Anyone else doing Tour de Julian?

Cone Killer

Guest
Hello group,

After a 5 year hiatus I am getting back into this MTB thing. Anyone else here planning on going to
Julian this Saturday? I heard they make pretty good apple pies.

Regards, Doug aka Cone Killer

"Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello group,
>
> After a 5 year hiatus I am getting back into this MTB thing. Anyone else here planning on going to
> Julian this Saturday? I heard they make pretty good apple pies.
>
> Regards, Doug aka Cone Killer

Apple pies are good, although the riding might be a bit stark after the fires.

"Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hello group,
> >
> > After a 5 year hiatus I am getting back into this MTB thing. Anyone else here planning on going
> > to Julian this Saturday? I heard they make pretty good apple pies.
> >
> > Regards, Doug aka Cone Killer
> >

> Apple pies are good, although the riding might be a bit stark after the fires.

I read in the papers that Julian is expecting a very low turnout for this years holiday traffic. I
want to do my small part in helping them out with shopping up there. I expect the landscape to be
surreal but I want to do the ride and challenge myself. The 22 miles will be the longest for me this
year, previous best was 17 last weekend.

Although I am a relative newcomer to this group I thought it would be cool to meet other SD riders
who might show me some new trails. Hodges and Penasquitos are becoming somewhat passé.

Hope to see you there, Doug aka Cone Killer

"Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote > I read in the papers that Julian is expecting a very low
turnout for
> this years holiday traffic. I want to do my small part in helping them out with shopping up there.
> I expect the landscape to be surreal but I want to do the ride and challenge myself. The 22 miles
> will be the longest for me this year, previous best was 17 last weekend.
>
> Although I am a relative newcomer to this group I thought it would be cool to meet other SD riders
> who might show me some new trails. Hodges and Penasquitos are becoming somewhat passé.
>
> Hope to see you there, Doug aka Cone Killer

You should talk to Sorni, Miles, Michael Paul, etc. They're all SD locals and excellent riders to
boot. Speaking of which: It's almost SJT time again boys. Let's do it in the next few weeks.

cg

"Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote > I read in the papers that
Julian
> is expecting a very low turnout for
> > this years holiday traffic. I want to do my small part in helping them out with shopping up
> > there. I expect the landscape to be surreal but I want to do the ride and challenge myself. The
> > 22 miles will be the longest for me this year, previous best was 17 last weekend.
> >
> > Although I am a relative newcomer to this group I thought it would be cool to meet other SD
> > riders who might show me some new trails. Hodges and Penasquitos are becoming somewhat passé.
> >
> > Hope to see you there, Doug aka Cone Killer

A few of us did a ROAD ride (shhh! don't advertise it) a few weeks ago from Pine Valley to Julian
and back, and Julian was PACKED with people shopping, eating and walking around. So if that's any
indication, then it should be fine.

Two guys I know are doing the "Tour" event -- in fact I'm riding with them in an hour or so -- I'll
tell Chip to check out this thread and maybe he can contact you.

> You should talk to Sorni, Miles, Michael Paul, etc. They're all SD locals and excellent riders to
> boot. Speaking of which: It's almost SJT time again boys. Let's do it in the next few weeks.

Sounds good to me, Chris! Nov. 29th or Dec. 13th/20th? Busy time of year for most people...

Bill "wanna do SJT at night (well, half & half) soon, too" S.

"Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote > I read in the papers that
Julian
> is expecting a very low turnout for
> > this years holiday traffic. I want to do my small part in helping them out with shopping up
> > there. I expect the landscape to be surreal but I want to do the ride and challenge myself. The
> > 22 miles will be the longest for me this year, previous best was 17 last weekend.
> >
> > Although I am a relative newcomer to this group I thought it would be cool to meet other SD
> > riders who might show me some new trails. Hodges and Penasquitos are becoming somewhat passé.
> >
> > Hope to see you there, Doug aka Cone Killer
> >
> You should talk to Sorni, Miles, Michael Paul, etc. They're all SD locals and excellent riders to
> boot. Speaking of which: It's almost SJT time again boys. Let's do it in the next few weeks.
>
> cg

Thanks for the referrals. I don't know if I can hang with excellent riders just yet but soon I hope,
very soon.

I would rate myself somewhere between high beginner and low intermediate, at least from the feedback
I have received from other riders. I still need work on the technical aspects of climbing.

Regards, Doug aka Cone Killer

> "Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote > I read in the papers that
> Julian
> > is expecting a very low turnout for
> > > this years holiday traffic. I want to do my small part in helping them out with shopping up
> > > there. I expect the landscape to be surreal but I want to do the ride and challenge myself.
> > > The 22 miles will be the longest for me this year, previous best was 17 last weekend.
> > >
> > > Although I am a relative newcomer to this group I thought it would be cool to meet other SD
> > > riders who might show me some new trails. Hodges and Penasquitos are becoming somewhat passé.
> > >
> > > Hope to see you there, Doug aka Cone Killer
>
> A few of us did a ROAD ride (shhh! don't advertise it) a few weeks ago
from
> Pine Valley to Julian and back, and Julian was PACKED with people
shopping,
> eating and walking around. So if that's any indication, then it should be fine.

That is good news for Julian then. Unfortunately though it means there will probably be parking
issues unless there is a dedicated area for participants.

From the description at www.julianactive.com the Tour has a couple of road segments sandwiching a
technical down/up hill section. Looks like I'll have the opportunity to catch my breath especially
at 4000 feet. I haven't had to deal with that since I was in Colorado.

> Two guys I know are doing the "Tour" event -- in fact I'm riding with them in an hour or so --
> I'll tell Chip to check out this thread and maybe he
can
> contact you.

That would be great. Meeting like minded people is one of the reasons I enjoy the sport so
much. Thanks.

> > You should talk to Sorni, Miles, Michael Paul, etc. They're all SD
locals
> > and excellent riders to boot. Speaking of which: It's almost SJT time again boys. Let's do it in
> > the next few weeks.
>
> Sounds good to me, Chris! Nov. 29th or Dec. 13th/20th? Busy time of year for most people...
>
> Bill "wanna do SJT at night (well, half & half) soon, too" S.

Regards, Doug aka Cone Killer cone_killer at hotmail dot com

"Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cone Killer" <[email protected]> wrote > I read in the papers that
Julian

<SNIP>

> You should talk to Sorni, Miles, Michael Paul, etc. They're all SD locals
and excellent riders to boot.

I am just a shadow of my sensei Mr. Miles Todd. he is the true master! :)

Speaking of which: It's almost SJT time
> again boys. Let's do it in the next few weeks.

I've been doing nothing but getting fatter and slower since this term started at school and the
birth of my son in June. So, what the hell, go climb uphill for hours and hours! Sounds good to me.
I'm out of town Turkey Day weekend but I can blow of studying for finals in December to go ride!

Michael "spell checked just for Miles" Paul

On 11/19/03 3:44 PM, in article [email protected], "Cone Killer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> After a 5 year hiatus I am getting back into this MTB thing. Anyone else here planning on going to
> Julian this Saturday? I heard they make pretty good apple pies.
>
> Regards, Doug aka Cone Killer

Yes indeed, looking forward to a FROSTY 32° morning (according to the weather maps). I am not a
cattle ride regular, but the curiosity factor is bringing me to it!

Can't wait for the pie & t-shirt!!!

[email protected] "San Diego RoCkS.......even with a layer of ash"

BTW: Chris G. SJT is calling my inner psyche.............lets all pick a weekday. Is that
possible??!?!?!

Michael Paul wrote:

> Michael "spell checked just for Miles" Paul

Thank you. It was eminently readable, too.

Miles

"mtbchip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BBE2DF6E.3B59%[email protected]...
> On 11/19/03 3:44 PM, in article [email protected], "Cone Killer"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hello group,
> >
> > After a 5 year hiatus I am getting back into this MTB thing. Anyone else here planning on going
> > to Julian this Saturday? I heard they make pretty good apple pies.
> >
> > Regards, Doug aka Cone Killer
> >

> Yes indeed, looking forward to a FROSTY 32° morning (according to the weather maps). I am not a
> cattle ride regular, but the curiosity factor is bringing me to it!
>
> Can't wait for the pie & t-shirt!!!
>
> [email protected] "San Diego RoCkS.......even with a layer of ash"
>
> BTW: Chris G. SJT is calling my inner psyche.............lets all pick a weekday. Is that
> possible??!?!?!

Sounds good, I got a pair of leg warmers from Canari today at their warehouse sale. FYI, the sale
continues tomorrow, find info at www.canari.com if you're interested. Print the ad if you want the
free glove.

Maybe I'll see you there. I ride a white '03 rockhopper comp with a zocchi Marathon SL, disk brakes
on front and wearing an orange (mango?) camelback. I'll probably be bringing up the rear so look
back frequently.

Regards, Doug aka Cone Killer