Anyone doing Round the Island this Sunday?

Tony Raven

Guest
Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be good.

Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth
and Southampton from Waterloo.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
> good.
>
> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth and
> Southampton from Waterloo.

Hmm, not sure. Was thinking of going camping, but think I'll leave it till
later in the year.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:40:38 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
>> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
>> good.
>>
>> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth and
>> Southampton from Waterloo.

>Hmm, not sure. Was thinking of going camping, but think I'll leave it till
>later in the year.

A week later and you can map it!

Jim.

Tony Raven wrote:

> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be good.

Almost certainly, although we may plump for a lazy weekend and do the 55km
ride as it uses the *very* enjoyable railway trails and we've done the full
Round the Island several times before.
Our team is likely to be myself, son (14) daughter (18) and her boyfriend.

We'll probably camp just outside Cowes, as there is a basic 'farm' site just
down the road from a great pub with 8 real ales :))

> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth
> and Southampton from Waterloo.

Basingstoke is closed for the holiday but trains from London - Portsmouth look
OK.

We will cycle down (about 40 miles ) and get the Southampton/Cowes ferry, as
I'll likely to take the Trice, which I doubt I can sneak on to a SWT bus (even
if our friend Ian is driving)

Weather does look very good :)

John B

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
>> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
>> good.

> Almost certainly, although we may plump for a lazy weekend and do the 55km
> ride as it uses the *very* enjoyable railway trails and we've done the
> full
> Round the Island several times before.
> Our team is likely to be myself, son (14) daughter (18) and her boyfriend.
>
> We'll probably camp just outside Cowes, as there is a basic 'farm' site
> just
> down the road from a great pub with 8 real ales :))
>
>> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth
>> and Southampton from Waterloo.

> Basingstoke is closed for the holiday but trains from London - Portsmouth
> look
> OK.
>
> We will cycle down (about 40 miles ) and get the Southampton/Cowes ferry,
> as
> I'll likely to take the Trice, which I doubt I can sneak on to a SWT bus
> (even
> if our friend Ian is driving)
>
> Weather does look very good :)

Where does it say the weather looks *very* good?

Oh, and if anyone is getting the train on SWT ...
http://www.halfpricetraintickets.co.uk/downloadvoucher.asp

"Jim Ley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:40:38 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
>>> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
>>> good.
>>>
>>> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth
>>> and
>>> Southampton from Waterloo.

>>Hmm, not sure. Was thinking of going camping, but think I'll leave it till
>>later in the year.

> A week later and you can map it!

I know, I did see that. Can't believe so many of them are going to such
personal expense. It's a good thing though, hopefully OS will open up their
data soon.

Right, I'm thinking a little more positively. I'm thinking of going down on
Friday or Saturday to the New Forest, camping there, then getting across to
IoW Sun morning, camping again, and then returning Monday evening.

So, I need some help with train fares advice (i.e. I don't want to pay for
two singles to Southampton .. can I get a long break ticket or something?)
,, and need some campsite recommendations, and things to do and see advice.

Thanks

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:53:28 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I know, I did see that. Can't believe so many of them are going to such
>personal expense. It's a good thing though, hopefully OS will open up their
>data soon.

It's really not that expensive - 15 quid travel, 50 quid to sleep, and
we get to do something interesting and drink lots...

>So, I need some help with train fares advice (i.e. I don't want to pay for
>two singles to Southampton .. can I get a long break ticket or something?)

nationalrail.co.uk will answer that - megatrain.com do have an 8.50
single on the friday, but nothing for coming back, and would likely be
too early for you.

Jim.

elyob wrote:

> So, I need some help with train fares advice (i.e. I don't want to
> pay for two singles to Southampton .. can I get a long break ticket
> or something?) ,, and need some campsite recommendations, and things
> to do and see advice.

If you're going London-Southampton/Portsmouth, don't forget the Megatrain. I
travelled Waterloo - So'ton the other day for £2!

elyob wrote:

> Right, I'm thinking a little more positively. I'm thinking of going down on
> Friday or Saturday to the New Forest, camping there, then getting across to
> IoW Sun morning, camping again, and then returning Monday evening.
>
> So, I need some help with train fares advice (i.e. I don't want to pay for
> two singles to Southampton .. can I get a long break ticket or something?)
> ,, and need some campsite recommendations, and things to do and see advice.

Take the train to from Waterloo to Brockenhurst where you can camp, and
then you can either ride or catch the train to Lymington where the ferry
to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight leaves from the train station.

Campsite info to choose from at
http://www.staying-inthe-new-forest.co.uk/camping-brockenhurst.htm

Once you are on the ride with all the other people you'll know it was
worth it ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:52:38 +0100, "Simon Bennett"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>elyob wrote:
>
>> So, I need some help with train fares advice (i.e. I don't want to
>> pay for two singles to Southampton .. can I get a long break ticket
>> or something?) ,, and need some campsite recommendations, and things
>> to do and see advice.

>If you're going London-Southampton/Portsmouth, don't forget the Megatrain. I
>travelled Waterloo - So'ton the other day for £2!

Are the terms and conditions okay for taking a bike? I know they're
not the normal Rail T&C's - you cannot alight at intermediate stops
for example.

Jim.

Jim Ley wrote:

> Are the terms and conditions okay for taking a bike? I know they're
> not the normal Rail T&C's - you cannot alight at intermediate stops
> for example.

That's what I'd heard. I looked on the T&Cs and couldn't find any mention of
bikes. I've used it twice -- both times with a bike -- and no-one said
anything (neither the guard, nor the gate staff at So'ton). The only problem
is you have to sit in a specific carriage 2nd or 3rd from the front, which
doesn't contain the bike stowage thingy. So make sure you bring a lock, and
don't leave any gear on your bike.

Tony Raven wrote:
> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be good.

We were thinking of it, but we've spent the last two weekends away from
home and have some stuff to catch up with it. We'll probably just go for
a ride from home on Sunday.

Have a good one.

Mike

Tony Raven wrote:
> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
> good.
>
> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth
> and Southampton from Waterloo.

If I see you, I'll wave as you come past my place.
Are you "decorating" your bikes ???

Jan

elyob wrote:

> "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > We will cycle down (about 40 miles ) and get the Southampton/Cowes ferry,
> > as
> > I'll likely to take the Trice, which I doubt I can sneak on to a SWT bus
> > (even
> > if our friend Ian is driving)
> >
> > Weather does look very good :)
> >

> Where does it say the weather looks *very* good?

She who keeps me informed, plus sticking the finger in the air and checking the
fir cones.

John B

Jan wrote:

> If I see you, I'll wave as you come past my place.
> Are you "decorating" your bikes ???

Red Bike Friday should be reasonably rare. Where do I look out for the
wave?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

elyob wrote:

> Right, I'm thinking a little more positively. I'm thinking of going down on
> Friday or Saturday to the New Forest, camping there, then getting across to
> IoW Sun morning, camping again, and then returning Monday evening.
>
> So, I need some help with train fares advice (i.e. I don't want to pay for
> two singles to Southampton .. can I get a long break ticket or something?)

Remember if travelling from London with a bike you will have to go via
Portsmouth due to the lines shut through basingstoke.
It may be better for you to alight at Pompey and cross to Fishbourne where
there is a good site at nearby Kite's Hill (Tel: 01983 882543) which is also a
checkpoint for the Ride.

There's also a pub just down the road.

See? it's all falling nicely into place for you :)

John B

John B wrote:

> Remember if travelling from London with a bike you will have to go via
> Portsmouth due to the lines shut through basingstoke.

I think that is only the Reading to Basingstoke line, NRE is showing
trains running Waterloo to Southampton with no service bulletins.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:

> John B wrote:
>

> > Remember if travelling from London with a bike you will have to go via
> > Portsmouth due to the lines shut through basingstoke.
> >

> I think that is only the Reading to Basingstoke line, NRE is showing
> trains running Waterloo to Southampton with no service bulletins.

Have a look at SWT engineering works, which match the notices at the
posters all over Basingstoke this last fortnight :-(

"Basingstoke Area
All lines will be closed in the Basingstoke area. No trains will run in the
area bounded by Farnborough, Winchester, Andover and Reading. Most trains
due to pass through this area will be replaced by buses for part of their
journey and may make additional stops with extended journey times..."

"Services between Waterloo and Weymouth will run via an alternative route
between Woking and Southampton Central, calling at Guildford, Havant and
Fareham.
Services between London Waterloo and Poole will only run between Winchester
and Poole..."

And so it goes on and on....

John B

Tony Raven wrote:
> Jan wrote:
>>

>> If I see you, I'll wave as you come past my place.
>> Are you "decorating" your bikes ???
>>

> Red Bike Friday should be reasonably rare. Where do I look out for
> the wave?

Yarbridge, Brading
Jan