Anyone else had trouble with Joe Blow floor pump?

slgeo1

Jul 7, 2005
My partner bought a Joe Blow floor pump today. The $60AUD sort with the pressure gauge near the base not the top and the T valve not the combined valve to handle the different sorts of tube.

Anyway, we inflated a hybrid tire that wants 50-75psi to what the gauge said was 60psi and it was still soft! We ended up inflating it to what seemed right pressing a thumb against the tire and the gauge said about 110psi but I'm a bit worried about that pressure gauge; has anyone else had this kind of problem? I don't have another gauge here to check against but I should be able to check tomorrow:)

-- Sarah

slgeo1 said:
My partner bought a Joe Blow floor pump today. The $60AUD sort with the pressure gauge near the base not the top and the T valve not the combined valve to handle the different sorts of tube.

Anyway, we inflated a hybrid tire that wants 50-75psi to what the gauge said was 60psi and it was still soft! We ended up inflating it to what seemed right pressing a thumb against the tire and the gauge said about 110psi but I'm a bit worried about that pressure gauge; has anyone else had this kind of problem? I don't have another gauge here to check against but I should be able to check tomorrow:)

-- Sarah
I have the JoeBlow and it's worked well for me. I saw a post a few days ago (either on here or bikeforums.net) where someone was having a problem with the tire not inflating, but nothing about the pressure gauge. I have never independently checked the gauge on mine, but I trust it's correct. Perhaps it's defective? I'd stop by a bike shop and use their gauge to see what pressure the tire is inflated to.
I would do this before you start riding too much on the tires, because if they are overinflated, you run the risk of innertube blowouts.

I just got home where the pressure gauge I use for the car is. That measures up to 60psi. It says my bike tire was at 53psi. Nuts; we got the pump from a bike shop that's a bit out of our way (we went past it when going somewhere else today and stopped in) so we might have to make another trip especially to get the pump changed over.

I take it there's no callibration possible?

-- Sarah

slgeo1 said:
I just got home where the pressure gauge I use for the car is. That measures up to 60psi. It says my bike tire was at 53psi. Nuts; we got the pump from a bike shop that's a bit out of our way (we went past it when going somewhere else today and stopped in) so we might have to make another trip especially to get the pump changed over.

I take it there's no callibration possible?

-- Sarah
I don't think there's any calibration. I guess you'll just have to exchange the pump for another.