anybody heard of British Eagle Boss?

Paul Begley

Guest
Hi experts,

Just wondering if anybody has heard of the above bike, British Eagle
Boss. A local cycle shop is selling one for £350. This is advertised as
half price, original price £700, therefore to me, if genuine, a bargain.
The Frame is yellow and consists of 24 speed chain set (don't know the exact
spec) The forks are normal i.e non suspension. In case you haven't
guessed, I am not a bike expert, its merely a means of transport to and from
work, over a variety of terrains.

I have searched the web but cant find any recent references to it, only news
posts from about 1998, which is a bit worrying as this shop is selling it as
a new, current model..

Any help/comments would be welcome

Cheers
Paul

Paul Begley wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> Just wondering if anybody has heard of the above bike, British
> Eagle Boss. A local cycle shop is selling one for £350. This is
> advertised as half price, original price £700, therefore to me, if
> genuine, a bargain. The Frame is yellow and consists of 24 speed
> chain set (don't know the exact spec) The forks are normal i.e non
> suspension. In case you haven't guessed, I am not a bike expert, its
> merely a means of transport to and from work, over a variety of
> terrains.
>
> I have searched the web but cant find any recent references to it,
> only news posts from about 1998, which is a bit worrying as this shop
> is selling it as a new, current model..
>

> Any help/comments would be welcome
>
> Cheers
> Paul

Paul, it looks as though the shop are being a little misleading to be
honest. A quick investigation on google seems to list this bike with a Deore
DX groupset, which was discontinued as a group in 1994. The only thing that
doesn't fit is the 24 speeds; as far as i know DX was only ever 21. I'd
guess that someone has fittted out a new-old-stock frame from the early
nineties with some more recent components, and is selling it as current.
What kind of brakes did it have? V-brake type or older cantilevers? I would
certainly advice against the purchase though, it all sounds a bit dodgy, and
£350 will get you plenty of choices elsewhere.

HTH

Mark

"Paul Begley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi experts,
>
> Just wondering if anybody has heard of the above bike, British

Eagle
> Boss. A local cycle shop is selling one for £350. This is advertised as
> half price, original price £700, therefore to me, if genuine, a bargain.
> The Frame is yellow and consists of 24 speed chain set (don't know the

exact
> spec) The forks are normal i.e non suspension. In case you haven't
> guessed, I am not a bike expert, its merely a means of transport to and

from
> work, over a variety of terrains.
>
> I have searched the web but cant find any recent references to it, only

news
> posts from about 1998, which is a bit worrying as this shop is selling it

as
> a new, current model..
>

> Any help/comments would be welcome
>
> Cheers
> Paul

I remember them, does it have BOSS in huge letters on the down tube? I think
basically they threw a Shimano XTR (top end) groupset on the cheapest
frame/forks/parts they could get away with in the hope punters wouldn't look
past the XTR bits. I haven't heard of them in recent years so I suspect it
is an older model although could be wrong. You really need someone who knows
about bikes to go and look at it, and by 'knows about bikes' I mean can see
past any window dressing with XTR bits.

Steve.

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:44:40 +0000, spademan o---[) * wrote:

> I remember them, does it have BOSS in huge letters on the down tube? I think
> basically they threw a Shimano XTR (top end) groupset on the cheapest
> frame/forks/parts they could get away with in the hope punters wouldn't look
> past the XTR bits. I haven't heard of them in recent years so I suspect it
> is an older model although could be wrong.

Sounds about right. Not exactly sure how far back they go, but it must be
well over five years. When considering purchasing, consider the words '10
foot' and 'barge pole'.

"spademan o---[) *"
<[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "Paul Begley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi experts,
> >
> > Just wondering if anybody has heard of the above bike, British

> Eagle
> > Boss. A local cycle shop is selling one for £350. This is advertised

as
> > half price, original price £700, therefore to me, if genuine, a bargain.
> > The Frame is yellow and consists of 24 speed chain set (don't know the

> exact
> > spec) The forks are normal i.e non suspension. In case you haven't
> > guessed, I am not a bike expert, its merely a means of transport to and

> from
> > work, over a variety of terrains.
> >
> > I have searched the web but cant find any recent references to it, only

> news
> > posts from about 1998, which is a bit worrying as this shop is selling

it
> as
> > a new, current model..
> >

> > Any help/comments would be welcome
> >
> > Cheers
> > Paul
> >

> I remember them, does it have BOSS in huge letters on the down tube? I

think
> basically they threw a Shimano XTR (top end) groupset on the cheapest
> frame/forks/parts they could get away with in the hope punters wouldn't

look
> past the XTR bits. I haven't heard of them in recent years so I suspect it
> is an older model although could be wrong. You really need someone who

knows
> about bikes to go and look at it, and by 'knows about bikes' I mean can

see
> past any window dressing with XTR bits.
>
> Steve.

The sounds like the fella!! Yellow Ali 7005 frame with Big Black lettering,
STXRC groupset (well thats what i was told it was, is this the same as XTR?)
.. How much would this groupset cost if bought separately?

The bike itself, looks nice, rides well and is incredibly light, well
lighter that my Giant Disc. but when riding, it very very light, could this
just be due to the lack of suspension? On that note is suspension any good
anyway? I have read that some people would say that you need to spend that
sort of money on a decent set of forks.

My main gripe, is the way its advertised, Label showing original price £700
, but indicating a sale price of £350. The shop now state that they haven't
sold the bike at that "original" price for over year (possible longer). I
am sure that there is something in the "Sale of Goods Act" that states a
sale price must have been on sale at that price within a certain amount of
time, for a certain amount of time. Anybody know? (wrong group I know, I
may try a uk legal group)

Anyway, thanks for all your replies.

Paul

"Paul Begley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "spademan o---[) *"
> <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Paul Begley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi experts,
> > >
> > > Just wondering if anybody has heard of the above bike, British

> > Eagle
> > > Boss. A local cycle shop is selling one for £350. This is

advertised
> as
> > > half price, original price £700, therefore to me, if genuine, a

bargain.
> > > The Frame is yellow and consists of 24 speed chain set (don't know the

> > exact
> > > spec) The forks are normal i.e non suspension. In case you haven't
> > > guessed, I am not a bike expert, its merely a means of transport to

and
> > from
> > > work, over a variety of terrains.
> > >
> > > I have searched the web but cant find any recent references to it,

only
> > news
> > > posts from about 1998, which is a bit worrying as this shop is selling

> it
> > as
> > > a new, current model..
> > >

> > > Any help/comments would be welcome
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Paul
> > >

> > I remember them, does it have BOSS in huge letters on the down tube? I

> think
> > basically they threw a Shimano XTR (top end) groupset on the cheapest
> > frame/forks/parts they could get away with in the hope punters wouldn't

> look
> > past the XTR bits. I haven't heard of them in recent years so I suspect

it
> > is an older model although could be wrong. You really need someone who

> knows
> > about bikes to go and look at it, and by 'knows about bikes' I mean can

> see
> > past any window dressing with XTR bits.
> >
> > Steve.
> >

> The sounds like the fella!! Yellow Ali 7005 frame with Big Black

lettering,
> STXRC groupset (well thats what i was told it was, is this the same as

XTR?)

Nope afraid not, its a middle range MTB groupset and definitely not buying a
**** bike for. Stay away.

Steve.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:09:07 +0000, Paul Begley wrote:

> The sounds like the fella!! Yellow Ali 7005 frame with Big Black lettering,
> STXRC groupset (well thats what i was told it was, is this the same as XTR?)

Nope. As Spademan said, it /was/ mid-range. It hasn't been produced for
years, so gives you (us) some idea of the age of the bike.

> . How much would this groupset cost if bought separately?

Now? FA.

> The bike itself, looks nice, rides well and is incredibly light, well
> lighter that my Giant Disc. but when riding, it very very light, could this
> just be due to the lack of suspension?

Almost certainly.

> On that note is suspension any good anyway? I have read that some
> people would say that you need to spend that sort of money on a decent
> set of forks.

And then some. I'd recommend staying away from suspension at that price
level, but it's difficult to do. Hardly any new bikes come without
suspension these days.

> My main gripe, is the way its advertised, Label showing original price
> £700 , but indicating a sale price of £350. The shop now state that
> they haven't sold the bike at that "original" price for over year
> (possible longer). I am sure that there is something in the "Sale of
> Goods Act" that states a sale price must have been on sale at that price
> within a certain amount of time, for a certain amount of time. Anybody
> know? (wrong group I know, I may try a uk legal group)

I'm no legal expert, but I think the rule is that it had to have been on
sale at the old price for a minimum of 28 days. As far as I know, there's
nothing stipulating that the seller must tell you how long the product has
been in the store or how long it's been advertised at its current
sale price.

Paul Begley says...

> The sounds like the fella!! Yellow Ali 7005 frame with Big Black lettering,
> STXRC groupset (well thats what i was told it was, is this the same as XTR?)
> . How much would this groupset cost if bought separately?
>
> The bike itself, looks nice, rides well and is incredibly light, well
> lighter that my Giant Disc. but when riding, it very very light, could this
> just be due to the lack of suspension? On that note is suspension any good
> anyway? I have read that some people would say that you need to spend that
> sort of money on a decent set of forks.
>
> My main gripe, is the way its advertised, Label showing original price £700
> , but indicating a sale price of £350. The shop now state that they haven't
> sold the bike at that "original" price for over year (possible longer). I
> am sure that there is something in the "Sale of Goods Act" that states a
> sale price must have been on sale at that price within a certain amount of
> time, for a certain amount of time. Anybody know? (wrong group I know, I
> may try a uk legal group)
>

> Anyway, thanks for all your replies.
>
> Paul

I paid $400 US for my GT Tequesta back in '98. It had full STX RC, which
is now more or less equivalent to Deore. GT was still a reasonably good
name back then. The bike you are looking at was probably worth about £350
six years ago, considering you Brits pay more for everything. Now maybe
£150 if it is still new, and that is being generous.