Anyone clean the INSIDE of their helmet?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sergen, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sergen

sergen New Member

Bit of a strange one coming up! I've noticed on the last couple of rides that my helmet is starting to smell a bit rancid! Not sure why I'm experiencing such bad smells in winter as one would've assumed there'd be more sweat in summer.

Does anyone clean the inside of their helmet? What would be the best stuff to use, i.e. normal soap, mild detergents, etc?

Thanks

Tags:

2. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

Of course.

I take mine into my post-ride shower. I have also tossed it in the washing machine after making sure it wouldn't hang up and break the agitator, when I was washing my woolens on "gentle".

3. Tripped

Tripped New Member

I'm getting salt build up in my helmet, I've been telling myself that I would clean it one day, but the one day hasn't came yet.

4. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

I remove the pads regularly and throw them in the wash in one of those wash bags my wife uses for her bras etc (minus the bras though).
    The helmet gets the ocassional wash with mild detergent in the laundry sink.

5. sogood

sogood New Member

I understand that salt is detrimental to the integrity of the helmet. Either wash it early or discard the smelly helmet early.

6. kspangler

kspangler New Member

I also wash mine, hand wash though. I also just ordered a replacement liner for it at a reasonable price.

7. DamianM

DamianM New Member

It's summer here, and I find myself washing my helmet after every big ride. If I don't, the salt makes the straps all stiff and nasty.
    I just rinse out the straps and pads in the sink when I get home then sit it outside for a few minutes.

8. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

Forget your lid....what about your gloves.... they really do stink if you let them go unwashed for too long :eek:

9. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

I just run it under the cold tape after every few rides(in summer). In winter I forget to wash it - seems fine although I'm not a big sweat producer.

At the moment my under chin strap is a bit shredded and the wispy nylon strands are getting on my skin when I'm riding - it's a bit like having a spider's web on my face at times - yuk:mad:

10. scottmilk9

scottmilk9 New Member

I also handwash mine, i use shampoo and a small tooth brush, let it air dry and your as good as new.

11. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

In the sink with whatever detergent is around, whenever I remember to wash the darn thing.

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I wear a sweatband under my helmet - helps to limit the amount of sweat/salt buildup.

I do wash it out each week as well.

13. thomas_cho

thomas_cho New Member

I am starting to notice a foul smell from the straps. Hasnt been washed since I got the helmet about 1.5 years ago.

I should at least wash it monthly. I do however leave it in the sunlight after each ride. Perhaps that kills the bacteria?

14. John M

John M New Member

I do what 1id10t does. Leaving the helmet in hot sun may not be so good for the integrity of the plastics.

15. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

I have yet to wash mine after about a year of riding with it. I remember reading in Bicycling that you should just take it in the shower. When you get your hair all shampooy (yes, I made that word up) that you should throw the helmet on and rub it around on your head.

I also agree with the comment by Albert 50 about gloves getting smelly. I wore them during a rainy race and kept them in my bag for about a week. Big mistake that was. I have washed them 3 times since then and they still smell the same. I think it's time for some new gloves!:D

16. sogood

sogood New Member

UV kills polymer. Not a good idea.

In any case, bacteria is everywhere, you just have to wash it to reduce the load.

17. garage sale GT

garage sale GT New Member

How do you guys keep gloves DRY in the winter? You can't tell how saturated they're getting until they stop insulating, and you often can't turn them inside out without tearing up the lining.

18. zorly

zorly New Member

We rinse the helmet and gloves out at the end of every ride & then every couple of weeks use a bit of dish soap or shampoo, along with the rinse, to clean them out a little better.
    Then they are hung in a dry area for the next ride.
    I'm not sure on drying the winter gloves because they are not needed in this area, but when in colder climates we hang things near the (back of the) refrigerator because a running refrigerator draws the humidity out of clothing at a slow enough rate to not damage materials in most gloves, boots and so forth.

19. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

When I got to work I use to drape them over the back of the CRT monitor (as long as they weren't dripping); that is, until I got an LCD.