Anyone cycled the West Highland Way?

Tatti

Aug 13, 2004
Me and a mate are going to cycle the complete West Highland Way from Milngavie to Fort William this summer, probably at some point between mid May and early June. Ive been doing a fair bit of research on the net and went through a book describing the route for walkers.

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences of biking the route that they wish to share, or any tips on places to avoid/detour around on the way.

We would both be using hard tail mountain bikes, having a good level of fitness and travelling light, probably aiming to do the route in a reasonably relaxed three days, wild camping along the way, which should allow for certain detours off the route and drunken nights sampling some real ales at the local pubs of course :D

I look forward to any responses!

i have never cycled the entire route but i have done bits and pieces over the years. Rannoch to F William and F William to Mallaig...The Glencoe route..

sounds like a lot of fun, i am jealous!

Tatti said:
Me and a mate are going to cycle the complete West Highland Way from Milngavie to Fort William this summer, probably at some point between mid May and early June. Ive been doing a fair bit of research on the net and went through a book describing the route for walkers.

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences of biking the route that they wish to share, or any tips on places to avoid/detour around on the way.

We would both be using hard tail mountain bikes, having a good level of fitness and travelling light, probably aiming to do the route in a reasonably relaxed three days, wild camping along the way, which should allow for certain detours off the route and drunken nights sampling some real ales at the local pubs of course :D

I look forward to any responses!

Hey,

I've just joined this forum for this exact reason.

I cycled the Milngavie to Balmaha part yesterday, which is very easy (only took about an hour and a half, and that was with my 'ooo, it's a rock' wife.

From what I can gather though, after Balmaha, there are parts of 'The Way' which are nasty for cyclists. Many parts where you have to scramble over rocks - so make sure you're comfortable doing a little rock-climbing with a bike on your shoulder. Parts like Devil's Staircase may again be a bike on shoulder moment, so be prepared.

I also don't think the people who take care of the Way are too happy with cyclists using it, as it tears up the track, but then, that's just what I heard from someone else, rather than knowing for sure.

After yesterday, the wife and I plan to do the same thing, cycle the entire Way, but I'm unsure if that's 100% feasible.
I'm going to try to do as much research on this as I can, so I can attempt at the end of July. I'll let you know if I find out anything more promising on these parts.

Good luck, let me know what's happening your end.

Recess (John)
www.recess.co.uk
Success is merely a failure to imagine more.

I did Milngavie to Carbeth myself on my Mountian Bike last year I was planing to do more but it was just to hard going and not the kinda rideing I am used to.

I also don't think the people who take care of the Way are too happy with cyclists using it, as it tears up the track, but then, that's just what I heard from someone else, rather than knowing for sure.
Yes thats true and its noted by signs when you start The Way from Milngavie and so on that the route is not intended for bikes, not saying that you dont have the right to travel on it with a bike by Law you have the right just like a walker has.