Anyone else break STI mechanism while braking/downshifting simultaneously?

Shayana Kadidal

Guest
Last week I heard a loud snap in my right STI lever while simultaneously downshifting and braking to
avoid a pedestian. Yesterday it gave up the ghost--the smaller lever locked up and I could no longer
upshift (trapping me all the way down in the 53x23 as I passed a "use low gear" sign on route 9W).

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had an STI lever break during a simultaneous
braking/downshifting. (I suppose the shift mechanism might be more likely to pop a spring loose with
the brake lever pulled back?) --Shayana Kadidal

(BTW, I pulled into a bike shop a few miles later, and it took some time to find one downtube
shifter in the entire place so I could use my gears on the way back to Manhattan; they're an
endangered species! Set to friction shift it worked fine with the 9 speed cassette, although the
cluster is so quiet when shifting that it was hard to tell what gear I was in...)

[email protected] (Shayana Kadidal) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Last week I heard a loud snap in my right STI lever while simultaneously downshifting and braking
> to avoid a pedestian. Yesterday it gave up the ghost--the smaller lever locked up and I could no
> longer upshift (trapping me all the way down in the 53x23 as I passed a "use low gear" sign on
> route 9W).
>
> I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had an STI lever break during a simultaneous
> braking/downshifting. (I suppose the shift mechanism might be more likely to pop a spring loose
> with the brake lever pulled back?) --Shayana Kadidal
>
> (BTW, I pulled into a bike shop a few miles later, and it took some time to find one downtube
> shifter in the entire place so I could use my gears on the way back to Manhattan; they're an
> endangered species! Set to friction shift it worked fine with the 9 speed cassette, although the
> cluster is so quiet when shifting that it was hard to tell what gear I was in...)

Try this: http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/noisystilevers.htm

Note - if this doesn't work, it sounds like you need a new shifter....

> I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had an STI lever break during a simultaneous
> braking/downshifting.

I thought that this wasn't officially possible with STI. I remember reading somewhere that this was
a benefit of Ergo over STI.

news:[email protected]...