Anyone else break STI mechanism while braking/downshifting simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Shayana Kadidal, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Last week I heard a loud snap in my right STI lever while simultaneously downshifting and braking to
    avoid a pedestian. Yesterday it gave up the ghost--the smaller lever locked up and I could no longer
    upshift (trapping me all the way down in the 53x23 as I passed a "use low gear" sign on route 9W).

    I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had an STI lever break during a simultaneous
    braking/downshifting. (I suppose the shift mechanism might be more likely to pop a spring loose with
    the brake lever pulled back?) --Shayana Kadidal

    (BTW, I pulled into a bike shop a few miles later, and it took some time to find one downtube
    shifter in the entire place so I could use my gears on the way back to Manhattan; they're an
    endangered species! Set to friction shift it worked fine with the 9 speed cassette, although the
    cluster is so quiet when shifting that it was hard to tell what gear I was in...)

    Tags:

  2. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Shayana Kadidal) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Last week I heard a loud snap in my right STI lever while simultaneously downshifting and braking
    > to avoid a pedestian. Yesterday it gave up the ghost--the smaller lever locked up and I could no
    > longer upshift (trapping me all the way down in the 53x23 as I passed a "use low gear" sign on
    > route 9W).
    >
    > I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had an STI lever break during a simultaneous
    > braking/downshifting. (I suppose the shift mechanism might be more likely to pop a spring loose
    > with the brake lever pulled back?) --Shayana Kadidal
    >
    > (BTW, I pulled into a bike shop a few miles later, and it took some time to find one downtube
    > shifter in the entire place so I could use my gears on the way back to Manhattan; they're an
    > endangered species! Set to friction shift it worked fine with the 9 speed cassette, although the
    > cluster is so quiet when shifting that it was hard to tell what gear I was in...)

    Try this: http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/noisystilevers.htm

    Note - if this doesn't work, it sounds like you need a new shifter....

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had an STI lever break during a simultaneous
    > braking/downshifting.

    I thought that this wasn't officially possible with STI. I remember reading somewhere that this was
    a benefit of Ergo over STI.

    news:[email protected]...