Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Anybody with a Schwinn 974?

Started by neopop71 · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,498 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
2 February 2011
Last activity
6 February 2011
Original author
neopop71
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,498
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I'm not sure if The Bike Cafe is the proper place for this posting, the bike is 22 years old so all the "modern" road forums are out, this seemed to be the appropriate spot to post. Please advise if this is inappropriate and I'll move the thread, thanks.

    I'm really interested in seeing how many riders have a Schwinn 974 ( aka Avion or aka Ontare) in your stable... active riders, past owners with stories, or peoples' opinions of this Schwinn/Paramount last ditch effort to save the Schwinn name.

    This is my Schwinn 974, I bought it new in 1989 with a Schwinn Circuit, I was getting serious about racing and wanted the top aluminum and top steel bike that Schwinn had available. I was coming off a used '86 Cannondale Crit Series and a used Schwinn Peloton... so the Circuit and the 974 were big steps up. I have bought and sold numerous bikes over the years but I'm proud to say that I still own both the Circuit and the 974. My 974 was stolen and thankfully recovered (by me) but not before it had been stripped and partially painted. I decided that I would go bold in my restoration, so it has fresh (bright) powdercoating and I upgraded to 8 speed Dura Ace (w/ "Brifters"😉. You can read a full description of the theft/recovery on my velospace page:

    velospace.org28328

    Please feel free with share your 974 stories or pictures, I would like to hear what fellow 974 riders have to say about their bikes.

    Thanks and safe riding!

    -D-

  2. That's a sharp-looking bike, neopop. I like the idea of restoring an older bike with newer components, or with original components for that matter. Bikes are very individual and there are endless possibilities for making them your own. I think this is the proper forum for your post. It might be nice to have a forum for restorations and classics. Enjoy your bike, and enjoy the forum!

  3. Hey Steve,

    Thank you for the kind words and the warm welcome. I'm not new to cycling but I am new to this forum, I joined because I was impressed with the quality dialogue that I've been enjoying for some time. Plenty of thoughtful replies to question coupled with some great advise... glad to now be apart of the forum!

    Best regards,

    -D-

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.