anyone else had problems with xpedia?

Gary Bartram*Re

Guest
Anyone had problems with these people? I am speaking with trading standards about them right now so
anyone elses experiences with Xpedia might help.

Cheers, GB

gary.bartram*removethisbit*@lineone.net wrote:
> Anyone had problems with these people? I am speaking with trading standards about them right now
> so anyone elses experiences with Xpedia might help.
>
> Cheers, GB

I have no thad problems with them but my mate in Germany did. I ordered a pair of Sidi shoes for
him and a pair for myself. He collected them from me a month or so later when he was in the UK. He
found they were wrong size so arranged to return them to Xpedia to get a replacement. He sent them
back with the necessary payment to get the new pair shipped directly to Germany, it took 2 months
and several phone calls for this to finally happen. He got his shoes and is happy with them but not
with Xpedia.

I regularly ride through Keighly and would like to think I could call in and make a nuisance of
myself until any problems are sorted out.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

gary.bartram*removethisbit*@lineone.net wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone had problems with these people? I am speaking with trading standards about them right now
> so anyone elses experiences with Xpedia might help.
>
> Cheers, GB

Used them twice, once by phone, once by web no problems whatsoever, but it was a couple of years ago

On 9 Oct 2003 02:28:40 -0700, [email protected] (martin) wrote:

>but it was a couple of years ago

Heres what happened to me.

I ordered some Mavic Cosmos wheels (blue) which were on special offer if I spent £50 or more on
another item.

I bought a set of forks thus qualifying me for the offer. Xpedia emailed saying the wheels were in
stock but not the forks, they would wait until the forks arrived and ship with the wheels. Fair
enough I thought.

Anyway after a couple of weeks and a few emails from me requesting my order they told me that the
wheels were no longer in stock but the forks had arrived! I could however buy the Black Mavics at an
additional cost as the blue ones were were no longer available from Mavic. I replied that I would
accept the alternative wheels but only at the same cost as the original order.

So it seems that one of two possible scenarios has taken place:
1) They sold me the blue wheels and while awaiting my forks they decided to sell my wheels to
someone else......or......
2) They used the offer as bait for orders and did not actually have the blue wheels in stock.
(Trading standards are investigating this possibility).

Eventually they refunded my money but I'm still not too happy. I may consider claiming the
difference if I buy from elsewhere. Advice on this would be appreciated.

Buyer BEWARE!!!

Cheers, Gary.

> Eventually they refunded my money but I'm still not too happy. I may consider claiming the
> difference if I buy from elsewhere. Advice on this would be appreciated.

I trust you will keep us posted, I would be very surprised if Xpedia paid you anything if you bought
from elsewhere. They DID refund your money didn't they ? I think they would ignore you if you
contacted then asking for say £50 because you bought some wheels from someone for £50 more than they
had advertised them for.

Let us know how you get on.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

I was almost tempted to buy the mavic wheelset myself before they instituted the £50 minimum
purchase clause.

From what you say, I think the only thing Xpedia did wrong is to charge your credit card before
actually knowing they might eventually run out of wheels.

If they were out of the fork you wanted than they should have said, sorry we can't put a blue
wheelset aside as in order to take advantage of the offer, everything must be instock.

e.g. the special priced wheelsets are first come first served.

In which case you would be bummed and probably slagging them off on this newsgroup anyway but at
least they would have been up front with you and you wouldn't be expecting them to sell you the
wheels at the special price.

But by debiting your card, they got greedy. They should have said no to you in the first instance.
In the end they only muddied the water on who's right and who's wrong.

By the way, its not uncommon for retailers to only offer discounts/special offers/incentives to
items instock instead of with special orders. Did the ad that promoted the wheelset have this
disclaimer on it? If not, it probably should have.

my two cents.

<gary.bartram*removethisbit*@lineone.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 9 Oct 2003 02:28:40 -0700, [email protected] (martin) wrote:
>

> >but it was a couple of years ago
>

> Heres what happened to me.
>
> I ordered some Mavic Cosmos wheels (blue) which were on special offer if I spent £50 or more on
> another item.
>
> I bought a set of forks thus qualifying me for the offer. Xpedia emailed saying the wheels were in
> stock but not the forks, they would wait until the forks arrived and ship with the wheels. Fair
> enough I thought.
>
> Anyway after a couple of weeks and a few emails from me requesting my order they told me that the
> wheels were no longer in stock but the forks had arrived! I could however buy the Black Mavics at
> an additional cost as the blue ones were were no longer available from Mavic. I replied that I
> would accept the alternative wheels but only at the same cost as the original order.
>
> So it seems that one of two possible scenarios has taken place:
> 1) They sold me the blue wheels and while awaiting my forks they decided to sell my wheels to
> someone else......or......
> 2) They used the offer as bait for orders and did not actually have the blue wheels in stock.
> (Trading standards are investigating this possibility).
>
> Eventually they refunded my money but I'm still not too happy. I may consider claiming the
> difference if I buy from elsewhere. Advice on this would be appreciated.
>
> Buyer BEWARE!!!
>
> Cheers, Gary.

gary.bartram wrote: /snip
> So it seems that one of two possible scenarios has taken place:
> 1) They sold me the blue wheels and while awaiting my forks they decided to sell my wheels to
> someone else......or......
> 2) They used the offer as bait for orders and did not actually have the blue wheels in stock.
> (Trading standards are investigating this possibility).
>
> Eventually they refunded my money but I'm still not too happy. I may consider claiming the
> difference if I buy from elsewhere. Advice on this would be appreciated.

I think you and Trading Standards will be interested in this story: http://tinyurl.com/qb1a . (Sorry
for not mentioning this earlier but I've only just remembered it).

My only personal experience with their *possible* dishonesty was a small one. I ordered some forks -
which were advertised as coming with a "free headset". I requested Xpedia to fit the headset crown
race for me and they agreed. When I got the forks, not only was the race not fitted but the headset
wasn't even included in the package! There was no trouble in getting the headset after I complained
but it makes me wonder if they ever intended to fit the part in the first place.

I've had no problems otherwise and they seem to generally offer a reasonable service. However,
Parker International is better and tend to stock much the same (and much more) stuff - so use Parker
in preference when prices are similar. Also checkout Oldham Cycle Centre and all the many other
roadie suppliers.

~PB

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:59:02 +0100, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorry to hear you had problems.
>
>I was almost tempted to buy the mavic wheelset myself before they instituted the £50 minimum
>purchase clause.
>
>From what you say, I think the only thing Xpedia did wrong is to charge your credit card before
>actually knowing they might eventually run out of wheels.

Yes, you're right they took my money and told me that the wheels were in stock. This makes it a
legally binding contract which they were later in breach of by withdrawing the offer.

>But by debiting your card, they got greedy. They should have said no to you in the first instance.
>In the end they only muddied the water on who's right and who's wrong.
>
>By the way, its not uncommon for retailers to only offer discounts/special offers/incentives to
>items instock instead of with special orders. Did the ad that promoted the wheelset have this
>disclaimer on it? If not, it probably should have.

They did not have any disclaimers but that's irrelevant according to TStandards. They admitted in
writing that the wheels were in stock at the time that they took payment. TStandards likened it to
going into a shop, buying something, having it taken back from you and sold to someone else.

Cheers, GaryB

>I think you and Trading Standards will be interested in this story: http://tinyurl.com/qb1a .
>(Sorry for not mentioning this earlier but I've only just remembered it).

Interesting......I've forwarded this article to trading standards. Also thanks for the tips on
alternative retailers. I've used Parkers before and will again. At the moment I'm making a bit of a
comeback so I'm upgrading the old Venom (Columbus) Max ready for next season
:)

Cheers, GaryB

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:47:11 +0100, "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Eventually they refunded my money but I'm still not too happy. I may consider claiming the
>> difference if I buy from elsewhere. Advice on this would be appreciated.
>
>I trust you will keep us posted, I would be very surprised if Xpedia paid you anything if you
>bought from elsewhere. They DID refund your money didn't they ? I think they would ignore you if
>you contacted then asking for say £50 because you bought some wheels from someone for £50 more than
>they had advertised them for.
>
>Let us know how you get on.

I'll keep you posted. Trading Standards reckon that a small claims court would probably rule that
Xpedia should make up the difference of any purchase made elsewhere. Not sure I can be bothered over
£40 though.....I'll see what else TS come up with.

Cheers GaryB

gary.bartram*removethisbit*@lineone.net wrote:
>> I think you and Trading Standards will be interested in this story: http://tinyurl.com/qb1a .
>> (Sorry for not mentioning this earlier but I've only just remembered it).
>
> Interesting......I've forwarded this article to trading standards. Also thanks for the tips on
> alternative retailers. I've used Parkers before and will again. At the moment I'm making a bit of
> a comeback so I'm upgrading the old Venom (Columbus) Max ready for next season
> :)

I'd be careful. Reading the article its not clear whether what Blueridge and Sidi are doing is legal
or not. Except for specific products (e.g. net book agreement) you are not allowed to control the
prices at which goods are sold. Remember the £18.6 million of fines earlier this year over the price
fixing of replica football gear?

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain