Anyone doing Round the Island this Sunday?

Richard wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > Richard wrote:

> >>Indeed.
> >>BDTDINDWD.

> > ?

> There is a telegraphic stop after the first D; not, as Roger initially
> thought, after the second. :)

Surely a stop after the second, not third.

Now, where is my dancing savages font..?

...d

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:37:40 +0000, ian henden wrote:
> Don't the railway put up notices saying "Cycles not carried when engineering
> works in progress"?

No. They write in the small print somewhere and rely on people being aware
at the start of the journey. The last time I used a replacement bus
service there hadbeen no notice. Thankfully it was one of the rare
occasions where I wasn't travelling with a bike.

> With the best will in the world, there was no way
> I was able to accommodate three bikes at Havant last weekend, not on an
> ordinary double decker. Could have done it with the coach (big lockers
> underneath), but then there would have only been 49 seats, not enough
> for the people..

The fear of that situation arising meant that I ended up doing
Penzance-Edinburgh via London and Carlise. There was no point even
asking if they could accomodate the recumbent!

Jon

In article <[email protected]>, elyob
([email protected]) wrote:

> Also have a car, but don't want to touch that. Will check my best route
> tomorr ... today. Well, there goes my 34th birthday. It's gone midnight, I
> turned down 2 pints tonight. I accepted three. I bought three. I have a
> kebab and chips in front of me. And a can of beer.
>
> Don't call me too early gang!

ELYOB!! HAVE YOU GOT A HEADACHE??

I thought I saw his name on a jar of marmalade the other day, but when I
looked more closely, I saw it read 'thick cut'.

elyob wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
>> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
>> good.
>>
>> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth and
>> Southampton from Waterloo.
>>

> Weather .. erm .. BBC are talking rain now ..

Now they're saying sunny intervals, at least in Southampton. I don't care
what the weather is, I'm going to do the round the island this year!
Honest.

I'm planning to get the 8am ferry from Southampton. If you see someone
cycling slowly on a Dawes Galaxy and wearing a Budwar cycling jersey,
that'll be me.
--
Chris

Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.

"Chris Slade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>
>> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Anyone doing the Isle of Wight Round the Island randonnee this Sunday
>>> http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/ Looks like the weather is going to be
>>> good.
>>>
>>> Worth noting that the trains look a bit disrupted/slow for Portsmouth
>>> and
>>> Southampton from Waterloo.
>>>

>> Weather .. erm .. BBC are talking rain now ..

> Now they're saying sunny intervals, at least in Southampton. I don't care
> what the weather is, I'm going to do the round the island this year!
> Honest.
>
> I'm planning to get the 8am ferry from Southampton. If you see someone
> cycling slowly on a Dawes Galaxy and wearing a Budwar cycling jersey,
> that'll be me.
> --
> Chris
>
> Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.

And, if any of you are going from Portsmouth, and happen to see the Solent
Blue Line Shuttle bus from Southapton, it's a 50 - 50 chance it'll be me!
Wave and I might wave back (promise not to knock you off!!!)

Regards

====
Ian

"ian henden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> And, if any of you are going from Portsmouth, and happen to see the Solent
> Blue Line Shuttle bus from Southapton, it's a 50 - 50 chance it'll be me!
> Wave and I might wave back (promise not to knock you off!!!)

I won't see you. I've decided to do it on my tod later in the year.

Have fun!

Chris Slade wrote:

> I'm planning to get the 8am ferry from Southampton. If you see someone
> cycling slowly on a Dawes Galaxy and wearing a Budwar cycling jersey,
> that'll be me.

Budvar?
I've just got in from our monthly Friday night six-pub mystery tour and I need
to be up at 6 tomorrow (err today) to pack the camping stuff to ride down to
the Island.

I'll wave if I see you, but please wake me up first :)

John B

John B wrote:

> elyob wrote
>
>> I've decided to do it on my tod later in the year.

> Shame.
> You could always ride this:
> http://www.sunseaandcycling.com/cyclethewight.asp
>
> John B

Tempted to go along and ride it WITHOUT A HELMET just for the hell of
it. Its public roads so they cannot enforce their rule.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Chris Slade wrote:
>

>> I'm planning to get the 8am ferry from Southampton. If you see someone
>> cycling slowly on a Dawes Galaxy and wearing a Budwar cycling jersey,
>> that'll be me.

> Budvar?
> I've just got in from our monthly Friday night six-pub mystery tour and I
> need
> to be up at 6 tomorrow (err today) to pack the camping stuff to ride down
> the Island.
>
> I'll wave if I see you, but please wake me up first :)
>
> John B

Sounds like most of you will be there already - I'll be starting from
Yarmouth - Omega bike and Omega blue and yellow top.

Julia

JBB wrote:

> "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Chris Slade wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm planning to get the 8am ferry from Southampton. If you see someone
>>> cycling slowly on a Dawes Galaxy and wearing a Budwar cycling jersey,
>>> that'll be me.

>> Budvar?
>> I've just got in from our monthly Friday night six-pub mystery tour and
>> I need
>> to be up at 6 tomorrow (err today) to pack the camping stuff to ride down
>> to the Island.
>>
>> I'll wave if I see you, but please wake me up first :)

> Sounds like most of you will be there already - I'll be starting from
> Yarmouth - Omega bike and Omega blue and yellow top.

It's going clockwise this year isn't it? In that case I expect to see an
omega bike blast past me somewhere before Brading. :)
--
Chris

Jan wrote:

> If I see you, I'll wave as you come past my place.
> Are you "decorating" your bikes ???

You didn't wave. Even stopped at the traffic lights to give you more of
a chance. Spoilt my whole ride it did! ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:
> Jan wrote:
>>
>> If I see you, I'll wave as you come past my place.
>> Are you "decorating" your bikes ???
>>

> You didn't wave. Even stopped at the traffic lights to give you more
> of a chance. Spoilt my whole ride it did! ;-)

Didn't you see my sign???? :)

Jan

"JBB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

>> I'll wave if I see you, but please wake me up first :)
>>
>> John B
>>

> Sounds like most of you will be there already - I'll be starting from
> Yarmouth - Omega bike and Omega blue and yellow top.
>
> Julia

Eer actualy no I won't! Did the anti-fouling instaed - still cycled to the
boat yard in Yarmouth on my ancient blue Carlton and met loads of real
cyclists. I'll probably use the brownie points to do the New forest audax
next weekend.
Incidentally if anyone's considering audax for the first time the 100k is
scenic and acceptably flat with a generous time limit.

Julia

JBB wrote:

> Incidentally if anyone's considering audax for the first time the 100k is
> scenic and acceptably flat with a generous time limit.

Scenic and flat? You're not used to Mr Larrington's usage of the word
Scenic in this froup. :)

Mike

"Mike K Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JBB wrote:
>
>> Incidentally if anyone's considering audax for the first time the 100k is
>> scenic and acceptably flat with a generous time limit.

> Scenic and flat? You're not used to Mr Larrington's usage of the word
> Scenic in this froup. :)
>
> Mike

Hence the addition of flat; honestly it really is. Just a few lumps and
bumps and a cracking descent down the Ornamental Drive to Brockenhurst. It's
probably the easieat 100k I've ever done although I do know the way and I
can pop home for lunch halfway round.

Julia

JBB wrote:

> Hence the addition of flat; honestly it really is. Just a few lumps and
> bumps and a cracking descent down the Ornamental Drive to Brockenhurst. It's
> probably the easieat 100k I've ever done although I do know the way and I
> can pop home for lunch halfway round.

We rode a 100km out of Lymington in September which was a nice ride. We
rode the Ornamental Drive, towards Fritham way, then down to Linwood
past the Red Shoot and Mockbeggar way. After crossing the
Ringwood-Fordingbridge rode we made our way to Cranbourne. The way back
was via Verwood and along the coast from New Milton.