Anybody using the SRM on a track bike?

Woofer

Dec 31, 2004
Just wondering, was finally able to get a race series recorded. I flubbed it the last two times I tried: prior to this the battery died and I moved the sensor after changing a wheel and couldn't fix it before racing started.

After examining the data there is one noticeable problem. Every five minutes or so of recording during a race I can see cadence drop to zero. This is clearly not what is happening, so the sensor is missing a few transmissions due to interference or imperfect distance from the crank. Anybody else have this problem? I also imagine if this is happening to people on the road or mtb they will never know it is happening. I am thinking I am going to have to use tape for the crank sensor to eliminate movement as a problem, but the thing is already as close as it can get to the crank without touching it. Hard to fine tune position with those white elastic thingies.

Make sure that you have the crank sensor installed in the correct orientation, i.e., with the magnet end towards the center of the powermeter disk and the sensor end towards the outer circumference. The side of the sensor should be very close (i.e., w/in a few mm), and parallel to, the white plastic cover. You can test whether you've got it set-up correctly by calling up the offset display and slowly turning the crank backwards...the offset value shouldn't vary by more than a few Hz regardless of the crank position.

One other tip: unless you requested that it be added (as I did), the track version of the crank lacks the rubber O-ring seal that is found on the Pro road version. So, don't get caught in the rain with your bike on the roof as you drive to/from the velodrome!

acoggan said:
Thanks for all of those tips, good to know for anyone out there. I did do the sensor thing like the instructions say originally, though as I whine about in some other thread, the sensors keep falling apart on me. Perhaps it's in the wrong orientation now - curses! The crank turning thing is a good and easy check.

Oh, and I am using a road pro crank so no worries there but thanks again.