Anybody out there still riding a triple?

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
I used to ride a bike that had a triple carbon crank a long time ago. Not a bad ride, but really did not end up needing the granny ring....basically, it ended up being extra hardware and weight. Of course, I wound up "downgrading" to a double and have been happy ever since. My question to you roadies out there: "Who still rides a triple and why?" Even my local bike store stopped carrying triples for road bikes. They are all special order. Frankly speaking, I can't see myself actually paying more money for the privilege of riding one. Even found it difficult to sell the thing. Are triple road cranks virtually a thing of the past?

lohsnest said:
I used to ride a bike that had a triple carbon crank a long time ago. Not a bad ride, but really did not end up needing the granny ring....basically, it ended up being extra hardware and weight. Of course, I wound up "downgrading" to a double and have been happy ever since. My question to you roadies out there: "Who still rides a triple and why?" Even my local bike store stopped carrying triples for road bikes. They are all special order. Frankly speaking, I can't see myself actually paying more money for the privilege of riding one. Even found it difficult to sell the thing. Are triple road cranks virtually a thing of the past?

Hardly. My club has some pretty strong riders, and about half ride triples, and most of the rest 50/34 compacts. It's hilly here. I did a 50 mile ride today with about 3000' elevation gain, and actually found myself in all three chainrings at one time or another. There are plenty of triples on bikes at my lbs. I have another bike with a compact crank and like it a lot, but I find myself shifting back and forth from the 50 to the 34. With the triple, I'm in the middle chainring 80% of the time.

I am not implying that people who ride triples are not strong riders. I guess it really depends on where you are. I live in a relatively flat area. The local owner of my LBS are good friends and he has told me that he has seen a drop in demand for triples. All of his cranks are doubles.
bernmart said:
Hardly. My club has some pretty strong riders, and about half ride triples, and most of the rest 50/34 compacts. It's hilly here. I did a 50 mile ride today with about 3000' elevation gain, and actually found myself in all three chainrings at one time or another. There are plenty of triples on bikes at my lbs. I have another bike with a compact crank and like it a lot, but I find myself shifting back and forth from the 50 to the 34. With the triple, I'm in the middle chainring 80% of the time.

lohsnest said:
I have a 110/74 triple - just because the places I like to train have grades of over 20% for a considerable period of time and I'm 175lb. i.e. fat. If I want to get my training done on these roads then I need a gear that I can get over....

If they guy that used to hold the record on Mont Ventoux (before Iban Mayo broke it) needed a 39x28 to race up in a 7 mile stage then I'll live with riding with a 30x27 and going up there 4 times in training. LOL

Jonathon Vaughters and Chris Horner - Solano Classic 2003
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/solano03/stage2/001solano_hornervaughers

This is how some of the woman in the race faired.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/solano03/stage2/003solanostage2_spineteam

... do I see racers walking back there?

Just spent a week riding in Italy on a rental Derosa King with a Record compact setup. Most of the other rentals were Avants with Veloce triples. The typical ride had 800-1000 meters of elevation gain in 80 km, with a few 10% or steeper climbs; didn't hear anyone complaining that their gearing was "too low".

Although I'm used to a triple, found the compact worked just fine. In rolling terrain, it did seem to require a lot more shifting on the RD than my Shimano triple set up, but the Campy thumb lever makes it easy to jump down the cogs in one push.

scirocco said:
Yep. I have the new 105 triple that is 50/39/30. The 9speed 52/42/30 never worked well with me. I use the new 50/39/30 mainly as a double and like the 50/39 but there are times when the 30t comes in handy. Mainly in the Spring when my fitness level is not great. I also live in a very hilly section of Ohio. The new 105 changes gears very well.

No! I too live in a hilly part of Ohio and like to ride in the Appalachian Mountains (for all the folks west of the Mississippi, I know they are only foothills but it says "Mountain" on my Atlas). A triple really makes most of the rides easier and some of them possible.

lohsnest said:
I road doubles for 30 years and upgraded to a fairly high end bike last year with at triple, and have never enjoyed riding so much. Most (yes most) of the road bikes sold around here are triples, including higher end bikes, with compact doubles a close second. Oh, and it's very hilly around here. I use my 30-26 combo a lot, every ride. My ride home has approximately 6 grades over 15%, a couple over 20, and another half dozen between 10 and 15.

I guess your choice of words "Who "still" rides a triple..." sounds kind of condescending to me as if it is something worth getting away from. The truth is that your experience is exactly the opposite of people who live among geography.

By the way, when I was shopping for my bike on ebay last year and the year before, in my opinion (of course!) the good quality triples (Ultegra and above, on good frames, for example) were harder to get at what I considered good prices. I have no idea if that's still the case.

Believe me, it was never meant to sound condescending. I absolutely see a need for triple cranks. I just have never used them...never really had the need to climb. If I were racing Mulholland Pass or climbing Angelest Crest Hwy., I can see a need for the third ring. I've always lived in a relatively flat area....Los Angeles is virtually a flat basin. For me, going back to a double crank was easy.
Camilo said:
I road doubles for 30 years and upgraded to a fairly high end bike last year with at triple, and have never enjoyed riding so much. Most (yes most) of the road bikes sold around here are triples, including higher end bikes, with compact doubles a close second. Oh, and it's very hilly around here. I use my 30-26 combo a lot, every ride. My ride home has approximately 6 grades over 15%, a couple over 20, and another half dozen between 10 and 15.

I guess your choice of words "Who "still" rides a triple..." sounds kind of condescending to me as if it is something worth getting away from. The truth is that your experience is exactly the opposite of people who live among geography.

By the way, when I was shopping for my bike on ebay last year and the year before, in my opinion (of course!) the good quality triples (Ultegra and above, on good frames, for example) were harder to get at what I considered good prices. I have no idea if that's still the case.

bernmart said:
I have a 50/36 and can't go to the 50/34. I've tried them and the 34 is nice on hills but I don't stay in my 50 a lot, so the 34 is too small. The 36 is just right. I am considering a triple for my next bike.

I've just taken my triple crank off my traveling bike (Ritchey Break-Away) as I replaced the group and the new shifters are double. So I have a compact.

BTW I have the FSA Team Issue Carbon Triple Crankset w/BB and a Campy Record 10sp Group (triple FD and RD, Shifters, Calipers) for sale if anyone is interested... PM me.

I went one further on my trainer, removing the inner and outer rings on my triple, and the FD. It works fine on 11-32 x 9, but plays hell with the chain on the extremes.

However, If you've got real hills, and carry heavy loads, why wouldn't you have a triple crankset? That's what gears are for.

One guy I know has made up a quad crankset, somehow increased the range of his FD, and uses it with a 6 cluster to give 24 gears. Yet another way of doing it.

cyclemanx said:
I went one further on my trainer, removing the inner and outer rings on my triple, and the FD. It works fine on 11-32 x 9, but plays hell with the chain on the extremes.

However, If you've got real hills, and carry heavy loads, why wouldn't you have a triple crankset? That's what gears are for.

One guy I know has made up a quad crankset, somehow increased the range of his FD, and uses it with a 6 cluster to give 24 gears. Yet another way of doing it.
I bet he has a lot of overlap in his gearing, probably about eight speed overlapping which would give him a total of 16 useable gears.

I decided to keep the 105 10 triple on my 07 Trek Pilot 2.1 spa. Really needed it when I hit a steep inlcine at 8 mph on the middle ring and large cog. On a racing or workout bike, I'd prefer a compact. On a commuter bike - I'd live with a triple.

lohsnest said:
Are triple road cranks virtually a thing of the past?
All of our road bikes have triples, the 'cross bikes have compacts. I think it depends on where you frequently ride. We have lots of hills. I was coasting down one yesterday and got up to 43.8 mph , I couldn't pedal fast enough to go any faster :) going up I average 5-6 mph :) at the steepest parts , don't know what the grades are but they are tough.
Compacts are a good compromise I think.

George

I ride a triple,

Just wondering is the only reason for going with a compact is to have two rings at the front so nobody laughs at you for having a "Granny" ring?

I've had a few snorts for having a triple on my best bike but it's perfect for my kind of riding so they can snort! You still get jibes for the people riding compacts as well! My Sister rides a compact with a competative bunch, the only real downside seems to be bigger steps between gears!

I don't see any reason to change if you already have a triple, i just never use the granny ring unless i've decided to cycle over the lecht/west coast with 25%+ hills or go on holiday in the alps maybe! It's nice having the option after 100 miles and some big climbs to go!

Im in the UK near the edge of Wales so there are some really nice hills round here. The only disadvantage is that you cant go anywhere without finding a hill, even our TT routes hae got big hills in them as its not possible to find 10 miles of flat road :D

So yes I use my granny ring and im proud of it.

Never found the need for a triple. I live in the foothills of the Adirondack's and can easily accomplish some altitude gain riding right out of my door. I've got two bikes, one compact and one 53/39. Mostly I ride the 53/39 and when I am not at the weight I like to be (ie, this year lol) I simply ride the 53/39 and dont ride the more serious routes until later in the season. The compact I ride only on fairly long (60+ miles) fairly hilly (2500ft+ gain) rides, which I tend to avoid earlier in the season anyway.

NOT that there is ANYTHING wrong with a triple. I do have a compact and I do use it. :D Just sharing what I do and my tendencies.