anyone else feel this way

jmax24

Jan 30, 2005
I mostly just read these forums but after my ride today I thought I should post.
The trail I ride is a 3 mile single track with the first half being a steep climb over rocks and roots and the 2nd half is downhill with steep rocky declines that scare me to death.Anyway after reading alot of advice on these forums about getting over fear, I did as most reccomend and didn't think to much about it and just did it.Well everything went great but after the the scary sections my legs felt weak and shaky for the rest of the ride.Is this normal?Does anyone else feel this way?Thanks for the help.

The shaky feeling is just adrenaline.

Its quite normal after doing something like you've described

Yeah, it's normal, it means you've been having a fun ride!

Additionally, I get tired legs and especially hands when I ride a few trails round here, that are steep and rocky, as I'm usually riding an XC race bike, hardtail, rim brakes and pretty stiff frame, and pretty high pressure in my front fork. I sometimes have to stop and rest my arms (and my legs go all wobbly too).

Duckwah hit it right on the nose. You were shaking from the adrenaline rush by pushing thru something you were scared to do. I usually get that same thing when I go mountain climbing. I’m scared of heights.

Good job with pushing thru the fear.

jmax24 said:
I mostly just read these forums but after my ride today I thought I should post.
The trail I ride is a 3 mile single track with the first half being a steep climb over rocks and roots and the 2nd half is downhill with steep rocky declines that scare me to death.Anyway after reading alot of advice on these forums about getting over fear, I did as most reccomend and didn't think to much about it and just did it.Well everything went great but after the the scary sections my legs felt weak and shaky for the rest of the ride.Is this normal?Does anyone else feel this way?Thanks for the help.
Funny thing is, I usually feel that way after I crash too!

jmax24 said:
if you are confident in your own abilities and have faith in your bike then the more you do it the easier it will become, soon you'll be flying along like a pro..

i go to the UCI downhill World Cup everytime it is here and have watched all the big players fly at impossible speeds down scary sections that would have any mortal man weep with fear. It comes down to confidence and being able to overcome fear. Steve Peat said that if you think you are going to crash then you will. You have to put the fear of crashing out of your mind and stay positive. Its not being reckless its just having a very focused mind-set.

In the same way that a martial artist has to mentally and physically prepare for combat and downhill mtb rider (or skier) has to be prepared for what is in realty a very dangerous sport.

Thanks for the response.I rode again today and did feel a little more confident.I also beat my personal best by a minute and a half.My legs still felt a little shaky after the downhill but not as bad as the day before.One thing is for certain I am addicted!Thanks

My trail is about 4 miles long, thru the woods, down some steep power lines, etc. It's a good ride for some quick excercise, or at least was until I broke my collar bone last Tuesday evening.

Those darn kids on dirt bikes got onto the trail, and did donuts at the bottom of the hill, churning dirt up about 1 foot deep.

I could ride down that hill just fine under normal conditions, but the loose soil did me in. I flew over the handle bars so beautifully for a second or two, then piled up.

The worst part was the 2 mile ride back home, up hills, growling like some kind of wild animal...

But you know what, I'll be back on that G. Fischer in about 3 weks, and can't wait!

ehh...usually your first bumpy downhill scare of a ride is a lil intense and gets u shaken....but like u said you were hookd and thats just wat happens...you start and you just love the feeling of your bones shaken to death :)

~Scott

Welcome to the club. There is a section of descent on one road ride that terrifies most who ride it. I have recorded a 67 MPH max speed descending this section which is baffling because it is very short...but steep. How steep? I brought my GPS along to verify. In profile, it is semi-circular, averaging 20% over a 1/4 mile section. I hit only 65 MPH going down this time. Yes, my legs were shakey.

Another ride which has nearly 5000 feet of climb has one descent that does it to me most of the time due to poor road/weather conditions. Last time I rode it the weather was much better. Only 60 MPH on this one because of a 20 MPH headwind.

I myself just experienced this "fear' just yesterday. I'm still new too and went down some downhill that had logs on it..wasn't too steep, one section was but I just used the brakes best I could and did good. Then, boyfriend decided to show me another short steep hill. I couldn't do it!!!! It looked way too steep. My fear was going down too quckly and losing control.

I am sooo mad at myself for not trying. Whats the worst that could happen? I'd fall.

Hopefully next time I'll give it a go.

Muddy Beast said:
well put weisse...well put

~Scott

yeah well we all understand that....im 13 and im not a downhill person...and usually u just need to wait till your ready and if you have to buy protective gear and then you wont have as much to fear about...but yeah it takes time...and practice but once its all done and said your hookd...just cuz thats wat happens

~Scott