Anyone else get this treatment at their LBS?

cydewaze

Jun 17, 2004
This isn't just a bike shop thing though. I've had it happen at other places.

When I first moved to the area I live in, I found a really excellent LBS in town. It was a small shop, but a few years ago, they expanded and got twice the floorspace.

While I haven't bought a bike from them for myself (I have all my bikes) we did buy my girlfriend's Lemond from them, and I brought a friend in who bought a Trek Fuel. I've also sent countless others there, and I have them do some labor that I don't have the tools to do (like headset installs).

My problem is, now that they know me, they kinda ignore me when I walk in. It's not bad yet, but if it's anything like the auto speed shop I used to go to, it'll get worse. It's almost like they take me for granted, and "leave me til last" if someone else comes in behind me.

A while ago, I coined a phrase that explains this type of thing. "Familiarity breeds indifference" and it kinda irks me, because I do spend a fair amount of money there, often when I could have driven another 15 minutes to Performance and gotten it sigificantly cheaper.

Has anyone else had something like this happen? I'm hoping it's not just my personality or something.

....I'm sorry, Cydewaze, I'm reading all the other threads first, before I read yours. I mean, you have 504 posts. ;)

The lbs I go to are usually pretty good about getting to returning customers. We usually start talking bikes and if someone else comes in, they will assist the them, then continue talking with me, or they'll keep talking to me while helping the others.

Maybe they are taking you for granted. Maybe you should mention visiting other shops, see how they react.

My GOD, if sounds like I'm giving relationship advice.

Haha! Well it's cool until I need something. There's nothing worse than running in to pick up a quick tire or tube and have to wait a half hour before getting checked out. Or leaving a bike for a headset to be pressed in and having to wait a month for it because "he's cool so he'll understand if we let his bike slide".

Or maybe I'm being too whiney.

I'm must be in real good with my LBS. I can go in and get what I need now and pay later (this is after 6 years). They seem to take care of everyone.

snyper0311 said:
I'm must be in real good with my LBS. I can go in and get what I need now and pay later (this is after 6 years). They seem to take care of everyone.
When I visit the shop where I bought my bike I tell then to wait on theit "real" customers first. I am never in that much of a hurry, and I like the guys there so I enjoy shooting the breeze with them...when I am ready to buy. I let them know with a wave or I just bring my item up to the counter....where I wait less than 30 seconds....unless its another bike:D

I did an end run on the LBS's, I have almost all the tools required to work on my bikes, even a homemade headset press. I buy most everything mail-order, and install it myself. This is the result of arrogant LBS's I encountered when I first began cycling. At the time I asked myself the following rhetorical question, " If Greg Lemond had to buy bike parts would the color of his money be the same as mine?" In the town where I now live, I have a good shop close to home, and all the guys are cool there, but I'm in the habit of doing my own wrenching. If your shop appreciates your business, and you've bought several high-end bikes from them, they should give you a 10% discount on parts, without you asking for it. I imagine a bike shop owner will respond to this posting with a :mad: or :mad: :mad: . That's OK, it's good to hear their side of the story.

mountainz said:
If your shop appreciates your business, and you've bought several high-end bikes from them, they should give you a 10% discount on parts, without you asking for it.
I haven't purchased any bikes from my LBS but the guys there give me discounts every single time I buy something! They're FANTASTIC! They know my name, are happy to chat to me, prices are decent, service is friendly and it's only a small bike shop in Sydney. I'm one of their regulars and I recommend them to all my friends because they give real advice and don't act like salespeople there.

That's how all the shops should be! I don't think it's that hard to extend a common courtesy to paying customers. I realize that some customers can be a pain-in-the-neck, and shop personnel may not like them personally, but that's where diplomacy comes in.