Anybody here participate in other sports?

dwasson

Oct 1, 2005
I just recently started road cycling for recreation and was wondering if anybody else participates heavily in other sports.

I'm currently training for bodybuilding - which often seems to have polar opposite goals than cycling - and it's quite an experience changing my diet and "carbing up" for my weekend rides. Some of the training has helped in some aspects (I can sprint for short distances pretty well due to the strong legs) but my endurance is less than optimal and I don't feel very aerodynamic. Great experience though.

Anybody else?

jogging, long distance hiking & alpine climbing, in order of time spent. used to call myself a rock climber, but these days only hit the rock 2, 3 or maybe 4 times a year if i'm lucky. never been into any team sports or training for anything in particular. if you've got upper body strength, you might enjoy rock climbing

dwasson said:
I just recently started road cycling for recreation and was wondering if anybody else participates heavily in other sports.

I'm currently training for bodybuilding - which often seems to have polar opposite goals than cycling - and it's quite an experience changing my diet and "carbing up" for my weekend rides. Some of the training has helped in some aspects (I can sprint for short distances pretty well due to the strong legs) but my endurance is less than optimal and I don't feel very aerodynamic. Great experience though.

Anybody else?
Scottish highland games. I am the fringe sport guy.

I bodybuild too. Could explain why I never have dealings with ride drivers! Yeah, I'm slower on climbs and less aero but I cycle because I love it and hate doing cardio in a gym!
Played tennis yesterday and had a blast! I was on my high school and college teams but haven't picked up a racquet in 20 years.

lumpy said:
I bodybuild too. Could explain why I never have dealings with ride drivers! Yeah, I'm slower on climbs and less aero but I cycle because I love it and hate doing cardio in a gym!
Played tennis yesterday and had a blast! I was on my high school and college teams but haven't picked up a racquet in 20 years.
Rugby,once a month.

My roots are in running marathons...then cycling...them combining both. Now I am an Ironman Wannabe!:)

Racquetball, weightlifting, Ultimate, Disc Golf when I have the time, play volleyball when friends want to.

Triathlons, coach and play soccer, play hockey and just about any other sport when I get the chance. I'm thinking of looking up the local cricket club just to give it a try.

Rugby (occasionally), and jogging/running (slightly less occasionally).

I play Touch Rugby several times a week and regularly mix up longer runs, agility, sprint and interval training. I cycle to work and back and do some rides as part of keeping fit overall (easier on the joints than running all the time).

dwasson said:
I'm into Bouldering (a form of rock climbing) & Snowboarding.

philso said:
trad myself. try not to let age catch up with you ;)
Martial arts, which is another one with goals very different from those of cycling. The stretching, core work and upper-body work fills in the weak spots in a cycling regimen.

I thought of trying cricket, but I can't pay attention to the same game for a week, and I don't like tea.

Surfing, Windurfing and Scuba diving....I don't have much time for anything else!!