Anyone been to the Lofoten Islands - Norway?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Andrew Clark, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Andrew Clark

    Andrew Clark Guest

    After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the Lofotens
    in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and the travel
    up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning to Bodo.

    Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
    and Patrick Fox.

    Andrew

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "Andrew Clark"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the Lofotens
    >in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and the
    >travel up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning to Bodo.
    >
    >Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
    >and Patrick Fox.

    Haven't been there (since I was a kid), but you can check http://www.lofoten-tourist.no/

    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes, EDB Teamco AS e-mail: [email protected] (remove nospam first)
    web: http://spiderman.novit.no/dahls/

  3. Jacqpat

    Jacqpat Guest

    Sorry, but it's only in french !!!!! http://membres.lycos.fr/jacqpat/1997.htm

    Patrick

    "Andrew Clark" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
    [email protected]
    > After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by
    planning
    > a trip to the Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo
    via
    > Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back
    > to the mainland and returning to Bodo.
    >
    > Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I
    can
    > find belong to Steve and Patrick Fox.
    >
    > Andrew

  4. Magnus Link

    Magnus Link Guest

    "Andrew Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the
    > Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and
    > the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning to Bodo.
    >
    > Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
    > and Patrick Fox.

    [crossposted rec.bicycles.rides <---> soc.culture.nordic, maybe there are one or another Norwegian
    reading s.c.nordic?]

    I went via Bodø to Kabelvåg in late June a couple of years ago. A friend of mine and I had pondered
    making the tour by motorbike, but in the end we hesitated for the fairly long ride from Bergen,
    where he lived, along the Norwegian coast, and we hired a car instead. That turned out to be a good
    thing to do, as it was a cold and moist summer. Actually also quite cloudy, so we didn't see too
    much of the sun either. But it was really amazing to experience the absence of the nights.

    The landscape was impressive, as one can imagine. I'm sure you can find pictures on the web.
    Probably also weather statistics. But maybe May is somewhat early for bicycling?

  5. Andrew Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
    : After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the
    : Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and
    : the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning to Bodo.

    : Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
    : and Patrick Fox.

    : Andrew

    I was to Lyngen Alpen (or something like that, think they are around Tromso) about a decade ago.
    It was mid-July, so the last snowfields to melt during that spring were busy doing that. It was a
    two week hiking trip, we travelled by car and made hiking tours here and there, mostly that area
    of Norway.

    Some things to consider:

    You can burn your skin.

    Food is different from home.

    Language. How is your Norwegian? Do they all speak English these days? Maybe not.

    Insects! You wouldn't believe how many there can be. Usually there are more than one species that
    like biting. When you get higher up on the mountains, they are gone, though.

    Nice scenery. Quite different from what us lowlanders are used to. Not a bad choice for a
    holiday, IMO.

  6. The CTC Magazine dealt with them not too long ago. If you e-mail me I'll dig it out, photocopy it
    and send you a CD with the files.

  7. Andrew Clark

    Andrew Clark Guest

    "Magnus Link" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Andrew Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by
    planning
    > > a trip to the Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo
    via
    > > Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back
    > > to the mainland and returning to Bodo.
    > >
    > > Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I
    can
    > > find belong to Steve and Patrick Fox.
    >
    > [crossposted rec.bicycles.rides <---> soc.culture.nordic, maybe there are one or another Norwegian
    > reading s.c.nordic?]
    >
    > I went via Bodø to Kabelvåg in late June a couple of years ago. A friend of mine and I had
    > pondered making the tour by motorbike, but in the end we hesitated for the fairly long ride from
    > Bergen, where he lived, along the Norwegian coast, and we hired a car instead. That turned out to
    > be a good thing to do, as it was a cold and moist summer. Actually also quite cloudy, so we didn't
    > see too much of the sun either. But it was really amazing to experience the absence of the nights.
    >
    > The landscape was impressive, as one can imagine. I'm sure you can find pictures on the web.
    > Probably also weather statistics. But maybe May is somewhat early for bicycling?

    Thanks Magnus,

    May and June are supposed to be the 2 driest months. May will obviously be colder with more chance
    of snow (makes photo's look better!)

    On the other hand most campsites don't open until June, so no showers... Decisions, Decisions...

    Andrew

  8. Aemon

    Aemon Guest

    On 14 Jan 2003 01:53:15 -0800, [email protected] (Magnus Link) wrote:

    >"Andrew Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the
    >> Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands
    >> and the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning
    >> to Bodo.
    >>
    >> Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
    >> and Patrick Fox.

    I'm jealous. That would be great.

    Nik