Anybody used wheels from...

grahamspringett

Feb 26, 2004
Greg at twowheelsenterprises.com.au? I asked him about wheels for racing and training, mentioning that I was looking at a pair of Zipp 404s. He bagged the Zipps and said his wheels were far superior.

As far as I know Zipps aren't bad, indeed a mate has a pair he loves (he's 80kg and strong as an ox).

So has anybody used Greg's wheels? I'm wondering if they're nice and aero, cos that's what I'm after. My mate says his Zipps get going real well at 50km/h. WOuld Greg's be the same?

Any experience or feedback would be appreciated.

grahamspringett said:
Greg at twowheelsenterprises.com.au? I asked him about wheels for racing and training, mentioning that I was looking at a pair of Zipp 404s. He bagged the Zipps and said his wheels were far superior.

As far as I know Zipps aren't bad, indeed a mate has a pair he loves (he's 80kg and strong as an ox).

So has anybody used Greg's wheels? I'm wondering if they're nice and aero, cos that's what I'm after. My mate says his Zipps get going real well at 50km/h. WOuld Greg's be the same?

Any experience or feedback would be appreciated.
I'm getting a pair of training/racing wheels from him based on see what others have posted. His guarantee about his wheels is impressive esp when one guy had problems and reported that Greg had lived up to his guarantee.
My wheels will be Alex Crostini rims with Sapim CX spokes and good hub (not sure of his maker on hubs)

artemidorus said:
PM sideshow_bob.
no need, here i am. i semi gave up on the site with the spam stuff a few months back.

ultimately the quality of a set of wheels comes down to stiffness, aerodynamics and weight. each person is going to have their own measure of value or bang for the buck against these criteria. also there are the less tangible items like durability and service and support. personally the service and support part is pretty important to me.

given greg custom builds wheels with various rim, spoke and hubs combinations it's hard to make specific comments because obviously it's going to depend on the combination you choose. he does two carbon rims as an example, a generic asian 50mm rim and an extreme 45mm rim. weight wise the extremes are about 250 ish grams lighter and according to greg just as strong, if not stronger. i haven't ridden them though i've got no reason to doubt it.

are the wheels any more aerodynamic than the zipps? no, and in the case of the extremes with a shallower profile probably less aero. weight, well the extremes are lighter the gigantix probably a bit heavier. i've seen a few sets of zipp rims that have self destructed without much assistance from the rider.

what i will suggest is that greg will sit down with you and find out exactly what you want out of the wheels and will then build them to spec. they'll be light, strong and i'd think you'll be pretty happy with them. to me personally what makes getting wheels from greg the best option out there is that:

a) his personal service and care is second to none. he goes above and beyond to make sure i walk out the door happy. whether thats a new build or repairing a spoke it makes no difference.

b) his bang for the buck is exceptional. financially if you compare his product with a similar spec off the shelf item, you are always ending up miles ahead.

c) the products he builds are exceptional.

just for the record i've got 4 sets of his road wheels and a set of his track wheels. i've raced on a set of his generic carbon rimmed wheels for the last 8 months, and have flogged them to death. they are great. i've got a set of 84mm carbon track wheels on the way.

if you want to see pics, or ask specific questions i'm happy to answer them.

--brett

I'm coming into this discussion a bit late, but I bought a set of wheels from Greg last year, and I've been really happy with them. The stock wheels on my Specialized Roubaix Elite were bomb-proof but really heavy, and after looking at pre-built wheels and reading plenty of posts on forums, I decided to go for custom wheels. From the price perspective, weight perspective, and robustness perspective, I couldn't be happier. Also, Greg's replacement policy is great :)

jimmiejams said:
I'm coming into this discussion a bit late, but I bought a set of wheels from Greg last year, and I've been really happy with them. The stock wheels on my Specialized Roubaix Elite were bomb-proof but really heavy, and after looking at pre-built wheels and reading plenty of posts on forums, I decided to go for custom wheels. From the price perspective, weight perspective, and robustness perspective, I couldn't be happier. Also, Greg's replacement policy is great :)

All input welcome! I've still not plunked cash down, but I reckon I'll give Greg a go. I'd love Zipps, but if I can get brand new and locally built then I'll be happy (plus I'd get the cool matching Cycleops front hub with funky carbon bits...) After all, wheels can only help you so much, maybe saving a few watts. Nice to have, but not as cheap as getting fitter!