Anyone bought cycling stuff from ebay?

ritcho

New Member
May 24, 2004
I want to get some you-beaut aero wheels for IM racing. ie, not everyday wheels. The trouble is that wheels with deep carbon fibre rims are hellishly expensive when new, and they come up on ebay from time to time at prices that seem quite a bit less than new.

Has anyone had experiences buying wheels on ebay? Good or bad experiences, good suggestions/tips welcome (for an ebay newbie)

Ritch

ritcho said:
I want to get some you-beaut aero wheels for IM racing. ie, not everyday wheels. The trouble is that wheels with deep carbon fibre rims are hellishly expensive when new, and they come up on ebay from time to time at prices that seem quite a bit less than new.

Has anyone had experiences buying wheels on ebay? Good or bad experiences, good suggestions/tips welcome (for an ebay newbie)

Ritch

I have bought a few things on ebay and all my experiences have been good so far and I have saved a huge amount of money.
Dont limit yourself to just buying from Aus either, if the seller has an exemplary track record.
I have recently bought 3 used wheels for the fixie for $50, a new set of Ultegra tandem cranks for US$152 and a new Polar 725 for US$256.

Happy hunting.

Geoff

ritcho said:
I want to get some you-beaut aero wheels for IM racing. ie, not everyday wheels. The trouble is that wheels with deep carbon fibre rims are hellishly expensive when new, and they come up on ebay from time to time at prices that seem quite a bit less than new.

Has anyone had experiences buying wheels on ebay? Good or bad experiences, good suggestions/tips welcome (for an ebay newbie)

Ritch
well interestingly enough I can say that yes I have..! about 2 weeks ago now... picked up some Cosmic Carbones from an ebay auction in Germany! I have the guys email, he was excellent, brand new, never used, boxed with all equipment, got here within 5 days of me winning the auction.... like you I wanted some Deep rim wheels for the triathlons I plan on doing, I ended up paying $1400 Aus for the wheels, plus shipping about $1500 all up... was fantastic value.

there were some US auctions, but Im sure they were dodgy and after losing one I got offered the wheels outside of the auction so I complained to ebay and they sent a warning to the seller of the items, so be careful.

but I have bought 2 things from this guy in germany now and he is excellent.

if you want his information, let me know I will sent it to you privately.

I have bought lots of cycling gear using Ebay, and have saved a lot of money. I bought a Mavic Cosmos wheel a few months ago from a guy in Perth, and since then I have bought another wheel, home trainer tyre, ultegra cassette and a few other bits and pieces from him. Buying from international sellers can save you a lot of money. Tyres for example are so expensive here ($90ea for Michelin Pro 2 Race), and buying them from someone in the U.S. cost me around $110 for 2.

ritcho said:
I want to get some you-beaut aero wheels for IM racing. ie, not everyday wheels. The trouble is that wheels with deep carbon fibre rims are hellishly expensive when new, and they come up on ebay from time to time at prices that seem quite a bit less than new.

Has anyone had experiences buying wheels on ebay? Good or bad experiences, good suggestions/tips welcome (for an ebay newbie)

Ritch
Ebay rocks for just about everything :). Just don't get anything shipped from the US by courier - the customs man will tell you to be over and they don't use lube. You will may much less, if anything, if you use USPS.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I want to get some you-beaut aero wheels for IM racing. ie, not everyday
> wheels. The trouble is that wheels with deep carbon fibre rims are
> hellishly expensive when new, and they come up on ebay from time to
> time at prices that seem quite a bit less than new.
>
> Has anyone had experiences buying wheels on ebay? Good or bad
> experiences, good suggestions/tips welcome (for an ebay newbie)
>
> Ritch

I have never bought any wheels, but have bought several bicycles.
If you consider buying from outside - see custom controls explained
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376
Check seller feedback. If not sure don't buy. Don't bid too early.
Beware of sniping http://tinyurl.com/b6wlg

Timofey

A friend put her bike on Ebay and was sold to a gentlemen, they arranged to
swap $ for bike in person, once he got there he said it was not the same
bike as in the photo and refused to take it. She put in a complaint to Ebay
they just threatened her with legal action as she had to pay up as the bike
supposely "sold". She has since taken the customer to small claims and won,
is still waiting for her cash . According to a mediator she initially hired
this is not uncommon.

ritcho said:
I want to get some you-beaut aero wheels for IM racing. ie, not everyday wheels. The trouble is that wheels with deep carbon fibre rims are hellishly expensive when new, and they come up on ebay from time to time at prices that seem quite a bit less than new.

Has anyone had experiences buying wheels on ebay? Good or bad experiences, good suggestions/tips welcome (for an ebay newbie)

Ritch
I've bought a saddle, stem, jersey all with great success and around 50% saving (new products). It's an excellent source for good savings.

Walrus wrote:
> ritcho Wrote:
>
>>I want to get some you-beaut aero wheels for IM racing. ie, not everyday
>>wheels. The trouble is that wheels with deep carbon fibre rims are
>>hellishly expensive when new, and they come up on ebay from time to
>>time at prices that seem quite a bit less than new.
>>
>>Has anyone had experiences buying wheels on ebay? Good or bad
>>experiences, good suggestions/tips welcome (for an ebay newbie)
>>
>>RitchI've bought a saddle, stem, jersey all with great success and around 50%

> saving (new products). It's an excellent source for good savings.

I bought a Felt Frame and forks, DVDs, tyres, gloves, battery chargers,
a palm computer and other stuff. No problems yet.

Marty