Anybody with me?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by FloydLandis, Dec 8, 2006.

1. FloydLandis

FloydLandis New Member

Help me get through the cold winter season by letting me know how many of you out there are crazy enough like me to continue out on the road no matter how cold, how windy, even night riding. How many are with me?

Tags:

2. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

I'm with you. Lately I've been going out night riding a lot, but dusk comes at 4 pm now. I think last year I called it quits at -20, now it's a balmy 5 C.

Oh yeah, and the new burly MTB is handling the gravel very well, extra drag from front and rear mudguards and the 2 inch knobbies, and an extra 7 kg uphill. I just did about 50 k on it.

-bikeguy

3. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

I'm with you. Most definitely.

No matter the temperature here up north, I won't cancel a workout. I'm a man !!

(under 18deg celcius, I train indoor though ;) :D )

4. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Nope can't say I'm with you, it was -15 C this morning. I had a 2.5 hour L2/L3 workout scheduled so I went XC skiing for a couple of hours instead. It was almost too cold for that with dry crystaline snow, tough waxing for skate skiing. Luckily it warmed up to a balmy -6 C :) Guess I'm just a lightweight but icy roads and frostbitten toes sort of take the fun out of road riding.

5. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

YOur all nuggin futs!! Trainer for me!! To get more than 2 hours on the trainer Sunday I will ride 30 on rollers before breakfast then later in morning I'll put in another two hours L3 L4 on the KK. Though I just ordered some more cold riding gear and maybe get some for Christmas too so well see how manly I become in a few weeks!!

Ray

6. POGATA

POGATA New Member

I commute all year, lowest temperatures are usually between -15°C and -20°C.

7. wiredued

wiredued New Member

I commute to work only 1.67 miles it was 19F this morning and windy. MTB full fenders with mud flaps panniers front and rear studded snows led flashers and lights coming home. My goal is to get in good enough shape to commute by Pogo stick.:)

8. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

It was a bit cold here today - around + 19 degrees celcius - too cold(and a bit of breeze too) to go for a ride so I mowed the lawns, dug in some plants, cleaned the recycables bin etc. :)

But seriously I have a sore tum so will see if I can get out for a ride tomorrow.

I admire you guys who ride in bad weather. I would never do it(I'm not a total whimp and ride in rain and down to about + 8 degrees celcius) but it gets so much more dangerous in the wet, wind and cold.

What's the point of risking falling off or being knocked off and getting injured and ruining much preparation when you could be on the rollers/trainer?:confused:

9. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

Yep... with you... forecasted for 52 tomorrow morning and that's not stopping me. Even if it's windy or cloudy, I'm still going riding.

10. EoinC

EoinC New Member

With you all the way. I don't let low temperatures stand in the way of getting out on the bike. Of course, living in the tropics does make that a little easier... :rolleyes:

11. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Surely you mean fahrenheit...

12. Aaron H

Aaron H New Member

Yep, total glutton for punishment, ha ha, we had a heavy (for the UK) snowfall last christmas and I thought as soon as that snow clears I'm off out. Ended up in a total blizzard with a mix of heavy sludge and road salt on the roads. Got home and my wheel bearings sounded like pepper grinders and it took me 20mins before my hands thawed out so I could get out of my freezing wet clothes. Loved it, told my mates and they thought I was totally wrong in the head:rolleyes:

Also went out a few years back with about 20 other lads for a 100k run and it was one of those days where the snow had just cleared, out of the 20 only about 2 hadn't crashed due to the excessive amount of ice on the roads, we also pulled someone out of their car that day as they sat in a ditch after skidding off the road. I was one of the victims that day, still I had one of those really good stories to tell.

13. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I'll be out there. I just ordered a new jacket and look forward to using it.
    I plan on using my KK trainer only when there is a time constraint or if there is a rare chance for ice or sleet. 18 degrees F this morning, but it is not the weather that is keeping me from riding this morning it is these holiday work gatherings and social things that I am obligated to attend.

I would much rather be riding than acting like I am having fun at one of these functions.:(

14. wiredued

wiredued New Member

That's the truth just came from a Christmas party last night the food was great but then we were instructed to look under our plates for a book mark which had one of the twelve gifts printed on it. Act like that gift and try to find people in your group that are acting the same way rather than act like a partridge in a pear tree I decided it was time to go.:)

15. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

I went out in 24 degree F weather today, it was coollddd. I was fairly well protected from the elements but it's clear I need warmer gloves for this kind of riding, my fingers were freezing.

16. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

Many moons ago the group I hung out would party it up Hard on Saturday night in the winter-hit the bars then crash at his house that evening. Often going to bed drunk and 2 or 3am, getting up at 6am, hungover and wed all hop on our mountain bikes for a 3 or 4 hour long hammerfest through the metropark woods starting in Brecksville (which were and maybe still are illegal to ride on). Wow-those were the days!!

It didnt matter how cold it was and it was painful, but we did it and we loved it. Again-wow-so glad I remembered that.

But-riding on slick 23c tires at 20+mph on freezing cold days just doesnt seem as appealing for some odd reason.

Ray

17. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

OK-I am quoting myself and thats weird, but I just rode 3 hours today on a group ride. It warmed to 40's. It was so awesome to be outside that I am going to commit to riding outdoors more-even in the low 30's.

Ray

18. pod

pod New Member

I'm with you in spirit but it's summer here and winter has very pleasant riding conditions with days usually around 20 deg C. During last winter I took my MTB to the snow fields with me and and did a few awsome rides in the snow. I can recommend snow biking as magic fun. On reasonably hard packed snow the wider MTB tyres stay on top and it is easy to ride around although the altitude makes it tiring. I wore full ski gear and got much too hot.