Anyone doing Round the Island this Sunday?

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> John B wrote:
>>

>> > Remember if travelling from London with a bike you will have to go via
>> > Portsmouth due to the lines shut through basingstoke.
>> >

>> I think that is only the Reading to Basingstoke line, NRE is showing
>> trains running Waterloo to Southampton with no service bulletins.

> Have a look at SWT engineering works, which match the notices at the
> posters all over Basingstoke this last fortnight :-(
>
> "Basingstoke Area
> All lines will be closed in the Basingstoke area. No trains will run in
> the
> area bounded by Farnborough, Winchester, Andover and Reading. Most trains
> due to pass through this area will be replaced by buses for part of their
> journey and may make additional stops with extended journey times..."
>
> "Services between Waterloo and Weymouth will run via an alternative route
> between Woking and Southampton Central, calling at Guildford, Havant and
> Fareham.
> Services between London Waterloo and Poole will only run between
> Winchester
> and Poole..."
>
> And so it goes on and on....

Thanks for the warning. I'll bear it in mind. Have bike, WILL travel!

Also have a car, but don't want to touch that. Will check my best route
tomorr ... today. Well, there goes my 34th birthday. It's gone midnight, I
turned down 2 pints tonight. I accepted three. I bought three. I have a
kebab and chips in front of me. And a can of beer.

Don't call me too early gang!

John B wrote:

> "Basingstoke Area
> All lines will be closed in the Basingstoke area. No trains will run in the
> area bounded by Farnborough, Winchester, Andover and Reading. Most trains
> due to pass through this area will be replaced by buses for part of their
> journey and may make additional stops with extended journey times..."
>
> "Services between Waterloo and Weymouth will run via an alternative route
> between Woking and Southampton Central, calling at Guildford, Havant and
> Fareham.
> Services between London Waterloo and Poole will only run between Winchester
> and Poole..."
>
> And so it goes on and on....

Ah that explains why the trains from Waterloo to Southampton are taking
two hours rather than the normal 1hr20. Wonderful NRE: if you look up
the train times it gives you a longer journey and says there are no
service bulletins. So you have to scroll down through a great long list
of service bulletins to see if there is one that might affect your
journey (providing you recognise the sections of line mentioned are on
your route)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Jan wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> Jan wrote:
>>>

>>> If I see you, I'll wave as you come past my place.
>>> Are you "decorating" your bikes ???
>>>

>> Red Bike Friday should be reasonably rare. Where do I look out for
>> the wave?

> Yarbridge, Brading Jan

Good. Starting off from Cowes I'll still have just enough energy left
to wave back at that point.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

elyob wrote:
> "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Tony Raven wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
> >> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
> >> good.

> > Almost certainly, although we may plump for a lazy weekend and do the 55km
> > ride as it uses the *very* enjoyable railway trails and we've done the
> > full
> > Round the Island several times before.
> > Our team is likely to be myself, son (14) daughter (18) and her boyfriend.
> >
> > We'll probably camp just outside Cowes, as there is a basic 'farm' site
> > just
> > down the road from a great pub with 8 real ales :))
> >
> >> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth
> >> and Southampton from Waterloo.

> > Basingstoke is closed for the holiday but trains from London - Portsmouth
> > look
> > OK.
> >
> > We will cycle down (about 40 miles ) and get the Southampton/Cowes ferry,
> > as
> > I'll likely to take the Trice, which I doubt I can sneak on to a SWT bus
> > (even
> > if our friend Ian is driving)
> >
> > Weather does look very good :)
> >

> Where does it say the weather looks *very* good?
>
> Oh, and if anyone is getting the train on SWT ...
> http://www.halfpricetraintickets.co.uk/downloadvoucher.asp

Also, http://www.wightlink.co.uk/specialoffers/2410/winter_foots.pdf

The megatrain/hallfpricetrain/halfpriceferry offers probably negate
this but it's worth remembering that if you by a train ticket to Ryde,
the rail ticket includes the ferry and you can use railcards to
discount the whole trip. However, I would not recommend taking the Ryde
ferry.

I will probably be there this weekend with my bro'. Probably black
Dahon Speed TR folder.

Not Responding wrote:

> However, I would not recommend taking the Ryde
> ferry.

Although we will be using the Cowes crossing, I must ask what is wrong with the
Ryde ferry?
Other than Ryde pier of course.

John B

Wanted to go but (rolls eyes) we've got the midwife coming round to
discuss our birth plan (sprog-dropping planned for May 15th), and
apparently I "have to be there." No sense of priorities, some people ;-)

John B wrote:
> Not Responding wrote:
>

> > However, I would not recommend taking the Ryde
> > ferry.

> Although we will be using the Cowes crossing, I must ask what is wrong with the
> Ryde ferry?
> Other than Ryde pier of course.

Do you need any more reason than Ryde Pier? Also, too quick, too
enclosed and lacks a bar.

Not Responding wrote:
> John B wrote:
> > Not Responding wrote:
> >

> > > However, I would not recommend taking the Ryde
> > > ferry.

> > Although we will be using the Cowes crossing, I must ask what is wrong with the
> > Ryde ferry?
> > Other than Ryde pier of course.
> >

> Do you need any more reason than Ryde Pier? Also, too quick, too
> enclosed and lacks a bar.

I thought the smoking ban hadn't been activated down there yet?

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Not Responding wrote:
> > John B wrote:

> > > Although we will be using the Cowes crossing, I must ask what is wrong with the
> > > Ryde ferry?
> > > Other than Ryde pier of course.
> > >

> > Do you need any more reason than Ryde Pier? Also, too quick, too
> > enclosed and lacks a bar.

> I thought the smoking ban hadn't been activated down there yet?
>
> ..d

:)

Ferries are irrelevant to me anyway. I shall be sailing across to the
island on Saturday evening with bikes lashed to the boat. Shame the
tides are all wrong to get into Wootton Creek - we'll probably go to
East Cowes.

OTOH, if you see a grounded yacht with bikes attached, it'll be me
regretting my daring and entering a tidal creek on a falling tide in
the dark. Give us a wave, we'll be stuck until about 1100.

Mike K Smith wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
> > Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday

I wanted to as I stupidly assumed it was next weekend; however I'm
doing the Severn Across 400 the day before. It is of course just
possible to do both, although this will probably only apply to a Mr
Kahn of this parish ;-)

just come back from 4 days in Edinburgh (well Dalkieth actually),
needless to say the people up there have never heard of the LEL. Flew
over the route, looks very scenic (checks triple chainset)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 04:07:44 -0700, Not Responding wrote:
> OTOH, if you see a grounded yacht with bikes attached, it'll be me
> regretting my daring and entering a tidal creek on a falling tide in
> the dark. Give us a wave, we'll be stuck until about 1100.

Which conjures up the lovely image of a small boat sat at a slight angle
on a mud flat, while the crew wave at a stream of cyclists on the shore.

Perhaps you could take a turbo trainer to allow the illusion of
participation in such an eventuality.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 04:07:44 -0700, Not Responding wrote:
>
>>OTOH, if you see a grounded yacht with bikes attached, it'll be me
>>regretting my daring and entering a tidal creek on a falling tide in
>>the dark. Give us a wave, we'll be stuck until about 1100.

> Which conjures up the lovely image of a small boat sat at a slight angle
> on a mud flat, while the crew wave at a stream of cyclists on the shore.
>
> Perhaps you could take a turbo trainer to allow the illusion of
> participation in such an eventuality.

Hmm, a marketing opportunity arises.

Scene: Yacht heading up tidal creek, settle gracefully on the mud.
Locals observing from pub beer garden observe and snicker. Not
Responding appears in cockpit, takes out modified Brompton, applies CO2
inflator; wheels puff out to balloon tyres to turn vehicle into Judge
Dredd Lawmaster [1] lookalike. NR cycles gently over mudflats to pub,
gets in several rounds.

R.

[1] A reference to a motorbike in a popular comic whose glory years were
in the 1980s, m'lud.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:15:19 +0100, Richard wrote:

> Hmm, a marketing opportunity arises.
>
> Scene: Yacht heading up tidal creek, settle gracefully on the mud. Locals
> observing from pub beer garden observe and snicker. Not Responding
> appears in cockpit, takes out modified Brompton, applies CO2 inflator;
> wheels puff out to balloon tyres to turn vehicle into Judge Dredd
> Lawmaster [1] lookalike. NR cycles gently over mudflats to pub, gets in
> several rounds.

You'd sell thousands on the East Coast, starting at Pin Mill ....

..... home of the soft mud 1" deeper than the height of the wellies.

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:15:19 +0100, Richard wrote:
>
> > Hmm, a marketing opportunity arises.
> >
> > Scene: Yacht heading up tidal creek, settle gracefully on the mud. Locals
> > observing from pub beer garden observe and snicker. Not Responding
> > appears in cockpit, takes out modified Brompton, applies CO2 inflator;
> > wheels puff out to balloon tyres to turn vehicle into Judge Dredd
> > Lawmaster [1] lookalike. NR cycles gently over mudflats to pub, gets in
> > several rounds.

> You'd sell thousands on the East Coast, starting at Pin Mill ....
>
> .... home of the soft mud 1" deeper than the height of the wellies.

ITYM 'Splatchers' or mastodon boots.

...d

David Martin wrote:
>>You'd sell thousands on the East Coast, starting at Pin Mill ....
>>
>>.... home of the soft mud 1" deeper than the height of the wellies.

> ITYM 'Splatchers' or mastodon boots.

Indeed.
BDTDINDWD.

R.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
>> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
>> good.
>>
>> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth and
>> Southampton from Waterloo.

Yes... I was on rail replacement work last weekend,
Petersfield-Havant-Portsmouth, I know Portsmouth-Fareham and Portsmouth
Chichester was also buses instead of trains.

Don't the railway put up notices saying "Cycles not carried when engineering
works in progress"? With the best will in the world, there was no way I was
able to accommodate three bikes at Havant last weekend, not on an ordinary
double decker. Could have done it with the coach (big lockers underneath),
but then there would have only been 49 seats, not enough for the people..

Richard wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> >>You'd sell thousands on the East Coast, starting at Pin Mill ....
> >>
> >>.... home of the soft mud 1" deeper than the height of the wellies.

> > ITYM 'Splatchers' or mastodon boots.

> Indeed.
> BDTDINDWD.

?

Karabangasomething

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Richard wrote:

>>>ITYM 'Splatchers' or mastodon boots.

>>Indeed.
>>BDTDINDWD.

> ?

There is a telegraphic stop after the first D; not, as Roger initially
thought, after the second. :)

R.

"Not Responding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> David Martin wrote:
>> Not Responding wrote:

>> > Do you need any more reason than Ryde Pier? Also, too quick, too
>> > enclosed and lacks a bar.

>> I thought the smoking ban hadn't been activated down there yet?
>>
>> ..d

> :)
>
> Ferries are irrelevant to me anyway. I shall be sailing across to the
> island on Saturday evening with bikes lashed to the boat. Shame the
> tides are all wrong to get into Wootton Creek - we'll probably go to
> East Cowes.
>
> OTOH, if you see a grounded yacht with bikes attached, it'll be me
> regretting my daring and entering a tidal creek on a falling tide in
> the dark. Give us a wave, we'll be stuck until about 1100.

Couldn't you sort of lash it over the back of your boat, with little paddles
between the spokes of the back wheel, dipped in the water, and, well,
*cycle* across to Isle of Widget?

:eek:)

==
IanH