Anybody Use VeloMax Ascent II or Orion II Wheelset?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by gazookas, Jul 21, 2004.

1. gazookas

gazookas New Member

Am thinking about spending the money (and more than I really can afford, by the way!) on an Ascent II or Orion II wheelset. Anyone have any experience with these wheels??

Matt

Tags:

2. carolealdrich

carolealdrich New Member

There are quite a few folks in my bike club who ride them and rave about them. One rider has three sets.

3. dhk

dhk New Member

I've got the Velomax Circuit Comps, the cheaper OEM version of the Ascent/Orion. They are holding up great....3100 miles, still tight and true despite some pretty hard thumps over potholes and RR tracks.

The hubs/bearings seem really fine to me. Quiet, low-drag freewheel. I'd definately consider moving up to the Orion if I can ever wear these out.

4. gazookas

gazookas New Member

Thanks for the infomation folks! I am leaning quite strongly towards gett a pair of the Orion's!

5. gbriere

gbriere New Member

I've been riding the Ascent II's for over a year now on New York City streets. Putting on an average of 150 - 200 miles a week on these puppys - not a wobble one - since I put them on my bike - and believe me we got some serious pot holes here - some large enough to lose a small family in!

Anyway - good wheels - good price - good weight - IMHO

good riding...

6. gazookas

gazookas New Member

Wow! Great recommendation riding wheels in NYC.

Curious--about how much do you weigh? I'm about 173 lbs and the VeloMax people recommended I go with the Orion's though they said I could also safely use the Ascent II's. The Orion's would provide just a little additional margin of durability.

7. Hasky

Hasky New Member

very popular around my neck of the woods

8. gbriere

gbriere New Member

I weigh in at 150 -155 (depending on beer intake!) - Also too - I'm a spinner and not a masher when it comes to riding style...

If Velomax is recommending the Orion's - I'd follow there lead - I think there's only like a 60 gram weight difference between the Orion's and the Ascents...

my beer weighs more than that!

good riding.....

9. dhk

dhk New Member

According to the Veloxmax website, the reason to go with Orion would be more lateral stiffness. If you're a bigger guy, and don't like the rear wheel flexing on out of saddle climbs, Orion is better. I'm 168 lbs, and that's the way I'd go since we do a lot of grinding up steep grades here....don't want to waste any effort on wheel flex. 60 grams doesn't count for much compared to a wimpy back wheel.

It is good to hear the Velomax hold up in NYC. I also like the fact they are great american-made products.

10. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

I was considering a purchase but a friend has had nothing but trouble from his Velomax wheels. The spokes are breaking at the hubs, an indication of flexing due to wind-up on radial lacing.

IMHO, the spokes have both ends threaded but the butting is different. The builder put the longer butted end at the hub, increasing the bending moment at the hub. Bad juju.

11. gazookas

gazookas New Member

Do you know which Velomax wheelset your friend has?

12. dhk

dhk New Member

Would like to find out more. How many miles, what kind of riding, what weight is your friend? As you know, the rear is only radial on the non-drive side, and as tight as the spoke tension is, shouldn't be significant flex. Would be interesting to know the history of the wheel that's breaking...stress, crashes, been trued or re-tensioned?

And I don't follow your arguement about where the longer butted end is placed on the radial spoke. Believe Velomax studied this pretty well. To me, the longer butt would move the bending moment away from the threaded end at the hub and tend to concentrate it at the other end of the butt.

13. DrewT

DrewT New Member

I've owned a pair of Orion IIs for about 4 months now and think they are fantastic. I've not had to true them yet and I've gone over plenty of stuff that would knock them out of true. I ride of combination of flats and hills and can honestly feel the difference - probably due to the weight difference. I weigh 173 lbs and felt that the 50 additional gram for the Orion II as compared to the Ascent IIs is worth the greater strength due to my weight.

14. dhk

dhk New Member

I've also slammed over some potholes and RR tracks with the Circuit Comps that had me checking the wheels when I got home. But they are staying true. After 3100 miles now, I'm really confident in them....a great OEM-quality wheel.

The rims aren't anything fancy on the Circuits, but I really like the hub design and finish, and quiet coasting. Believe the Orion's have a nicer rims and are built with more precision...as reflecting their higher price.

Another thing I like about Velomax is that they're a CA company competing against the MAVIC juggernaut. MAVIC makes great stuff, but so do some of their competitors....SL's aren't the only wheel high quality wheel in town.

15. gazookas

gazookas New Member

We're almost exactly the same weight and it sounds like we ride the same type of terrain. Good to read that the wheels are resilient!

I will probably buy this wheelset next week.