Anybody tried the Performance STI's

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rparedes, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rparedes

rparedes New Member

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

3. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Those appear to be shifters made by Microshift and sold through Nashbar for some time. Search Bikeforums.net as some of their members have used them. I don't recall reading any negative reviews - appears they work as intended, although lack some finesse. I seem to recall that they're comparably lightweight...

I was thinking about getting some myself when they were $200 brand new at Nashbar...didn't pull the trigger though...

4. rparedes

rparedes New Member

well, I was just trying to relate them to a level, like Durace or Ultegra or 105 'cause price wise they look pretty good... especially if they are Ultegra level?
    Just curious...

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

They look pretty good, i'm also interested in reviews of them.

6. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

+1. They look slick in the photo, and the $200 price seems to be a bargain, but of course the function and durability are the big question marks. Thought Shimano had the patent rights sewn up for their STI levers though; perhaps the patent expired, or this Forte has found a way around the proprietary design.

Hope they prove to be good levers. Even for us devoted Shimano users, some competition in the marketplace might help keep the big guy's prices more honest.

7. alienator

My guess is the Micro Shift mech is slightly different than the Shimano kit. Look at the tiny upshift lever. In terms of how the Micro Shift gruppo performs, the reviews I've read say it does alright. I can't remember specifics of the reviews.

8. tonyzackery

oops, mea culpa, that was supposed to say "$120 brand new"...some time early last summer I was thinking about getting 'em - they didn't have the carbon look then...$200 w/ good looks and even lighter weight is making them look tempting again...

9. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

If they work as well as they look, they're fantastic value. Dura ace shifters cost about $500 over here :eek:

10. tonyzackery

11. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

12. BluesDawg

BluesDawg New Member

What about SRAM?

13. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Not impressed with shifter function(particularly LH shifter), BB bearing quality, even the ceramic, chainring longevity, cogset/chain reliability. They have deep pockets, spread their low dollar groups everywhere, so they are perceived as 'top notch', particularl;y in cyclocross. But IMO, lots of hype, lots of low dollar groups(I've seen 'industry guys get a Red group for $800), lots of big name 'crioss riders getting sponsored so it's seen as the 'best' stuff. It's interesting that Rival is seen to be acceptable on a race rig but shimano 105 or Campagnolo Veloce isn't.

Actually riding it..yep, it moves the chain around but in terms of function, reliability, I'd pick Campagnolo or shimano, IMHO, of course...YOUR opinion may vary.

14. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

They're cheaper, man.

I've looked into these too. We have some Fujis with Microshift 8-speed shifters and they achieve a whole new level of suckiness. But maybe the 9s and 10s are better.

15. alienator

Really? Who would have thought that?