Anyone else bend their derailleur hanger?

Steve Christens

Guest
Has anyone else bent the derailleur hanger on their recumbent just by having the bike fall over on
the right (drivetrain) side?

This happened to me twice on my Vision VR-42. I got worried that the hanger might break off
eventually, so I mounted on of those mountain bike derailleur guards, which does look sort of
stupid, but does the job.

I don’t ever remember having this happen on my old DF bike – so what’s different? Is it something
about the dishless Vision rear wheel? Is it because of the smaller (26”) rear wheel size? If so,
isn’t this a problem with just about every bent out there? What do the rest of you do?

Just curious. I know the answer is not to let the bike fall over on the drivetrain side in the first
place, but it IS going to happen, and I would like to not have to bend out the derailleur hanger
every time.

Steve Christensen Midland, MI

On 20 May 2003, Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don’t ever remember having this happen on my old DF bik – so what’s different?

It does happen on DF bikes. More expensive aluminium frames tend to have a replaceable hanger
because aluminium is less tolerant of being bent back if it does happen, and could snap off the
first time.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

"Steve Christensen" skrev...
> Has anyone else bent the derailleur hanger on their recumbent just by having the bike fall over on
> the right (drivetrain) side?

Just the other day actually on my Leadsled (TE-clone.) Wasn't even a hard fall. I was trying to
check the frontwheel QR when the bike slid from my little paws. Sorta lucky it did as I discovered
the hexbolt holding it onto the bracket was also loose.

M.

Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Has anyone else bent the derailleur hanger on their recumbent just by having the bike fall over on
> the right (drivetrain) side?
>
> This happened to me twice on my Vision VR-42. I got worried that the hanger might break off
> eventually, so I mounted on of those mountain bike derailleur guards, which does look sort of
> stupid, but does the job.

Maybe you need a trike? (^: Depending on the design of the protector, it can be worse. Most of them
are actually designed to keep the derailleur from being shredded, and generally put more stress on
the dropout. Without the guard, the derailleur acts as a sort of bumper for the dropout. A million
years ago I worked in a bike shop. Parents wanted their kid to stop bending/breaking derailleurs,
and had me install the guard. A couple weeks later they brought in the bike with a busted frame!

happy trails, rorschandt

--

<A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"