Anyone been to the Lofoten Islands - Norway?

Andrew Clark

Guest
After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the Lofotens
in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and the travel
up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning to Bodo.

Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
and Patrick Fox.

Andrew

In article <[email protected]>, "Andrew Clark"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the Lofotens
>in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and the
>travel up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning to Bodo.
>
>Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
>and Patrick Fox.

Haven't been there (since I was a kid), but you can check http://www.lofoten-tourist.no/

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes, EDB Teamco AS e-mail: [email protected] (remove nospam first)
web: http://spiderman.novit.no/dahls/

Sorry, but it's only in french !!!!! http://membres.lycos.fr/jacqpat/1997.htm

Patrick

"Andrew Clark" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
[email protected]...
> After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by
planning
> a trip to the Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo
via
> Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back
> to the mainland and returning to Bodo.
>
> Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I
can
> find belong to Steve and Patrick Fox.
>
> Andrew

"Andrew Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the
> Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and
> the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning to Bodo.
>
> Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
> and Patrick Fox.

[crossposted rec.bicycles.rides <---> soc.culture.nordic, maybe there are one or another Norwegian
reading s.c.nordic?]

I went via Bodø to Kabelvåg in late June a couple of years ago. A friend of mine and I had pondered
making the tour by motorbike, but in the end we hesitated for the fairly long ride from Bergen,
where he lived, along the Norwegian coast, and we hired a car instead. That turned out to be a good
thing to do, as it was a cold and moist summer. Actually also quite cloudy, so we didn't see too
much of the sun either. But it was really amazing to experience the absence of the nights.

The landscape was impressive, as one can imagine. I'm sure you can find pictures on the web.
Probably also weather statistics. But maybe May is somewhat early for bicycling?

Andrew Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
: After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the
: Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and
: the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning to Bodo.

: Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
: and Patrick Fox.

: Andrew

I was to Lyngen Alpen (or something like that, think they are around Tromso) about a decade ago.
It was mid-July, so the last snowfields to melt during that spring were busy doing that. It was a
two week hiking trip, we travelled by car and made hiking tours here and there, mostly that area
of Norway.

Some things to consider:

You can burn your skin.

Food is different from home.

Language. How is your Norwegian? Do they all speak English these days? Maybe not.

Insects! You wouldn't believe how many there can be. Usually there are more than one species that
like biting. When you get higher up on the mountains, they are gone, though.

Nice scenery. Quite different from what us lowlanders are used to. Not a bad choice for a
holiday, IMO.

The CTC Magazine dealt with them not too long ago. If you e-mail me I'll dig it out, photocopy it
and send you a CD with the files.

"Magnus Link" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andrew Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by
planning
> > a trip to the Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo
via
> > Oslo, get a ferry to the islands and the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back
> > to the mainland and returning to Bodo.
> >
> > Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I
can
> > find belong to Steve and Patrick Fox.
>
> [crossposted rec.bicycles.rides <---> soc.culture.nordic, maybe there are one or another Norwegian
> reading s.c.nordic?]
>
> I went via Bodø to Kabelvåg in late June a couple of years ago. A friend of mine and I had
> pondered making the tour by motorbike, but in the end we hesitated for the fairly long ride from
> Bergen, where he lived, along the Norwegian coast, and we hired a car instead. That turned out to
> be a good thing to do, as it was a cold and moist summer. Actually also quite cloudy, so we didn't
> see too much of the sun either. But it was really amazing to experience the absence of the nights.
>
> The landscape was impressive, as one can imagine. I'm sure you can find pictures on the web.
> Probably also weather statistics. But maybe May is somewhat early for bicycling?

Thanks Magnus,

May and June are supposed to be the 2 driest months. May will obviously be colder with more chance
of snow (makes photo's look better!)

On the other hand most campsites don't open until June, so no showers... Decisions, Decisions...

Andrew

On 14 Jan 2003 01:53:15 -0800, [email protected] (Magnus Link) wrote:

>"Andrew Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> After last years trip to Iceland I'm keeping up the Nordic theme by planning a trip to the
>> Lofotens in late May / early June. Plan is to fly to Bodo via Oslo, get a ferry to the islands
>> and the travel up the islands before getting another ferry back to the mainland and returning
>> to Bodo.
>>
>> Has anyone been there and can offer ideas or advice? Only trip reports I can find belong to Steve
>> and Patrick Fox.

I'm jealous. That would be great.

Nik