Anyone built a surly long haul trucker touring bike?

debubowman

Jan 7, 2005
I'm considering building my own touring bike. I've found a frame that I'm interested in, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this frame. It's a Surly Long Haul Trucker.
Thanks!

I have a friend who owns a bike shop. He's built up a lot of Surly's, including the Long Haul Trucker. He likes them a lot. They seem like a good value--and, rare in our day, they're designed as a real touring bike.

I'm a big fan of Surly - I have a Surly Steamroller fixed gear and a Surly Long Haul Trucker that replaced my Cross-check cyclocross frame (the Cross-check was too small). It's a really nice frame - I highly recommend it. I haven't toured on it yet but I did try the Cross-check fully loaded and it was fine. The Trucker is basically the same except the longer chainstays and lower bottom bracket make it even more stable. It's nice building your own bike because you can do things that you'll never get stock, for instance, I run a 52/39/24 crankset with an 11-32 cogset giving me maximum gears for any situation. I also have bar end shifters and V-brakes, which so far I've only seen on the Trek 520. And of course, there's the Brooks saddle...

Anyway, you can't beat it for the price.