Anybody live in NYC or surrounding area?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott'sTrek1000, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Scott'sTrek1000

Scott'sTrek1000 New Member

I will be in NYC next weekend and am looking for a bike shop to go to. I am from New Mexico so am limited in what different brands I've see and am excited to see what else is out there. Thanks for any help.

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

Conrad's and Renaissance.

3. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

Check racycles out. http://www.racycles.com/

105 5th Avenue
    Brooklyn, NY 11217

4. RBS

RBS New Member

welcome to the big apple

lots riders here! try toga bike shop, 62nd and west end ave., lot of specialized and cervelo stuff. metro cycles (various locaations around city) has bontrager and lemond. i like toga. renaissance bikes is on 80th and columbus on the upper west side right by the museum of natural history. they have a lot of high end stufff.

bob

5. jedblack

jedblack New Member

yes.... the place to go to is RAcycles in Brooklyn

they have the most extensive array of frames,parts,built bikes ..etc..etc..

and there good, the only shop in NYC that would cold-set my steel colnago frame. And its SPOT ON!! down to the micro-meter

6. gbriere

gbriere New Member

Here's a good listing for bike shops....

http://www.nyvelocity.com/content.php?id=87

there are many more bike shops than listed in the link above, but the major ones are covered

if your into all things fixie - definitely give this shop a stop....

http://www.trackstarnyc.com/

and two more - just in case you want to try to get in a ride or two and want more than just central park or the greenway on the west side...

one for the routes -

http://www.nycc.org/

and one for the rental (if you need it) -

http://togabikes.com/site/intro.cfm

enjoy the city... it's a great place to ride....

greg b

7. Scott'sTrek1000

Thanks for the shop names. Do any of you have experience with "Sid's Bike Shop"? I have emailed them numerous times and they have responded great. They are definately first on my list. Only one other (out of 6) that I emailed, have responded. I think it says a LOT of a bike shop to email some guy from New Mexico, stating that he is going to be in town in a week and wants some info. I sure have my eye on Cannondale now.

8. jedblack

jedblack New Member

yeah... they are good guys there...

i've had them rebuild my bike twice, good mechanics and good service

all around nice shop

this is the one on

34street..right?

9. jmoryl

jmoryl New Member

I live in the area but do most of my own work, so I can't comment on the wrenching aspects. Sid's has some nice looking stuff around their shop (besides the all too common Cannondales and Specialized they have Orbea and I noticed a couple sharp bikes from Independent Fabricators) but the prices are the typical NYC high. Overall I got good vibes from the people working there.

Someone mentioned Toga; they also have a sister shop called Gotham on W. Broadway downtown, if that is more convenient. Doesn't seem like a bad place, either. Others like Bicycle Habitat on Lafayette St. but the prices suck and the staff is too busy being cool. R&A in Brooklyn has more high-end stuff than I've ever seen in one place before (not that I can afford much of what they sell....), worth the quick subway trip, if you have the time.

10. RSSrsvp

RSSrsvp New Member

My vote is for Toga and their sister store Gotham. Toga talked me out of purchasing a more expensive bike even though the money wasn't the issue. They are totally straight shooters. You weren't clear if you were purchasing or renting from your post. If you are purchasing, they carry a huge range of bikes at all price points. Toga has a larger inventory as they are in a larger space. If you are purchasing, ask for John who is the manager at Toga.

11. Scott'sTrek1000

Awesome. I am looking to buy, not rent. I am torn between the c'dale and getting a less common name so i can be different from my buddy's....although the c'dale looks great and is at the top of my list right now. I can't wait to get there.