Anyone else eat pancakes before a ride?

jsull14

Nov 26, 2005
I usually fill myself up with pancakes before I go cycling. Before a 50+ mile ride I will stuff myself real good with pancakes about 30 minutes before I start.

Is this a good pre-ride meal? It seems to work ok but I could be missing out on something which is better to eat. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

jsull14 said:
I usually fill myself up with pancakes before I go cycling. Before a 50+ mile ride I will stuff myself real good with pancakes about 30 minutes before I start.

Is this a good pre-ride meal? It seems to work ok but I could be missing out on something which is better to eat. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
LOL Before I ride I usually have a chicken tika starter followed by meat vindaloo with 2 large nam bread and a side vegetable curry, finishing off with a double helping of ice cream, coffee and a cheese board. If the above is not available, on a 100plus Km ride I eat a banana before setting off.:D

After the curry, if you get to the front of the group, you'll notice people dropping off your back wheel-rapidly.;)

jsull14 said:
Any other suggestions?
OMG you still eat pancakes... ha that is so passé. Everyone in the know switched to oatmeal... ;)

Whatever gets you the right amount of calories that your body can break down and turn into energy works. Pancakes have a fair amount of both simple and complex carbs and are therefore a suitable preride meal.

jsull14 said:

Thanks
Truckdrivers eat them before every ride.
It helps on the downhills.
:D

I'm a waffle guy myself. 'Bout 4 Eggos in the toaster are quick and easy, and good for about 50 miles.

Tater tots! :p

(Okay, it's a little weird. But seriously, tater tots, eggs, and an espressso work great before a long ride. I do like pancakes too though.

whoawhoa said:
Tater tots! :p

(Okay, it's a little weird. But seriously, tater tots, eggs, and an espressso work great before a long ride. I do like pancakes too though.

Love my coffee, but on a 4.5 hour century the usual 3 cups have to be bypassed or I'd be making the group stop too often. Tots rock!

Personally I don't like pancakes. They don't last long enough! Maybe if I ate like 6 of them...but yeah, I bonk like mad if I just eat pancakes. I need something more substantial...Pasta seems to do it, just a bit of that. Or if I eat pancakes with a little bit of taters and a small amount of bacon and an egg to balance it out, it works much better. Maybe I'm a little different though...

jsull14 said:

Thanks
Funny someone asked. I used to, until a couple of months back. I wasnt able to digest them quick enough and used to get stomach cramps. I switched to cornflakes in milk. Super high glycogen source and digests really quickly. Now, Im happy. I still eat pancakes on non-ride mornings though.