Anybody run shimano airlines ?

floody

Sep 9, 2003
How well do they work?
I'm building up a bike and I want to pimp it out with some of the "vaporware" stuff I've always wanted, one of those being shimano airlines.
Its going to be a street/slalom/jumping/Freeride setup hardtail * , so I imagine the 200-400 shifts per bottle thing won't be an issue for me, nor the single chainring only thing since thats what I'm running. They are substantial cheaper now than when they first appeared, its just I don't want to buy a dud, and I'm coming up with conflicting info.
If they're no good I'll just get a shortcage older XTR derailleur and pod shifter (ie pre rapidrise)

*current spec if your interested...
- horizontal dropout azonic DS1 frame, may get it sprayed pearl white with new stickers.
-NOS Z2 atombomb OR Manitou millenium (haven't decided which one to use yet)
-XTR vees on the front if I get non-disc forks, otherwise XT disc.
-XT rear disc, and
-XTR-DH cranks, MRP slalom guide
-Azonic PDW bars, 50mm shorty stem
-oury grips
-SDG Kevlar slim Jim
-Polished Rhyno rims
and more circa 2000 high end stuff I collected...
It seems silly maybe, but I'm trying to build the frame with the best of what was available when it was new.

Originally posted by floody
How well do they work?
I'm building up a bike and I want to pimp it out with some of the "vaporware" stuff I've always wanted, one of those being shimano airlines.
Its going to be a street/slalom/jumping/Freeride setup hardtail * , so I imagine the 200-400 shifts per bottle thing won't be an issue for me, nor the single chainring only thing since thats what I'm running. They are substantial cheaper now than when they first appeared, its just I don't want to buy a dud, and I'm coming up with conflicting info.
If they're no good I'll just get a shortcage older XTR derailleur and pod shifter (ie pre rapidrise)

*current spec if your interested...
- horizontal dropout azonic DS1 frame, may get it sprayed pearl white with new stickers.
-NOS Z2 atombomb OR Manitou millenium (haven't decided which one to use yet)
-XTR vees on the front if I get non-disc forks, otherwise XT disc.
-XT rear disc, and
-XTR-DH cranks, MRP slalom guide
-Azonic PDW bars, 50mm shorty stem
-oury grips
-SDG Kevlar slim Jim
-Polished Rhyno rims
and more circa 2000 high end stuff I collected...
It seems silly maybe, but I'm trying to build the frame with the best of what was available when it was new.

I'm not sure if they even make it anymore but I remember couple of years back Jenson USA was closing out the Airlines kit for $360. Its initial value was something like $1600. I have no idea how well it worked.